Fox Kids/Jetix & Saban Library - Missing on Disney+

RegularCapital

Staff member
Interestingly enough, I found that, Bruno Hoefler, who was the president of Pueblo Films AG (that company who holded a 49,7% stake in SIP Animation), was also working for Saban International N.V. back in the 90s.

View attachment 307248
View attachment 307249

I'm really curious who was this "International Film Productions" company. This company holded that 49,7% stake from SIP between November 1991 and February 1996, and then Pueblo Films AG holded it.

The only thing we know about IFP (the name of International Film Productions abbreviated) is that this company was from Luxembourg.

International Film Productions was a subsidiary of CLT (Compagnie Luxembourgeoise de Télédiffusion, literally Luxembourg Television Broadcasting Company), better known as RTL (Radio Television Luxembourg).

RTL signed a production and distribution deal with Saban in the early 90's.

JulianRO

According to this post made by a Discord user, many nostalgic shows are in the wagon. I don't trust its accuracy. However, I feel pain once again because we and our library have been forgotten by Disney again
I wouldn't trust random posts made on Discord by random people. And also, why Disney would leak what's coming up this year and the next of the year on Disney+? It wouldn't make sense for them.

Mandouga

The list also includes Welcome to Pooh Corner (one of the first series DISN aired when it launched in 1983), and Dumbo’s Circus (made by the same people as “…Pooh Corner”). OTOH, Quack Attack (a compilation of classic shorts)? Yeah, this is definitely too easy. That’s like bringing back Donald Duck Presents, Good Morning Mickey, Mouse Tracks, or Mouseterpiece Theater…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JulianRO

That list is fake. Disney agents aren't stupid to leak what will come up, they would be fired later. (if you talk about that upcoming Disney shows on D+)

Moe

That list is fake. Disney agents aren't stupid to leak what will come up, they would be fired later. (if you talk about that upcoming Disney shows on D+)
I remember about someone fooled me about House of Mouse come to Disney+ that disappointed me and @TsWade2 very much, and that led me to be distrust with social media.

Hey Disney, quit wait and time to add more contents, so enough is enough.

GRPHX

The Saban Entertainment page on Wikipedia now looks more like a Corporate Disney company. Finally someone edited stuff from 20 years ago. It was a great nonsense that the relevant title was still "Saban" when there was a successor company called BVS.

So, until a few weeks ago, it was difficult to understand that the statements in this title referred to a content library belonging to Disney. Not anymore. Whoever thought of adding the logo, especially the Disney chateau/castle, did a great favor for the corporate legacy.

However, the biggest thing here was to reconsider the titles of all related companies.

Which is just a small part. When I add what I found in the French state archives, it will become clearer what Disney does and does not have. However, since I do not know French, parsing these documents is a really time-consuming task.

GRPHX

Do you think this development could lead to the return of some Fox Kids/Jetix/Saban/BVS/SIP properties?

GRPHX

Oh I get it! I know, I mean, Sony won't make the decision, Disney will. Considering Disney has the right to decide what happens on physical media. What are the chances that Disney will offer a variety of obscure and legacy titles on home media that it cannot offer due to onerous licensing conditions and residuals?

Moe

What are the chances that Disney will offer a variety of obscure and legacy titles on home media that it cannot offer due to onerous licensing conditions and residuals?
I don't think Disney has licensing obligation to release BVS/Jetix shows and movies to DVD/BD/UHD and as for residual payment, Disney only need to pay 0.3% per DVD/BD/UHD copy that is much small fraction and this residual formula for home video is heavily favored to studios since writer and actor unions want between 0.6% to more than 1%.

There is no hurdle nor obstruction for Disney to release BVS/Jetix shows and movies on DVD/BD/UHD.

Real problem - Disney is very closed to DVD/BD/UHD for most TV shows and they haven't release latest seasons for 20th Century shows after Disney bought in 2019 tha frustrated the collectors. I dubbed Disney as most incompetent or dumb for not make their shows available to physical media, compared to competitor studios like WB and Paramount (ViacomCBS) did awesome job with physical media releases, and NBCUniversal is just average.

GRPHX

I don't think Disney has licensing obligation to release BVS/Jetix shows and movies to DVD/BD/UHD and as for residual payment, Disney only need to pay 0.3% per DVD/BD/UHD copy that is much small fraction and this residual formula for home video is heavily favored to studios since writer and actor unions want between 0.6% to more than 1%.

There is no hurdle nor obstruction for Disney to release BVS/Jetix shows and movies on DVD/BD/UHD.

Real problem - Disney is very closed to DVD/BD/UHD for most TV shows and they haven't release latest seasons for 20th Century shows after Disney bought in 2019 tha frustrated the collectors. I dubbed Disney as most incompetent or dumb for not make their shows available to physical media, compared to competitor studios like WB and Paramount (ViacomCBS) did awesome job with physical media releases, and NBCUniversal is just average.
I said the same my friend. The home video market is well-suited to release past BVS and Jetix properties compared to the stream market. I've heard Disney is very bad at physical media. But considering the international complaints about dubbing and the number of unremastered videos, the poor quality of service in the streaming market comes as a complete surprise.

• Agree
Reactions: Moe

Moe

But considering the international complaints about dubbing and the number of unremastered videos, the poor quality of service in the streaming market comes as a complete surprise.
Yes, I notice and it is horrible, and it is very major barrier to people don't read shows and movies in English. It is just bad as DVD/BD came without closed caption and subtitle for deaf viewers that frustrated me for years.

If Disney actually care (have a heart), they would include mastered copies of BVS/Jetix shows on Disney+ when first launch to European market. American market got numbers of remastered Disney shows. That's not fair to international market.

As for me, I got several problems with Disney and I despise their current business practice, especially minimal to no physical media for many shows, limited remastered shows, no discount for old movies and shows (all other studios usually drop by $5 from $19.99 to $14.99 after one year since Disney stays at $19.99, even that includes to 20th Century titles, and Disney bumped all X-Men movies from $14.99 to $19.99) and limited to no special sale (Previous seasons of TV shows got discount at $9.99 for regular shows $14.99 for premium shows - all per season before new season premieres) and lack of contents on Disney+. You may know I dislike Zaslav very much but WB did awesome job to make much of their contents available to buy.

There are some people cancelled Disney+ out of anger over not enough old contents and I don't blame them at all, and I totally understand their frustration toward at Disney. My sympathies to fans, collectors, animators and translators (who make dubbing) in the US and around the world due to most closed decision on Disney side.

GRPHX

Disney+ in European countries (including Denmark where I live) for some reason even inexplicably removed Richie Rich's Christmas Wish (one of the few Disney-owned non-Marvel Saban titles explicitly available on Disney+) from its platform earlier this month.

Source: Disney+ Removes Original Movies & Series In EMEA
Although it was part of the ABC Family library, Disney later reclassified some family films in that library as DCOMs.
IMG_20240224_162721_418.jpg

Still available in Asia Pacific and the Americas

Looks like Disney sent this one to Prime Video too.

ABC Family movies were also removed last year. The movie Three Days, which came from the Saban library, was also seen in this way and was removed from most countries. Currently available only on Prime Video same like Sweet Valley High and A.T.O.M..

So the logic here is not that this is a Saban movie, let's get rid of it. All of these were seen and removed in one package. It's not the same nonsense that caused SVH and Alpha Teens to be on Prime.

These two Saban films were never popular in EMEA, especially Eastern Europe. The real problem is that Marvel cartoons such as X-Men and Spider-Man are not available in high quality. (Missing seasons, Missing dubbings bad footage etc.)

Disney's global content management is a disgrace. There is no transparency, customer service is bad, localizations are terrible, Niche market activity and niche market offering are also terrible.For example, Life with Louie is as popular as Gravity Falls in my country, and having it in the library could have a big impact. But this was never considered, instead we got things like Quack Pack or Goof Troop. These have never been popular in our country.

I cannot understand why a company that has been broadcasting in EMEA for years has such a bad EMEA organization.
Yes, I notice and it is horrible, and it is very major barrier to people don't read shows and movies in English. It is just bad as DVD/BD came without closed caption and subtitle for deaf viewers that frustrated me for years.

If Disney actually care (have a heart), they would include mastered copies of BVS/Jetix shows on Disney+ when first launch to European market. American market got numbers of remastered Disney shows. That's not fair to international market.

As for me, I got several problems with Disney and I despise their current business practice, especially minimal to no physical media for many shows, limited remastered shows, no discount for old movies and shows (all other studios usually drop by $5 from $19.99 to $14.99 after one year since Disney stays at $19.99, even that includes to 20th Century titles, and Disney bumped all X-Men movies from $14.99 to $19.99) and limited to no special sale (Previous seasons of TV shows got discount at $9.99 for regular shows $14.99 for premium shows - all per season before new season premieres) and lack of contents on Disney+. You may know I dislike Zaslav very much but WB did awesome job to make much of their contents available to buy.

There are some people cancelled Disney+ out of anger over not enough old contents and I don't blame them at all, and I totally understand their frustration toward at Disney. My sympathies to fans, collectors, animators and translators (who make dubbing) in the US and around the world due to most closed decision on Disney side.
There's a lot to say, brother, but clowns like Chapek, Iger and Zaslav left us nothing to talk about.

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Staff member
Here's something I've shared on the forums a long time ago, but is relevant to this thread. Before the pandemic, I used to volunteer at a charity shop (which has since closed), and as mentioned before quite a lot of Fox Kids/Jetix (BVS) library programming that was released on DVD in Europe (that didn't usually air on the channel).

I often joke that the charity shop had a bigger Jetix library than Disney+. :D

Here's The Amazing Adventures of Peter Pan, released by Maximum Entertainment, and Copyright BVS Entertainment, I guess Disney wants to be more associated with their version of Peter Pan. There was a prior Fox Kids release for this too.

IMG_20180224_100508.jpg
IMG_20180224_100517.jpg

Here's Rainbow Brite, again released by Maximum Entertainment, and Copyright BVS Entertainment. The show belongs to Disney, but the IP belongs to Hallmark Cards.

IMG_20200208_103613 (1).jpg
IMG_20200208_103617.jpg

You would also be interested in knowing that Maximum had distribution rights over the SIP titles, as you can see on the following link: Maximum Entertainment

I use Oliver Twist as an example of a SIP title, here's an eBay listing for the Fox Kids version (although at the time Fox Kids Europe was already majority owned by Disney). As you can see the copyright is shared between BVS and SIP. As Maximum had distribution rights over the SIP titles, BVS always had content rights over it anyway and could distribute it anyway they choose.

Also here's a Dutch example:

GRPHX

Here's something I've shared on the forums a long time ago, but is relevant to this thread. Before the pandemic, I used to volunteer at a charity shop (which has since closed), and as mentioned before quite a lot of Fox Kids/Jetix (BVS) library programming that was released on DVD in Europe (that didn't usually air on the channel).

I often joke that the charity shop had a bigger Jetix library than Disney+. :D

Here's The Amazing Adventures of Peter Pan, released by Maximum Entertainment, and Copyright BVS Entertainment, I guess Disney wants to be more associated with their version of Peter Pan. There was a prior Fox Kids release for this too.

View attachment 307401
View attachment 307402

Here's Rainbow Brite, again released by Maximum Entertainment, and Copyright BVS Entertainment. The show belongs to Disney, but the IP belongs to Hallmark Cards.

View attachment 307403
View attachment 307404

You would also be interested in knowing that Maximum had distribution rights over the SIP titles, as you can see on the following link: Maximum Entertainment

I use Oliver Twist as an example of a SIP title, here's an eBay listing for the Fox Kids version (although at the time Fox Kids Europe was already majority owned by Disney). As you can see the copyright is shared between BVS and SIP. As Maximum had distribution rights over the SIP titles, BVS always had content rights over it anyway and could distribute it anyway they choose.

Also here's a Dutch example:
In fact, the shows here mostly constitute the rental portion of BVS's library. Two DIC programs, two anime. The Peter Pan version is not the second one, which was a 1990s FOX-TMS co-production and is owned by Disney. Dennis and Care Bears are DIC properties. Mon Colle Knights is entirely an anime. In this 3 DVD set, the only ones remnants on Disney today are Oliver Twist, Iznogoud and Spy Dogs.

I've decided not to ask why a charity foundation library has more Jetix-branded TV shows when even a show like House of Mouse isn't on Disney+. Anyone can't expect Spy Dogs or Iznogoud to be there in a situation like this.

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Staff member
I've decided not to ask why a charity foundation library has more Jetix-branded TV shows when even a show like House of Mouse isn't on Disney+. Anyone can't expect Spy Dogs or Iznogoud to be there in a situation like this.

These were random drop-off donations by the public, the charity had nothing to do with Jetix. But yeah, House of Mouse should be on Disney+, not sure if it's a legal clearing thing considering the amount of characters on the show.

However it does mention Great Ormond Children's Hospital on the Peter Pan release, as the Hospital was gifted the UK IP rights by JM Barrie (and with no expiry).

GRPHX

These were random drop-off donations by the public, the charity had nothing to do with Jetix. But yeah, House of Mouse should be on Disney+, not sure if it's a legal clearing thing considering the amount of characters on the show.
Of course, I realize these are donations made by people.

I mentioned House of Mouse as an example. I don't really care if it's on Disney+ or not. I just care of my own shows.

I like that it says:
"BVS's Adventures of Oliver Twist"
View attachment 307405
Saban's Little Mermaid has same name on DVD covers BVS's Little Mermaid

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts