International Nickelodeon Thread Part 13

MagiaDiWinx

Why does Nick still use voiceovers for everything in the Baltics? Those countries are moving more towards lipsync dubs, but traditionally always used voiceovers due to Soviet influence and the cost of hiring actors for such a small potential audience. I'm guessing Nick itself isn't the one ordering those in and they've delegated the translation to whoever provides the channel in the region like with Disney Channel in Bulgaria using voiceovers by Media Link who also brought the channel to the country, and DC ex-Yugoslavia using poorly-done subtitles again ordered by the distributor rather than Disney.

Francisque

Why does Nick still use voiceovers for everything in the Baltics? Those countries are moving more towards lipsync dubs, but traditionally always used voiceovers due to Soviet influence and the cost of hiring actors for such a small potential audience. I'm guessing Nick itself isn't the one ordering those in and they've delegated the translation to whoever provides the channel in the region like with Disney Channel in Bulgaria using voiceovers by Media Link who also brought the channel to the country, and DC ex-Yugoslavia using poorly-done subtitles again ordered by the distributor rather than Disney.
Costs, likely, especially by cheap Viacom

And the fact that these are minor languages, in the grand scheme of things

Moleoman

The UK site also works in Poland. And it's barebones like most of EMEA sites (as aside from main page it consists of only TV guide and some legal pages).

TVArchive

The Moscow office is responsible for the Baltic States and the CIS
1000239511.jpg
1000239509.jpg

Francisque

Well, it's not responsible for anything anymore obviously; yeah, Russia had its feed also watchable for the Baltics for some time with its own decisions, but now it's been shut down

Now, their main decisions are done in Amsterdam and London, these offices are likely there as an intermediate between EMEA and the locally covered areas, not much else (contact with dubbing studios and so on)

Now everything is even more centralized

Last edited:

MagiaDiWinx

Well, it's not responsible for anything anymore obviously

Plus, their main decisions are done in Amsterdam and London, these offices are likely there as an intermediate between EMEA and the locally covered areas, not much else (contact with dubbing studios and so on)

Now everything is even more centralized, and obviously there's nothing in Moscow anymore
I didn’t even think the Baltic Nick might be operating on the same premise as other channels. I overthink a lot. It sucks but nothing I can do.

Francisque

I don't know when Baltic countries left this feed, but already before the shutdown, Riga times and so on wouldn't be mentioned

Overall, it was a good idea: obviously Russian is losing popularity as a lingua franca (although Russian channels have been there for a long time) and now these countries can get a more "neutral" feed

It'd be ideal to have a Baltic feed, but it's an era of ever rationalization

TVArchive

I don't know when Baltic countries left this feed, but already before the shutdown, Riga times and so on wouldn't be mentioned

Overall, it was a good idea: obviously Russian is losing popularity as a lingua franca (although Russian channels have been there for a long time) and now these countries can get a more "neutral" feed

It'd be ideal to have a Baltic feed, but it's an era of ever rationalization
The Baltic states stopped accepting Nickelodeon Russia in 2017, when their languages were added to Nickelodeon Global.

previously, Riga time was added

1000239520.jpg
1000239522.jpg

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Although Walpurgisnacht Rising was completed last year, it was delayed to Winter 2025.
I've always had suspicions that the reason why Shin Chan, Rotten Ralph and The Kids from Room 402 never aired on Toon Disney and in Shin Chan's case the ABC Family Action Block.

Perhaps maybe Disney were that children would replicate the actions of these characters portrayed in these shows?
Was there a pilot dub for a Battle Spirits anime?

Featured Posts