"Foster's Funtime For Imaginary Friends" (Hanna Barbera Studios)

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I was kinda wondering if they were doing something PPG related with Craig because he recently tweeted about visiting the U.S. studio, but I was shocked they’re doing something with Foster’s too. Unlike PPG, they didn’t really do anything with it after the original show ended. I can actually see how it could work as a preschool show since I imaginary friends is something normally associated with kids that age.

CartoonLover2604

Jerk, Dinger, Bling blong.
I don't know how to feel about this one. Fosters, I never considered as great or amazing as everyone on the internet has said but I always thought it was decent. Seeing how this is aimed at preschoolers, I obviously won't be tuning in often but maybe I'll watch the first few episodes for the sake of nostalgia.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends reboot… As a preschool series? Why not adapt every Craig McCracken show into anime like Powerpuff Girls Z? As skeptical as I am, hopefully it’s decently executed. Maybe remove some characters like Bendy and Cheese.

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Oh. Foster's coming back as a preschool show, huh?

Okay.

To tell you truth, Foster's is a decent show, but I don't think it really aged all that well compared to other CN Originals, and I do think it's overrated, but bringing back as a preschool show seems very interesting.

Though, I'm not sure if they're gonna use the same characters from the original or new generation of characters. Who knows?

I'll wait and see how the show plays out, but I hope it's good.

Maybe remove some characters like Bendy and Cheese.
That, also make Bloo more likable.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Unlike the PPG relaunch which I would hope is more inspirit with the original show and done to try getting a slightly older audience for regular CN, the Foster's relaunch is obviously aimed at the Cartoonito audience. Which... I guess on some level I can sort of see. I mean the original Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends ... I guess you could argue some parts like the emotional meat of some of the longer episodes could play in that audience. I mean it's clear a lot of what was built in Foster Lauren Faust used in My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic which was originally aimed much more (and always to some level had to be) for a younger crowd. But I'm guessing that it's more the general idea and some of the characters possibly coming back (Frankie and Mr. Herrimen and Madame Foster at the very least) but using an entirely different cast for a reason. Because yeah Bloo is NOT a character that would work for the pre school set as he was in the show and honestly Foster's in some of those later years grew such a sort of mean and sadistic streak with it's comedy it's clear that also wouldn't play with a pre school crowd. Still I'm sure this won't just be pandering nonsense since Craig is also behind this and I doubt he'd want Foster's just to be seen as a shill. Some of the later PPG stuff he didn't have a hand in and that wasn't his fault but if this is being done with his consent and involvement has to have some weight behind it so I imagine just wanting to take the idea of imaginary friend monsters and just having them for the playschool audience.

Action!

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It is good that they're bringing the creator back though. That's a good sign,

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
The idea of doing Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends for the Cartoonito crowd doesn't sound that unusual to me, honestly. When you think about it, the show's premise and setting already kind of sounds they'd work as a preschool show. In any event, I'm not appalled by this news since I was never a huge fan of Foster's; I didn't hate it or even dislike it, but there were better shows out there that tickled my fancy more.

I probably won't be watching this unless it gets really positive buzz, but this is far from the worst or most outlandish idea I've ever heard.

ToonDude03

“Heavens to Murgatroyd!”
I honestly think this is a good idea. Arguably the worst part about Foster's was its mean streak, so hopefully putting its world and characters in a preschool setting will help to tone that down. I think it can work well in this setting, and while I probably won't tune in regularly, I hope it's a hit.
I agree. One reason why it’s hard for me to go back to 2000’s cartoons like Foster’s, Billy and Mandy, and even Fairly Odd Parents (which I know is Nick and not CN) is because they’re too mean spirited, so a toned down Cartoonito version of it might be a good idea!

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
*party horn noise*

Happy April Foo-

*checks calendar*

Oh wait.

Uhhh-

Okay, well, since this isn't a joke, I'll comment on this for real. I've seen every Foster's episode (despite not watching it during its original run) and I thoroughly enjoy the series for what it is. I think this announcement makes a lot of sense considering the launch of Cartoonito. Plus, as @PinkieLopBun mentioned upthread, imaginary friends are associated with the preschool demographic. So I can actually see this working. Of course, being an adult, I won't necessarily tune into this regularly, but I am curious to see how it turns out.

Also, I'm really happy to see Craig McCracken back on board. Hopefully, this show will be better than the 2016 PPG reboot (which I seriously did not care for).

Frontier

Staff member
Considering it seems set later in the timeline, I'm guessing all the "main" cast of the original show have already been adopted at this point...not that it would rule out cameos :).

I guess Mr. Herriman and Mrs. Foster would probably still be there...well, maybe more likely the latter given Tom Kane's health issues :ack:.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I wasn't expecting a Fosters reboot as a preschool series. It kind of makes sense given that the premise is about imaginary friends, but it is rather unexpected. It might work out for the best since I also didn't care for how mean spirited the show could get. Bloo was so insufferable and unlikable, so removing that aspect, or at least toning it down considerable, for a younger audience might be good. I don't know if I'd want to watch it, but I might check it out if it looks or sound more interesting down the line.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
IMO, I think Foster's Home is McCracken's weakest show, and I dropped out of the series some time during the second season. The Flanderization of the characters caused my interest in the show to wane rather quickly.

If you want to bring back this series, a continuation wouldn't have been the best way to go about it, so I'm glad they're retooling it. Considering all the experience Craig received from his time at Disney and Netflix (his storytelling skills have become MUCH sharper following Wander Over Yonder and Kid Cosmic), I think he can correct the mistakes the original series made.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
I wasn't expecting a Fosters reboot as a preschool series. It kind of makes sense given that the premise is about imaginary friends, but it is rather unexpected. It might work out for the best since I also didn't care for how mean spirited the show could get. Bloo was so insufferable and unlikable, so removing that aspect, or at least toning it down considerable, for a younger audience might be good. I don't know if I'd want to watch it, but I might check it out if it looks or sound more interesting down the line.
I’d keep Bloo but make him less snarky, but they should remove the character Cheese as he would be an atrocious role model in a preschool show, he’s basically Elmo mixed with Caillou.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?
TVLand, CMT, MTV2 (as well as Nickelodeon channels) will be simulcasting Kids Choice Award 2024 according to zap2it!

Featured Posts