Cartoon Network International News Thread 14.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francisque

The EU quota is just a directive, and according to multiple court cases it doesn't even apply to theme-oriented TV networks.

A directive aims at a result, it's not a law. That's up to national governments. For an example France has a French quota law on free to air TV.

Discovery's channels in Italy definively don't fill an EU quota, besides Nove.

Tbh I see many European imports also on other feeds outside of the EMEA region (excluding the US).

In any case, WBD is planning to shut down Tooncast in Latin America.
Somehow probably they do, all the Discovery channels up here play some Italian content: although generally yeah, they can be more relaxed.

Although some regulators want the channels to actually play a European quota, such as Dutch CvDM.

But of coujrse, nothing like French ARCOM (ex CSA)

What? This is unacceptable. Why Zaslav? ugh...
Because it obviously was on autopilot.

I would've personally changed it into Boomerang since Cartoonito, but there you go

Reactions: J10

Francisque

Well, you've got some channels that do not respect any law, thinking of that: such as Warner TV.

So one more reason for CEE and the likes to play something else than an entire boxset of a show in a week, even if overnight.

CN Italy at least does show Ben 10 Challenge or some odd stuff at late night to the mix, it's still SLIGHTLY better, but it's better

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Yeah, that's my point. They go the cheapest route with no effort. But honestly it's just so boring. Almost a third of the daily schedule is Gumball. That is not normal longterm. Some EU quota nonsense is one thing. WBD lack of creativity is another. Earlier at least it was two three shows, even if still overplayed. Now it's just pointless to watch the channel overnight. If you look at other kids channels they don't do this. Not like this. Better off even with MTV playing videos from 3-6AM.

Cool_Cat

In Italy since the Discovery merge Boomerang became basically the paid version of Cartoonito (except it's even worse), while they moved everything over CN.

I wish they'd use at least the On Demand service and Now in Italy and the UK to put old programming in there.

Tooncast was on autopilot, and on a 12 hour schedule. They probably didn't even need an extra job to keep the channel running.

Speaking of Warner TV, in Italy out of all things... they aired Huckleberry Hound and the 60s Batman show in their former cartoon block. They still air those as fillers sometimes.

Markus Nelis

Because it obviously was on autopilot.

I would've personally changed it into Boomerang since Cartoonito, but there you go
That's not exactly why it needs to shut down though. It's the only classic animation channel left.

Turning it into Boomerang wouldn't make sense either as the channel was already shut down in LA. Would be strange for suddenly relaunching it.

And this next writing to multiple people here: It's not the end of the world if Gumball airs non-stop. It doesn't affect us because we sleep at night mostly. You can at least switch to the other channel or simply subscribe to HBO Max for variety. It's cheaper than traditional cable anyway, You need to start accepting that cable tv loses variety. It's main purpose is basically a binge-watch strategy at this point.

Daffyrocks

The Day the..... Roof Blew Up?!?
No matter what show is overplayed between TTG and Gumball or any other, they still need to do something about the channel variety on CN CEE.

They need to realise not everyone wants to rely on streaming as not all can afford it, plus there are conservative people who prefer the traditional TV watching

Francisque

That's not exactly why it needs to shut down though. It's the only classic animation channel left.

Turning it into Boomerang wouldn't make sense either as the channel was already shut down in LA. Would be strange for suddenly relaunching it.

And this next writing to multiple people here: It's not the end of the world if Gumball airs non-stop. It doesn't affect us because we sleep at night mostly. You can at least switch to the other channel or simply subscribe to HBO Max for variety. It's cheaper than traditional cable anyway, You need to start accepting that cable tv loses variety. It's main purpose is basically a binge-watch strategy at this point.
It would've been hardly seen as acceptable in the near past such as in 2000s/late 90s and isstill hardly acceptable as a channel in general

I guess it's seen less of a case with reliance of streaming, changes in technology and all of that, but still, I hardly can understand 7 hours of the same show overnight, if not more.
There's hardly any justification for them being so lazy, at least for me

Markus Nelis

They need to realise not everyone wants to rely on streaming as not all can afford it, plus there are conservative people who prefer the traditional TV watching
Streaming is cheaper than traditional cable television outside FTA channels. What do you mean exacly not affording? You can always put your TV subscription to pause or cancelling it and subscribing the service for your variety. The variety won't come back, it's sad but true.

Markus Nelis

I guess it's seen less of a case with reliance of streaming, changes in technology and all of that, but still, I hardly can understand 7 hours of the same show overnight, if not more.
There's hardly any justification for them being so lazy, at least for me
I can't blame them. They're playing it safe with the quota. I would honestly do the same thing. Especially when nearly everyone's sleeping.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
If it is solely about the quota, they have literally like 10+ shows to choose from...

Gumball
Power Players
Sonic Boom
Ninjago
Elliott from Earth
Jade Armor
Ivandoe
Cramp Twins
Robotboy
Hero 108
Garfield Show
Chop Socky Chooks
Fantastic Four World's Greatest Heroes

Plus they own literally hundreds of others out of which tens have dubs in all three languages. They ARE cheap and lazy. Not even Disney Channel or Nick in CEE goes to these lengths.

Markus Nelis

If it is solely about the quota, they have literally like 10+ shows to choose from...

Gumball
Power Players
Sonic Boom
Ninjago
Elliott from Earth
Jade Armor
Ivandoe
Cramp Twins
Robotboy
Hero 108
Garfield Show
Chop Socky Chooks
Fantastic Four World's Greatest Heroes

Plus they own literally hundreds of others out of which tens have dubs in all three languages. They ARE cheap and lazy. Not even Disney Channel or Nick in CEE goes to these lengths.
Most shows don't even have rights so idk what you're trying to prove here. And honestly I doubt they're interested getting re-rights. Only shows they still air/have rights to are Gumball, Ninjago, Jade and Ivandoe. Plus Elliott was left in a cliffhanger so that's not possible for them to rerun.

josie

The channel needs to close down at 21.00 cet like it used to and return at 06.00 cet. There's no point in being a 24 hour channel when 9 of those hours is one show non stop. Put another channel on from 9-6 like TNT/TCM in the past.

Markus Nelis

Listen. Here's how you can fix your Gumball night non-stop situation. One of the solutions will really help:

1. You're sleeping.
2. Switch to the other channel.
3. Subscribe to HBO Max.
4. Watch other programming if you have a 7 day catch-up (I have this).

At the end of the day, they can be lazy if they want. They surely don't care for complaints. I also believe that Gumball is getting very high ratings. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Gumball is basically a hit everywhere, even in the US where it continues to be the most aired show. Literally 90% of the CN feeds airs Gumball the most.

Daffyrocks

The Day the..... Roof Blew Up?!?

Markus Nelis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts