Powerpuff Girls Reboot (Hanna Barbera Studios)

JMTV

A Little Meatwad
Honestly the only people involved with that show that I feel/felt sorry for are the new PPG voice actors, for all the vitriol they received just for not being Cathy Cavadini, Tara Strong and E.G. Daily. The 2016 PPG series was not great, but it wasn't their fault, nor was it their faults for landing the roles; they just read the lines that were written for them like they were asked.
I agree. It's not their fault because they're simply doing their jobs. I blame on the incompetent writing and producing on the 2016 reboot more so than the voice actors.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
So, is this also going to be aimed at preschoolers like the Foster's reboot? The article just mentions "revisiting" and "expanding" upon the original universe. Is this PPG 2016 2.0?

I mean...I don't really see why we need ANOTHER Powerpuff Girls series. However...I do really like having Craig McCracken back. So...this is a mixed bag for me. I'm intrigued but not sold yet.

Also, love how Animation Magazine lists McCracken's past credits as Kid Cosmic and Wonder Over Yonder *slow clap*

Frontier

Staff member
This feels like a mea culpa to Greg in light of the success of Kid Cosmic and the less than stellar reception to the 2016 reboot and the live-action series.

It's only a shame that Tom Kane won't be able to come back in light of his health issues, given he was in the 2016 reboot and they will probably bring back as much of the old cast as possible :(.

Toonhead2002Ultra

Honestly, this could be cool. McCracken showed us that he can still create good content with Wander Over Yonder and Kid Cosmic (which I haven't seen but I've heard that it's about as good as his past work), and it could be a good way for Cartoon Network to bring good will back to the franchise after PPG 2016 (CW bullcrap not withstanding). My only mild concerns are that since Craig and Hannah Barbera Europe are working on a Foster's show as well they might be stretching out their work a little too much, and that the reboot could be too similar to the original and tell stories we've seen before, thus making it redundant. My tips on how this reboot can succeed are to bring back the original three voice actors for the girls back unlike PPG 2016, and maybe age up the girls a bit so they could change the type of stories they could tell. Maybe aim for a slightly older demographic ala Adventure Time, Regular Show, or Steven Universe or add some continuity. Of course I don't think the show has to be more mature or edgy in order to be good, all you need is fun entertainment. These are just some ideas. One thing I'm completely confident in, is that with Craig McCraken back at the helm, this well almost certainly be better than the first PPG reboot. No matter what happens though, I am glad that McCracken gets to work on his original creation again, even if the OG Powerpuff Girls are a little before my time (still a great show though).

Light Lucario

Staff member
While it might be a bit soon to try another PPG series after the 2016 reboot didn't do well, the fact that they got the original creator back does give the series more potential, as well as making people feel a bit more optimistic. I'm also hoping that it means that the CW live action show is less likely to happen now that they have a proper reboot in the works.

I liked the original series from what I remember, but I checked out of the 2016 series after a few episodes. I'll probably give this series a shot whenever it comes out.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I'm kind of tired of things being brought back in general. I did give the 2016 reboot a chance then walked away. I'll probably check this out and hopefully it will be good.... this time with lower expectations than before.

Also I've seen the CW comments and I have to tell you that (source)
1658209498036.png

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's cool Craig McCracken will once again be involved with a Powerpuff Girls project. I am curious to see how this will play out. I think between the original series and the 2016 one, they did a lot with the characters and villains, so it should be fun seeing what new stories they come up with.

TheGreatOne2

I am hoping this news is season 7 of the original series with all the main cast back minus Tom Kane who was forced to retired due to heath issues

Pooky

Staff member
I'm surprised that Craig is returning, because I always took The Powerpuff Girls Rule special as his last hurrah with the franchise. He's not the kind of creator who likes keeping his projects around for too long.

He was publicly not very happy about the characters being revived, but noted that he was powerless to stop it. He probably thinks if the characters are going to be (repeatedly) revived, he might as well be involved.

That said, equally, or perhaps more, likely he's just had a change of heart. That does happen as you get older.

Also I've seen the CW comments and I have to tell you that (source)
View attachment 298892

I do kind of wonder at this point it isn't something they're saying just to save face. It kind of reminds me of when Lionsgate wouldn't admit they weren't making their fourth Divergent movie; they were still going to make it, but with a different release date, then with a cut budget, then it was a TV show, then all the actors dropped out but they were still claiming it was coming. However many years later it never came, but I don't think they ever admitted it had been cancelled either. I guess we'll see.

cheril59

You suppose Mark Oliver would be the new Him like in Powerpuff Girls Z? And Trevor Devall as Prof. Utonium, or Matt Hill (or his nephew Simon) as the Talking Dog?

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Now that I think of it, while it feels like odd timing and and odd move that they are doing another PPG reboot with McCracken, I can understand why. Because Craig McCracken left Netflix after Kid Cosmic following Netflix’s layoffs, CN took the opportunity to recruit him back while he is still active in the industry.

Markus Nelis

To be fair, why didn't they invite Craig to PPG16 in the first place? The show could've been better and it would still continue to this day if they wanted. It's already the second reboot. Shows rarely get a second reboot. So, with PPG it's kind of weird but whatever. At least we will get a better show compared to 2016 version.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts