DC Comics Animation - Comic Book News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Possible Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Sad to see even the last book, slightly or loosely connected to the DCAU come to an end... and I don't even buy it!

Well this show had a short life-span... didn't it?

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
Yup.

Thanks for the news on the final issue Jim. Little surprised Torres went with Metallo, but like I said - giving fans what they didn't know they wanted.

I'm betting now that the new Batman title will be of serious interest to the Adventures-starved readers come the new year. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up using Chris Jones again for the art...

And seriously, I'm going a little batty...any Legion readers able to tell me if that Thanagarian story came about?

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
I'm betting now that the new Batman title will be of serious interest to the Adventures-starved readers come the new year. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up using Chris Jones again for the art...

Hopefully J Torres could also write for the series. But I'm looking forward to this comic mostly because:

- Whether DC realizes it or not, they need to have a good number of Super Hero titles available for all age, and while the Adventure Comics audience is for younger reader, I find that they do the job just fine.
- Since the show can't secure the rights to all DC Characters, I imagine that the comic will use some of the characters that won't be used on the show.

Road to Gotham

Yup.

Thanks for the news on the final issue Jim. Little surprised Torres went with Metallo, but like I said - giving fans what they didn't know they wanted.

I tought Jack Briglio was writing the finale issue.
Is that another name for Torres?

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider

J Torres and Chris Jones would be an interesting regular team-up on the Batman: Brave and the Bold comic...

I can't get excited about that comic until I see the show first unfortunately.

adoptedBatpuppy

Confidence is the Key
Yup.

And seriously, I'm going a little batty...any Legion readers able to tell me if that Thanagarian story came about?

Yeah, me too. There was a Thanagarian strory awhile back.

ShadowStar

It's apparently in issue 17, which is out now!

I have to say, 20 issues was far too short a life span for Legion of Super Heroes, even though I don't own any issues. I feel, from reading issue synopses, as though the comic stuck with Superman a bit too much and tried to tie in with the DCAU to get more readers, despite the fact that it can't possibly be in the DCAU. Still, it didn't deserve to end so soon. :(

I'll definitely be picking up the final issue of The Batman Strikes! Since Etrigan is involved, I have a strange feeling that the villain could be a resurrected Dracula. Wouldn't that be cool?

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
I feel, from reading issue synopses, as though the comic stuck with Superman a bit too much and tried to tie in with the DCAU to get more readers, despite the fact that it can't possibly be in the DCAU. Still, it didn't deserve to end so soon.

Doesn't that also describe the cartoon series, to a T? By the finale, they were throwing in Thanagarians and the original Brainiac voice and as much as they could to try and get viewers to tune in.

As little as I cared for the Legion series, I think they would have had a much better go of things if they'd started off using New Kids on the Block as a starting point. Supergirl instead of Superboy...then it wouldn't have even been a question of continuity.

And I spoke to the artist on the final issue, who revealed that *SPOILER*, Superclone from season two will make a one-panel appearance....

Antiyonder

Staff member
I feel, from reading issue synopses, as though the comic stuck with Superman a bit too much and tried to tie in with the DCAU to get more readers, despite the fact that it can't possibly be in the DCAU. Still, it didn't deserve to end so soon.

Doesn't that also describe the cartoon series, to a T? By the finale, they were throwing in Thanagarians and the original Brainiac voice and as much as they could to try and get viewers to tune in.

The comic I see was trying to implement the DCAU, but frankly, I chalk the cartoons usage of Brainiac's voice and The Thanagarians as a tribute. Much like Speedy's JLU appearance was a treat rather than merging of TT and JLU.

The fact that Superman gets the Bottle City of Kandor and Brainiac hailing from Culu makes it seem like they were trying to be a call back to the Silver Age.

Antiyonder

Staff member
Wasn't December suppose to be the debut of the Batman The Brave And The Bold comic? The solicitations for the month say nothing about it.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The World's Finest was the first to reveal and confirm this title was in the works, and how we have initial details on the upcoming Batman: The Brave and The Bold comic series. For details on the first issue, which contains a story by Matt Wayne, click here.

Stay tuned for the official cover art and more next week!

SaBaWoJuLe

Composite Creature? I know this is speculation (then again that is what this thread is to begin with), but could that be the Composite Superman? Thus, the TB&TB Superman will appear in the comic before the show has him, and it would be for the readers and fans to know that "that's what Superman is going to be like once we get to use him". If that's true, then cool.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Nice to see more info on this, although it's clearly not aimed at my demographic :anime:

None of the Johnny DC books were ever really aimed at our/your demographic.

Although I will definitely pick up a few issues. As far as the creative team are concerned:

- Matt Wayne is very Hit and Miss, especially were comics are concerned for some reason... but when he's good, he's very good!

- The art team... I am not aware of. Firstly, I hope they are good and will suit the style.

And I look forward to seeing the cover.

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
DC Comics released the solicitation information for their January 2009 shipping comics, including the DC animated titles (comics based on the cartoons we cover here at The World's Finest). And, after a month with no DC Animated titles to hit the shelves, they return! January 2009 sees the premiere of a new animated title, with the information provided by DC Comics.

BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #1

Written by: Matt Wayne
Art by: Andy Suriano & Dan Davis
Cover by: James Tucker

Jumping out of your TV and into your comics comes the highly anticipated new cartoon Batman: The Brave and The Bold! Each month, The Dark Knight Detective faces challenges that only he can solve – with a little help from his DC Universe pals! Thrill as Batman visits new places and old friends. Chill as he chases down the most powerful villains in the DCU, armed with only his Bat-gadgets and his wits!

In this awesome first issue, show writer Matt Wayne joins forces with Andy Suriano and Dan Davis to bring you "The Panic of the Composite Creature," a tale of terror and adventure! All this action plus Batman's secret files await you each and every month. So hang on to your seats, and get ready for the read of your life! On Sale January 28th, 2009.

Comments?

LegionsOfGotham

LEGIONSofGOTHAM.org Webmaster
Some news about the comic..the image that was solicited isn't the cover...

............and the comic will NOT be held to the same standards of many other animated comics..they can design and use characters before they appear in the show!

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The World's Finest has just confirmed the above details on the upcoming Batman: The Brave and The Bold animated comic series. The World's Finest has also confirmed that Matt Wayne is the regular ongoing writer for the series, and is actually currently working on issue #3.

Stay tuned for further updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts