DC Comics Animation - Comic Book News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Possible Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlissau

<<...I wonder if it'll draw in curious readers, or just make them roll their eyes...>>

I expect it will be the second-best selling issue of STRIKES of the year, behind Josh Elder's recent Superman/Batman crossover. Cuz you just can't beat Supes and The Bat together!

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
DC Comics released the solicitation information for their September 2008 shipping comics, including their DC animated titles (comics based on the cartoons we cover here at The World's Finest). Here's what we can expect in September from our favorite animated titles, with the information provided by DC Comics:

THE BATMAN STRIKES! #49

Written by: Matt Manning
Cover by: Christopher Jones & Terry Beatty
Cover by: Andie Tong

What happens when Batman and Robin chase villains around Gotham all night? Dick Grayson falls asleep in class! Between his angry teacher and the monstrous Killer Moth Robin's in for one long day. On sale September 3rd, 2008.

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES IN THE 31st CENTURY #18

Written by: J. Torres
Art by: Ethen Beavers
Cover by: Alexander Serra

Computer chaos hits New Metropolis, crippling the high-tech city and throwing the Legion into the Dark Ages as communications crash, starships collide and magic takes over! Brainiac 5 has to prove that science is stronger than sorcery...but will he have to give up his place in the Legion to do it? On sale September 10th, 2008.

Comments?

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Well it looks like Chris Jones won't get to do the Wonder Woman issue he was so looking forward to do, considering the next and final issue of Batman Strikes is a Halloween themed story.

Oh well, issue 49 looks entertaining at least.

I wonder why DC haven't cancelled Legion of superheroes yet?

ShadowStar

Well it looks like Chris Jones won't get to do the Wonder Woman issue he was so looking forward to do, considering the next and final issue of Batman Strikes is a Halloween themed story.

Oh well, issue 49 looks entertaining at least.

I wonder why DC haven't cancelled Legion of superheroes yet?

We can hope and pray that the 50th issue will involve Wonder Woman anyway... if only because it will have trick-or-treaters in it and that presents a shred of hope that we could have a story where Batman and Wonder Woman have to mingle with the crowd to catch a criminal. One can hope.

I guess they're being sympathetic towards LOSH (for the time being) since the show only lasted for 2 seasons. But more likely, they probably don't want to annoy J. Torres even further, who was also the main writer for TTG!

limel

I guess they're being sympathetic towards LOSH (for the time being) since the show only lasted for 2 seasons. But more likely, they probably don't want to annoy J. Torres even further, who was also the main writer for TTG!

Look at how long TTG lasted past the show's end; it was almost 30 issues, or 2 and 1/2 years! The reason it never got replaced, as far as I could tell, was because: a.) It lasted a short amount of time and was still getting strong sales, and b.) There was nothing to replace it;all the series that recently ended ended because there were things that replaced them[TTG with Tiny Titans, JLU with Superfriends, TBS with Brave and the Bold]. I think that's what's happening here; they recently started getting really good numbers, and there's also nothing to replace it.

Just my speculation, though.

P.S. That cover for "The Batman Strikes!" #49 looks sweet! It's good that the series is going to issue 50. :]

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
It'll be interesting to see where Torres takes Brainiac 5 following the events of the series finale. That's the great part about J - he progresses the stories.

ShadowStar

It'll be interesting to see where Torres takes Brainiac 5 following the events of the series finale. That's the great part about J - he progresses the stories.

Definitely. But is this issue set after "Dark Victory"? I doubt it, since the villain looks like it's going to be Mordru, not Brainiac 1.0.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The World's Finest has received new details on the final issue of The Batman Strikes. To check out details on The Batman Strikes #50, including the guest-star for the final issue, click here for more!

Stay tuned for further updates.

batsy2

wow we get etrigon in The Batman thats quite an idea oh well i cant wait to see what he will look like

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Excellent. Wish Etrigan would have been in the show, but oh well. I've been missing the recent issues with Killer Croc and Black Mask, but this is the one I MUST get.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
DC Comics released the solicitation information for their October 2008 shipping comics, including the DC animated titles (comics based on the cartoons we cover here at The World's Finest). Here's what we can expect in October from our favorite animated titles, with the information provided by DC Comics.

THE BATMAN STRIKES! #50 (FINAL ISSUE)

Written by: James Peaty
Art & Cover by: Christopher Jones & Terry Beatty

The Demon comes to Gotham in this final issue! On Halloween night, Batman and Robin will be forced to team up with an unpredictable force, the Demon Etrigan! On sale October 1st, 2008. FINAL ISSUE!

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES IN THE 31st CENTURY #19

Written by: J. Torres
Art & Cover by: Alexander Serra & John Stanisci

Heroes sometimes face the dilemma of choosing when to break rules in order to serve the greater good. That predicament is truly encountered when the Legion meet Booster Gold. But is he crossing the line or simply fulfilling his destiny? On sale October 8th, 2008.

Comments?

ShadowStar

Both covers are very nice - I especially like the one for The Batman's final issue, with him swooping over Gotham.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
Awesome final cover for TBS! I'm really going to miss seeing Chris Jones artwork in an animated style every month. If only JLU could have kept him on board full-time. Oh well.

Not too excited about Legion, since I'm waiting for a Brainiac-centered story, just to see how Torres would treat the character, post-finale...

Spider-Man

Lying in the Gutters has this rumor up:

I'm also told that the junior book "The Legion Of Super Heroes In The 31st Century," is also coming to an end with issue 20.

Looks like Jim was right about the book ending before the end of the year. It's a shame to see this last animated comic come to an end. There's so much of the show left unexplored.

Loudaddy777

'The Site That Must Not Be Named' has released information that Legion of Superheroes in the 31st Century will end with Issue #20.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
Hopefully, Torres was informed of this with enough advance warning to write something of a follow-up to Brainaic's departure in the series finale. I think that, more than anything else, would please fans...

...but then again, Torres has a way of pleasing the fans without giving them exactly what they want.

EDIT:

I remember one of the solits mentionning a bunch of rogue Thanagarians...but that was months back, and I've yet to see that actual story. Which issue was it printed in? Or was it ever printed?

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
DC Comics released the solicitation information for their November 2008 shipping comics, including information on the final issue of Legion of Super Heroes In The 31st Century in the animated comics line (comics based on the cartoons we cover here at The World's Finest). Here's what we can expect in November, with the information provided by DC Comics.

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES IN THE 31st CENTURY #20 (FINAL ISSUE)

Written by:
Jack Briglio
Art by: Phil Moy & John Stanisci
Cover by: Sanford Greene & Nathan Massengill

Metallo journeys to the future for the ultimate power source: Kryptonite! But if he destroys Superman, will the Legion’s fate unravel, as well? Don’t miss the exciting conclusion to this amazing series! On sale November 12th, 2008.

Comments?

A comic book spin-off for Batman: The Brave and the Bold is planned for a January 2009 launch, but that date is subject to change. We'll have details on that comic in October 2008 so stick around! Stay tuned for further updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!

Featured Posts