'Gargoyles' on DVD...!

Bleu Unicorn

\ (^v^) /
Ahh, good ole fandom. It's no secret I'm severely obsessed with Disney's Gargoyles. (C'mon I've got a fanfic going right now!) And so when I heard last year that they'd be releasing a DVD of the first five episodes I was happy. Even though it was probably going to be the horribly chopped up version they made into a "movie".

Well anyway, Greg Weisman - the creator of Gargoyles - revealed in his latest Ask Greg responses that he had a "brainstorming meeting" with Disney about said DVD last November that was "very exciting". Although at first they had said they would release only one DVD (the aforementioned chopped up "movie") and make more on the condition that it sold well, at this latest talk, they proposed "releasing the whole first season with a commentary track and an extra or two."

Unfortunately, Greg hasn't heard anything farther, but I'm crossing my fingers
crossfingers.gif
and hoping.

Joker85

Clown Prince
While I'm not as obsessed as Bleu ;) ... I'm still really excited about this!! Gargoyles was one of my favorite shows once upon a time and I haven't seen any in quite a while. But to have them on DVD with commentaries and everything would be too great to pass up. Let's all hope that this happens! If BTAS can't be treated with respect, at least this show could.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Joker85 said:
If BTAS can't be treated with respect, at least this show could.

Agreed. This was a dark series with some dramatically intense episodes, and some amazing characters. This was a spectacular series! I still have the three or four VHSs that Disney released of this series! I would hope these episodes would remain unedited, as well. This is also a very surprisingly announcement by Disney. I honestly would have never expected this from them.

It's amazing how Disney is considering a season set with Gargoyles, yet WB is stuck in the stone age with lame four or five episode releases.

The Drizzle

BARRY! =(
Interesting. I wonder if Disney would consider releasing season sets of Darkwing Duck, Spider-Man, X-Men, Power Rangers, Duck Tales, and countless other properties they own the rights to. That would be a dream......

Bleu Unicorn

\ (^v^) /
Before I comment, I want to explain some things, (a) Disney did confirm a release of a Gargoyles DVD last year, though what specifically the DVD would contain, they have never said. And (b) there is no, nor has there been a confirmation of a season set release - Greg Weisman was in talks with Disney, but they've been quiet about it of late.
Jim Harvey said:
Agreed. This was a dark series with some dramatically intense episodes, and some amazing characters. This was a spectacular series! I still have the three or four VHSs that Disney released of this series! I would hope these episodes would remain unedited, as well. This is also a very surprisingly announcement by Disney. I honestly would have never expected this from them.
Well said! There's a lot about this series that I love. And I could ramble about that forever. But what I'm really impressed with is the willingness (or so I'm taking it) to release "Deadly Force". ToonDisney has sort of grown up about this episode, I think, but still all the controversy that surrounded it, makes me doubly glad they're thinking of putting it out on DVD.

Time will only tell, though.

Stewie

Just now getting into Donovan
I'm with the rest of you. I certainly hope they give this show a chance on DVD. I've got the series on tape (thanks to ToonDisney) but I would buy the DVDs in a heartbeat.
It would be very disappointing if the first DVD was the "cut" version of the first 5 eps.
"Deadly Force." Was that the one where Broadway (I think that's who it was) shoots Elisa with her own gun? What was the big stink about it?

Bleu Unicorn

\ (^v^) /
Stewie said:
"Deadly Force." Was that the one where Broadway (I think that's who it was) shoots Elisa with her own gun? What was the big stink about it?
Yup, that'd be it. Actually the episode itself really doesn't have a "stink" - in fact it is viewed by many critics as a wonderful example of the importance of gun safety. Parents, teachers, critics, you name it got the message loud and clear and applauded the show for taking on the entire premise.

ToonDisney unfortunately didn't get it and they refused to air the show. In fact, I believe it's only ever aired once so far - for the first time during last year's marathon, though out of order, and with a huge banner across half of the screen (advertising the marathon, I believe - dunno don't get TD).

Anyway, that's the "stink" in a nutshell.

Stewie

Just now getting into Donovan
Bleu Unicorn said:
ToonDisney unfortunately didn't get it and they refused to air the show.

So we don't know what ToonDisney's problem was? Was it just an unwarranted fear of controversy?

Dr Kain

Well if they release this series on dvd, they better do it right!! I want fully uncut episodes, in chronological order!! Not have ep 6, 9, 26, 15, 43!!!! And Awakening better be the 5 single episode version!! Infact, why don't they skip the whole 1 vol, 2 vol thing, and go right into box sets!!?? This way we can get season 1, season 2 pt1, season 2pt2. and Goliath Chronicles!!

Sandoz

Thin Man Fan
I'd totally pick up a season set if it was released. Gargoyles was my favorite show as a kid, and I haven't seen it in soooo long. :p

Osiris

What i don't get is that it is obvious that shows such as Gargoyles, Spiderman, X-Men, etc. have relatively strong followings. If that is the case then why don't these big execs try to make money of it instead of leeching the last amount of life from The Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations, etc. Oh well, Either way at least the DVD's are on their way. Now for the long wait...

GL2k2

Savage Dragon
Osiris said:
What i don't get is that it is obvious that shows such as Gargoyles, Spiderman, X-Men, etc. have relatively strong followings. If that is the case then why don't these big execs try to make money of it instead of leeching the last amount of life from The Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations, etc. Oh well, Either way at least the DVD's are on their way. Now for the long wait...

You're preaching to the choir about this subject. It is very unfortunate that Disney has not released their t.v. toons, but I think they will eventually. Also, I believe when they do the DVD sets they will do it justice and put them in order and such.

Pilmedium

I doubt it will be a season set, but rather a few episodes, possibly chopped up. The Disney company has not cared about their older shows recently, so it would be a big turn of events for them to do a DVD correctly.

Osiris

Even if it was only a few episodes it would still be better than nothing. Was there any word on when the official announcement will be made? I assume Disney make some type of announcement when they begin to market new products.

Ruffian

f.k.a. Twilight
Bleu Unicorn said:
at this latest talk, they proposed "releasing the whole first season with a commentary track and an extra or two."
Gargoyles is definitely on my list of DVDs that I want. I'm glad to hear that a season 1 set is in the talks. Here's hoping that it actually happens. :)

F

Faieq

At this years Gathering Greg weisman announced that the first season two-disc DVD set will be released on December 7, 2004 for a retail price of $29.99. There will be commentary by Greg Weisman, Frank Paur and Keith David for the Awakening five-part pilot. The DVD will also include the original show pitch by Greg Weisman and a documentary of the Gathering convention. ALL EPISODES WILL BE UNEDITED. :)

SpaceCowboy

Bleu Unicorn said:
Yup, that'd be it. Actually the episode itself really doesn't have a "stink" - in fact it is viewed by many critics as a wonderful example of the importance of gun safety. Parents, teachers, critics, you name it got the message loud and clear and applauded the show for taking on the entire premise.

ToonDisney unfortunately didn't get it and they refused to air the show. In fact, I believe it's only ever aired once so far - for the first time during last year's marathon, though out of order, and with a huge banner across half of the screen (advertising the marathon, I believe - dunno don't get TD).

Anyway, that's the "stink" in a nutshell.
That's funny. Back when the show was originally run on the Disney Afternoon in the '90s, this particular episode was run quite frequently. Not having watched the show since then, it's one of the few I remember clearly. I kick myself for not taping those uncut runs.:mad:

I'm quite excited about the DVD release.:D I wish Disney would get off their butts and make a final season to wrap the story up.

Hordesman

slashor
GL2k2 said:
You're preaching to the choir about this subject. It is very unfortunate that Disney has not released their t.v. toons, but I think they will eventually. Also, I believe when they do the DVD sets they will do it justice and put them in order and such.

Gargoyles is the only Disney tv toon to have annual conventions. That is why it's hitting DVD first.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts