Fox Kids/Jetix & Saban Library - Missing on Disney+

JulianRO

Interesting, but SIP already no longer exists. The earliest available Full Accounts report for SIP is from 2016, and since then, it mentions what I said before, that BVS Entertainment wants to integrate SIP into it.

So, it took Disney 14 years to absorb SIP. (2009-2023), or 11, if we consider that Disney took complete ownership of SIP in 2012.

GRPHX

How much does the parent company's absorbs of a defunct company have to do with the use of internally generated assets by the parent company's defunct subsidiaries before? Is it more difficult for a company to absorb if it a subsidiary is not in active asset production? But wasn't this the case when 20th Studios or ABC Family Worldwide were taken over?

It's also funny that Disney took 100% ownership of a company whose assets were liquidated in 2009 in 2012. For example, last production of BVS Entertainment is Power Rangers RPM and it did not produce anything after this title but company is still active. In summary, using some assets has nothing to do with absorbation.

I don't understand why they pay for something they don't use. In any case, no BVS assets are available outside the U.S. (The Tick, Sweet Valley High, A.T.O.M.)

There are also Richie Rich's Christmas Wish and Three Days movies available at USA.

Except for Richie Rich, none of them are on Disney+.

One is exclusive to Hulu subscribers, the others are available on Prime Video only USA. In addition Three Days has been purged from all Disney+ global libraries except Australia.

Last edited:

JulianRO

It's also funny that Disney took 100% ownership of a company whose assets were liquidated in 2009 in 2012.
SIP wasn't liquidated in either 2009, or 2012 as I said. In 2009, the company just went dormant (didn't do anything).

In 2012 Disney got complete control of SIP by purchasing Pueblo Films AG's share.

Since 2012, Disney started to integrate it slowly into BVS Entertainment, process which ended in October last year.

I also noticed that the Full Accounts for SIP Animation started to be done in 2012 (I guess when Disney took complete control over SIP), but the reports between 2012 and 2016 can't be downloaded. (or they could be downloaded back then but they aren't available for download anymore)
Screenshot_20240201_115354_Chrome.jpg

GRPHX

That's what I meant. Whether they absorb or not. The wheel was always Disney's. Some of these assets were in BVS before 2001. So, it wouldn't make any difference whether the three Disney assets produced by SIP were absorbed by BVS or not. Only institutional bureaucracy would increase. This still didn't stop someone from providing a partial license for ATOM to Multicom. In short, it is something the company does for its internal decision-making mechanism. There is no point in getting your hopes up for Stream.

If Disney had done this much earlier, perhaps some of the titles for which SIP was a copyright claimant, such as Wunschpunsch or Princess Sissi, could have been saved from being absorbed by CineGroupe.

Last edited:

Moe

Before I came here, I didn't realize that Disney own multiple companies like Saban/BVS, SIP and Miramax prior to consolidation and divestiture. After saw @harry580's posts about Saban/BVS and SIP, I had to spent much of my time to research into those companies to make a better understanding and it was very huge homework for me.

Funny, Disney is kinda heavy bloated corporation after multiple acquisitions and that changed after Disney sold Miramax off and sold some of BVS like Power Rangers to Hasbro and Bobby's World to other company. I do think Disney should sell all remaining of BVS and SIP contents (exception of Marvel) if they have no plan to make those streamable on Disney+ or license out to other streaming services or make available on home video. Tubi would be a perfect home for old animated contents.

JulianRO

I do think Disney should sell all remaining of BVS and SIP contents (exception of Marvel) if they have no plan to make those streamable on Disney+ or license out to other streaming services or make available on home video.
I really wanted honestly, to see all BVS and SIP content to be owned by WildBrain. Maybe WildBrain is a much smaller company, who doesn't have any streaming service, but they at least post all episodes from their cartoons on YouTube.

Disney not only doesn't post or stream them somewhere, but they also don't do absolutely nothing with them.

There are very little exceptions such as The Tick, Richie Rich's Christmas Wish, and all Marvel content produced for Fox Kids, which are on Disney+, but the rest of them aren't on their platform yet.

Disney mainly cares only about their own content, or the ones they do have after acquiring major studios. (Marvel, 21CF, etc.)

Saban/BVS and SIP are something "invisible" for Disney, to say that.

• Agree
Reactions: Moe

GRPHX

No one will be interested in old animation, most of which is from the VHS tape era, so Disney couldn't sell BVS even if it wanted to. Wildbrain already has the full legacy of DIC. They do not earn any income from these. There are a few older DIC titles available on Paramount+ just.

But I looked at how the music produced by Haim Saban and Shuki Levy was used by other content-owning small-scale companies (like Mediawan, WildBrain, and Schavick Entertainment). What I will say is this. There's no heavy musical license here. There are 15-20 usable series in this library. The rest are low-budget weird animations such as Gulliver's Travels, Around the World in 80 Dreams, Monsters Ranch, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes etc. There's nothing wrong with putting these on Tubi.

But bigger budget and well-known titles (such as W.I.T.C.H., A.T.O.M., Diabolik, Life with Louie, Eek The Cat, Sweet Valley High etc.) should be on Disney+. No one is asking too much from Disney in this sense. In fact, the number of old BVS content they bring is directly proportional to the number of old Disney content. (Fillmore, PB&J Utters, Pepper Ann, Blue Bear)

The problem is that they bring old Disney titles directly, while for others they are wasting time with Prime Video. They did the same for LA Law and Ally McBeal though.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Moe

No one will be interested in old animation, most of which is from the VHS tape era, so Disney couldn't sell BVS even if it wanted to.
Yes, make sense and it was my original answer to @harry580 based on my theory. I told Harry that Disney possibly tried to sell remaining of BVS and SIP contents for years but no one is interested to buy.

Ultimately, Disney had no choice but end up absorb those into Disney.

JulianRO

The bad thing is that it's been 22 years since Disney acquired Fox Family Worldwide and it did pretty much nothing to the library.

I'm curious why they bought FFW in this case? They spent 5 billion dollars, though, and it was a pretty big purchase back then.

GRPHX

Yes, make sense and it was my original answer to @harry580 based on my theory. I told Harry that Disney possibly tried to sell remaining of BVS and SIP contents for years but no one is interested to buy.

Ultimately, Disney had no choice but end up absorb those into Disney.
They didn't even care about W.I.T.C.H., even though it was adapted from a property of their own franchise. But Disney has already purged a lot from this library over the years.

Most of Jean Chalopin's C&D productions returned to AB Productions/Mediawan. CineGroupe co-productions were also back to their's co-owners. Power Rangers and related titles (not sure about Mystic Knights) went to Neo-Saban then Hasbro. Digimon rights have expired. Other Animes have expired. Distribution rights to DIC titles were returned in 2006. Oban returned to his creator. Rights to all Jetix original programming except DTVA-BVS titles were relinquished. So there's not much left.

Considering where they came from, it would be best for Fox Family/Family Channel and Saban/BVS content from 2002 and before to be absorbed into 20th Century.

My only concern here is that Disney is doing to an entire group of entities what it did to TVS in England. (God bless.) Otherwise, BVS-SIP assets would sooner or later be absorbed by Disney and become more visible. It's no surprise for me. ;)

That's not the only animation library missing from Disney's streaming services, after all. Many of the TVA shows are missing for example.

The bad thing is that it's been 22 years since Disney acquired Fox Family Worldwide and it did pretty much nothing to the library.

I'm curious why they bought FFW in this case? They spent 5 billion dollars, though, and it was a pretty big purchase back then.
Actually, there are IPs they can use here for revival/reboots

I too wonder why they did this. I've heard that they have a particularly large selection of family movies.

Last edited:
  • Friendly

JulianRO

Hopefully now they'll do once and for all something with the SIP library if they finally absorbed that company.

Moe

It has with quick cash grab when pay linear TV was lucrative at that time and it made Disney richer fast to withstand the disappointed box office sales with some of films, so when box office for Disney movies got improved and become a biggest moneymaking so they de-emphasize on shows previously ran on secondary channels (Toon Disney and Jetix).

They didn't even care about W.I.T.C.H., even though it was adapted from a property of their own franchise. But Disney has already purged a lot from this library over the years.
That's not the only animation library missing from Disney's streaming services, after all. Many of the TVA shows are missing for example.
Yeah, there is much more with others too. Disney has massive contents, including old historical contents and they didn't make those as streamable. I remembered to see Disney aired those contents when they were on Vault Disney block on Disney Channel in late 1990s and early 2000s. Toon Disney/Jetix aired tons of contents. I'm not good with statistic - I do feel that 35% of Disney libraries are streamable since 65% aren't, including old contents from Disney, ABC, Fox, Nat Geo, Jetix, Muppets, BVS, SIP, Lucasfilm, Touchstone and others.

I watched few random W.I.T.C.H. episodes when they aired on Toon Disney but haven't catch with all of it because of hard to with linear channel, and I would have to record with multiple VHS tapes. Back in 2004, VCR was more popular than DVD recorder and blank VHS tapes sold in bundle at Sam's Club and Costco. I didn't get first DVR until 2012 and I recorded some shows via computer with TV tuner - it was long time ago.

JulianRO

It has with quick cash grab when pay linear TV was lucrative at that time and it made Disney richer fast to withstand the disappointed box office sales with some of films, so when box office for Disney movies got improved and become a biggest moneymaking so they de-emphasize on shows previously ran on secondary channels (Toon Disney and Jetix).
Yes but still, they acquired a quite large library of cartoons, live-action series and movies. They can't let the "mold stay on them" to say that.

Moe

Yes but still, they acquired a quite large library of cartoons, live-action series and movies. They can't let the "mold stay on them" to say that.
Yes, I can see but that's Disney for y'all.

Disney paid this acquisition off with big help from lucrative TV business.

Igorov

I really wanted honestly, to see all BVS and SIP content to be owned by WildBrain. Maybe WildBrain is a much smaller company, who doesn't have any streaming service, but they at least post all episodes from their cartoons on YouTube.

Disney not only doesn't post or stream them somewhere, but they also don't do absolutely nothing with them.

There are very little exceptions such as The Tick, Richie Rich's Christmas Wish, and all Marvel content produced for Fox Kids, which are on Disney+, but the rest of them aren't on their platform yet.

Disney mainly cares only about their own content, or the ones they do have after acquiring major studios. (Marvel, 21CF, etc.)

Saban/BVS and SIP are something "invisible" for Disney, to say that.
Wildbrain is the owner of many shows such as Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff, Beverly Hills Teens. And none of these shows are on YouTube. Just because it exists in English doesn't mean it exists. People want to see these shows in their native language.

Selling BVS is not a solution. Disney should sell its animation part entirely. Even Spider-Man TAS cannot be watched on Disney+. There are missing language options and poor image quality. It's ridiculous that it's a Marvel hub. Marvel should be sold too.

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Staff member
The missing Saban library isn't the only thing that's missing that belongs to Disney, there's also the TVS (Television South, which was part of ITV in the UK between 1982-1992) archive which Disney inherited through the same Fox/Saban acquisition (as Fox Kids Worldwide acquired The Family Channel, which bought TVS when they lost their franchise to broadcast to Southern England in 1993), apparently they lost the rights paperwork to a lot of the programming, however some shows such as The Ruth Randell Mysteries were syndicated by Disney. They could reclaim the programming, but it has to go through an expensive legal process, if the show has little value, there's no point.

Some of the obscure parts of the Saban library was distributed via DVD in the UK but not via Disney, but under the Jetix brand. I guess Disney doesn't want to be associated with it as they have they own programming which deemed to have a higher quality.

JulianRO

Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff, Beverly Hills Teens. And none of these shows are on YouTube.
Inspector Gadget is on YouTube, posted by the official WildBrain channel.

Selling BVS is not a solution.
Clearly not. But Disney will continue not to care about the Saban/FK/Jetix library. Probably somebody else will think about them. Those series and cartoons "devalorized" a lot after so many years, I can say they are quite "cheap" now to buy.

Yes, I can see but that's Disney for y'all.
Yeah, very very rude from their part.

Last edited:

GRPHX

Some of the obscure parts of the Saban library was distributed via DVD in the UK but not via Disney, but under the Jetix brand. I guess Disney doesn't want to be associated with it as they have they own programming which deemed to have a higher quality.
They were pursuing some sort of alternative differentiation strategy. For this reason, Disney has always kept the Jetix brand independent. Because Fox Kids/Jetix and Saban programming was slightly different from Disney's general concept. This is the reason why they do not offer it under their own brand. You could see shows like you would never see at Disney. Different concepts etc. But that's no reason to pull them away from Disney+ these days.

In this way, it was also able to reach an audience that it could not normally reach with the Disney brand.

Moe

Yeah, very very rude from their part.
Disney is notorious for not take care with very large numbers of old contents aren't licensed out on normal basis.

When Disney contracted with Netflix to carry many Disney movies and shows but they left nearly all old contents out, and we had to wait until Disney+ launched and finally, they got numbers of old contents, but many numbers of contents are still missing.

I don't know about why Disney stopped add old contents to Disney+ and Disney seems care about Nat Geo more than all of other brands.

Note: I'm going to wrap up the conversation on my part because it isn't health for me to criticize Disney for those problems that I already discussed in other threads. Let me assure you - all of you are fine and I do think that we shouldn't talk about whether to sell because it won't help to contribute the discussion and possibly annoy other members. We should talk about missing contents to be added on Disney+.

Last edited:

JulianRO

that sell BVS and SIP are ideal option if Disney has no plan to use those and if there are interesting party to buy. Now, it is already too late
Selling doesn't seem to be possible anymore, because SIP got folded into BVS Entertainment 3 months ago. As you said, it's too late now. No one is interested in buying them, they are quite old and not even remasterized at first.

But as you say, if they don't care about these contents anymore they should sell them to somebody else. This would be the best option, and in my opinion, I still think WildBrain would be the best one, since they also own most of DIC's library.

Disney sadly doesn't care about the feedback you send. I also sent them feedbacks for adding some SIP/BVS shows and nothing happened.

We got Disney+ here in June 2022, let's say that this service is still "young" here, but in US it's already available since November 2019, and they don't care even now of their old contents.

Excepting "The Tick" (which was already on Hulu) then yeah, they keep BVS/SIP's content just locked in their archive.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts