Powerpuff Girls Reboot (Hanna Barbera Studios)

TheGreatOne2

I wonder if there will be a crossover with Craig's Powerpuff Girls and his wife's Lauren Faust DC Super Hero Girls

the_joker

Can't think of a title
I'm surprised there's already a new PPG show already. I thought the 2016 show was still going, but apparently it ended a few years ago. It looks like this show is bigger than I thought since there was also an anime, and a live-action PPG is being produced. Personally, I think a live-action PPG sounds like a failure. Just look at the original cartoon, and see if anything in there actually lends itself to live-action. I don't know how I'd feel about Powerpuff Girls Z as I haven't seen it, but the few episodes I've seen from the 2016 show bored me to death.

As for the reboot (though the description almost suggests a continuation), I might check it out since Craig McCracken is involved.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
To be fair, why didn't they invite Craig to PPG16 in the first place? The show could've been better and it would still continue to this day if they wanted. It's already the second reboot. Shows rarely get a second reboot. So, with PPG it's kind of weird but whatever. At least we will get a better show compared to 2016 version.
Craig's a big name in the industry and would probably have cost CN more to bring him back than it would have to hire new blood to take his place like they ultimately did with the 2016 series.

Additionally, I think that Cartoon Network wanted something closer to their originals at the time, as opposed to McCracken's more violent and ironic tone. But clearly they also wanted the characters and iconography of the original series, and they just couldn't have it both ways, and that's one of the reasons why PPG 2016 underperformed.

As to why they're trying Powerpuff with McCracken again? The original series is still arguably CN's all-time money maker and there's an increasing demand to cash in on 90's and 2000's nostalgia, as well as interest in filling up streaming content for the companies involved. So I think Warner is footing the bill to bring Craig back, but to be fair, I don't recall if the article states that this is going to be exclusive to HBO Max or Cartoon Network.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Craig's a big name in the industry and would probably have cost CN more to bring him back than it would have to hire new blood to take his place like they ultimately did with the 2016 series.

Additionally, I think that Cartoon Network wanted something closer to their originals at the time, as opposed to McCracken's more violent and ironic tone. But clearly they also wanted the characters and iconography of the original series, and they just couldn't have it both ways, and that's one of the reasons why PPG 2016 underperformed.

As to why they're trying Powerpuff with McCracken again? The original series is still arguably CN's all-time money maker and there's an increasing demand to cash in on 90's and 2000's nostalgia, as well as interest in filling up streaming content for the companies involved. So I think Warner is footing the bill to bring Craig back, but to be fair, I don't recall if the article states that this is going to be exclusive to HBO Max or Cartoon Network.
They actually did ask him to work on the 2016 series. He just couldn’t.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yes. Or wait a little bit until he was done.
That would have most likely required them to wait for years until he wasn't under contract with Disney or with any other company, which they clearly didn't want to do. Getting different people on board instead of waiting for Craig to be available made sense from a business perspective. You could argue that it backfired when the 2016 series was not well received, but I don't think it would have made much sense from a business perspective to wait years for a reboot, especially when they most likely were more concerned about merchandise sales than anything else.

Vuxovich

You suppose Mark Oliver would be the new Him like in Powerpuff Girls Z? And Trevor Devall as Prof. Utonium, or Matt Hill (or his nephew Simon) as the Talking Dog?
No! At this moment, I am thinking about Clive Standen (or Damian O'Hare) as Professor Utonium, Sean Schemmel as Him and Brian Bloom as the Talking Dog. I am also thinking about Trevor Devall, Eric Bauza and Khoi Dao the potential new voices of the three Amoeba Boys after the said characters' previous voice actor (Chuck McCann) passed away. Your opinions on each voice actor choice?

Last edited:

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
No offense to the girls in the remake, but it's high time we heard the original PPG voices again (and in a non-Kid Cosmic setting) :anime:.
Like Tara Strong for instance. I haven’t seen Tara Strong voice too many roles lately aside from preschool shows.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
I think we can get a preview next summer. It's cool it's happening (this way) honestly. Better than that live nonsense. Plus unlike Ben 10 enough time in between. 2016 was decent, I didn't mind at all. But this should be at least as good as that special they did way back.

Frontier

Staff member
Craig says he plans for the art style to be truer to that of the original series with "some modern technical bells and whistles".

Also might be good to note that it's still in development and hasn't been greenlit yet.
I think that's what most people want from an aesthetic perspective :).

Action!

Craig said how he intends to bring back the original cast. Other than Tom Kane (who's retired) and Chuck McCann (who's dead), it could be possible.

That's really good news to hear.
Craig wants to bring back Sara Bellum:

Her face should probably be consistently shown for this go-round.
Yes!
Craig says he plans for the art style to be truer to that of the original series with "some modern technical bells and whistles".

Also might be good to note that it's still in development and hasn't been greenlit yet.
That is very good news to hear!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts