What Marvel Cartoon do you want to see?

Which Marvel Super-hero do you most want to see in their own show?

• The Avengers

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Captain America

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Thor

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Daredevil

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Namor the Sub-Mariner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Punisher

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Obsidian

Heroes, bleah. I want to see some villains get their own show. Mystique, the Brotherhood, or Freedom Force, for starters.

Max

The Mighty One
I think it's time to leave Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, Fantastic Four and the Hulk and concentrate more on other Marvel superheroes that have had just a few or none shows in the last 20 years. I'm talking about Thor, Captain America, Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Black Panther, Nick Fury...etc etc. I can't believe that Thor and Captain America don't have any animated series of their own apart from the Marvel Action Hour of the 60's while X-Men had the X-Men TAS, X-Men: Evolution and now will have the new Wolverine and the X-Men series. Not to mention the special appearances in the Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends show and the 3 live-action movies. Also, I'm really tired of this Spider-Man cartoons that they keep doing and never gets better than the Spider-Man TAS of the early 90's. It's time to move on and explore some other Marvel franchises.

Silverstar

Happy Boithday, Doc!
Heroes, bleah. I want to see some villains get their own show. Mystique, the Brotherhood, or Freedom Force, for starters.

Unless they're so comedic/ineffectual that they pose no real threat and are regularly thwarted in each episode (e.g. Pinky & the Brain, Kaput & Zosky or Invader ZIM), villains never get their own shows, for the simple fact that good must triumph over evil. Law breaking can't be seen as enviable or glamorous, and you can't portray villains as human beings that people can identify with, or else we'd end up with a nation of sociopaths, so says the PTA. :D

Max said:
I think it's time to leave Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, Fantastic Four and the Hulk and concentrate more on other Marvel superheroes that have had just a few or none shows in the last 20 years. I'm talking about Thor, Captain America, Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Black Panther, Nick Fury...etc etc. I can't believe that Thor and Captain America don't have any animated series of their own apart from the Marvel Action Hour of the 60's while X-Men had the X-Men TAS, X-Men: Evolution and now will have the new Wolverine and the X-Men series. Not to mention the special appearances in the Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends show and the 3 live-action movies. Also, I'm really tired of this Spider-Man cartoons that they keep doing and never gets better than the Spider-Man TAS of the early 90's. It's time to move on and explore some other Marvel franchises.

I don't disagree with you, but the reason that Spider-Man, Hulk, The X-Men, Iron Man and the Fantastic Four have gotten so many shows is because they are each proven money-makers, and all of them have had big budgeted movies and/or TV shows to keep network execs interested enough to keep feeding the cash cow. Ghost Rider, Punisher and Daredevil basically bombed at the box office, so there's no incentive on anyone's part to give any of them a TV show. Captain America is seen by many to be very corny, outdated and unrelatable (plus as a living symbol of the Red, White and Blue, he might not translate very well overseas), Nick Fury isn't seen as being very interesting, at least not compared to super-powered heroes; he honestly works best in supporting roles and Thor is a literal god on Earth, and consequently difficult to write for. Corporate suits are naturally going to flock to the proven successes as a safety net rather than take a gamble with a franchise that could potentially blow up in their faces. It's a tad xenophobic, yes, but that's the nature of the business.

These days capes don't get shows unless they have hit movies to back them up. If the upcoming Cap, Thor and Avengers movies do well in theaters, then you can bet a dollar to a donut hole that there will be animated series based off of them, but not before.

-Black Panther, however is getting a show...on BET. Whether or not that's a good thing is up for debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

DawnWarrior

Also, I'm really tired of this Spider-Man cartoons that they keep doing and never gets better than the Spider-Man TAS of the early 90's. It's time to move on and explore some other Marvel franchises.
I sincerely think that the new Spectacular Spider-Man series is already miles better than the 90's FOX cartoon, and even if it were to last one season, it is shaping up to be the best Spider-Man cartoon yet.

Silverstar

Happy Boithday, Doc!
JeffBreakdown said:
Daredevil all the way. But on HBO and in the style of Spawn. That or no Daredevil at all.

Then expect no Daredevil at all. I'm pretty sure Marvel isn't interested in producing a TV-MA rated cartoon, especially given Daredevil's mediocre performance at the box office.

Max

The Mighty One
I sincerely think that the new Spectacular Spider-Man series is already miles better than the 90's FOX cartoon, and even if it were to last one season, it is shaping up to be the best Spider-Man cartoon yet.

It's too kid like for me.

Max

The Mighty One
Have you seen the origin of Sandman & Dr. Octopus? Or realize that now Harry is a drug addict? That's out of being waay too kiddy.

Uuh Harry a green soup addict....should I be impressed by that? Is that making the show more adult? Should I be impressed by a show that copies scenes and concepts from the Spider-Man live-action movies? Should I be impressed by the kiddy animation of the show? Should I be impressed by the fact that Dr. Octopus for example is depicted as weak fat nerd afraid of making dangerous experiments which is quite the opposite of what he should be? And I could go on and on...

JeffBreakdown

Then expect no Daredevil at all. I'm pretty sure Marvel isn't interested in producing a TV-MA rated cartoon, especially given Daredevil's mediocre performance at the box office.

oh im not expecting it at all...i know it will never happen. we have to wait probably another 10 years after that awful movie for any solo daredevil whether live action or animated. although it only took hulk 5 years...we'll see, not waiting for it tho.

W.C.Reaf

Uuh Harry a green soup addict....should I be impressed by that? Is that making the show more adult? Should I be impressed by a show that copies scenes and concepts from the Spider-Man live-action movies? Should I be impressed by the kiddy animation of the show? Should I be impressed by the fact that Dr. Octopus for example is depicted as weak fat nerd afraid of making dangerous experiments which is quite the opposite of what he should be? And I could go on and on...

Yeah 'cause the 90s series was much better and more adult with having Vampires that couldn't suck blood, no one saying kill or die, no guns only the exact same type of laser pistol, MJ and the Goblin falling into portals instead of dying. Etc.

I've only seen a few homage’s to the movies but hardly any copied scenes.
And you should be impressed by the excellent animation that is allowed from those "kiddie" (streamlined) designs which the 90s series couldn't pull off and had to use tons of stock footage.

Anyway this is getting off topic and the SSM Vs SM:TAS stuff should be in its own topic.

So an Avengers cartoon might work with the right roster, writers, animators, etc.

U

Ultimate Chimera

Personally, I'd love to see an Avengers show that is handled well. Either that or a Captain America show.

ESE150

Which cartoon I want Marvel to produce? Well, for me it's a tie between The Avengers (NOT the Ultimates, thank you very much) and Daredevil. But since the final scene in the awesome Iron Man movie got my hyped up and wanting for some Avengers action, that was what I chose :D

I don't get it. They just showed up a few episodes (weak ones, if you ask me) following the villain-of-the-week method, and these episodes weren't even very original, shocking, emotional or unpredictable. What part of SSM would make you say that it is superior to the 90's cartoon?

It's too kid like for me.
Seconded.

Yeah 'cause the 90s series was much better and more adult with having Vampires that couldn't suck blood, no one saying kill or die, no guns only the exact same type of laser pistol, MJ and the Goblin falling into portals instead of dying. Etc.
That's called censorship-imposed-by-the-network.
And the 90's cartoon was more mature than SSM because it had a more complex overall story (since it had tight continuity), the stories were more interesting than the SSM episodes shown until now (since the episodes themselves tried to tell stories more complex than simply showing random events and fights until Spidey defeats the bad guy, which is the format most SSM episodes use), every episode added something to the storyline and the links between episodes seemed natural and, in some cases, were clever (rather than the lame way SSM tries to connect its episodes by tying nearly every villain's origin together, which makes them sound forced).
Moreover, the art style in SSM makes it look more kiddy than the more realistic style used in SpideyTAS. I have trouble believing that someone who wants to write a mature show would use that art style, which was clearly intended to appeal young kids.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
I don't get it. They just showed up a few episodes (weak ones, if you ask me) following the villain-of-the-week method, and these episodes weren't even very original, shocking, emotional or unpredictable. What part of SSM would make you say that it is superior to the 90's cartoon?

I love how you call this show "predictable" and say it only follows a villain-of-the-week method.

And just to prove a point, I'm going to explain how wrong this part of your post is:

And the 90's cartoon was more mature than SSM because it had a more complex overall story (since it had tight continuity),

SSM has just as tight a continuity, if not more organized of one, as the 90's series.

the stories were more interesting than the SSM episodes shown until now (since the episodes themselves tried to tell stories more complex than simply showing random events and fights until Spidey defeats the bad guy, which is the format most SSM episodes use),

Clearly, you aren't even PAYING ATTENTION to those "random events", since those are events that advance the overall plot of the series and aren't just there to affect a single episode.

every episode added something to the storyline and the links between episodes seemed natural and, in some cases, were clever (rather than the lame way SSM tries to connect its episodes by tying nearly every villain's origin together, which makes them sound forced).

Again, every episode of SSM adds something to the storyline and the links between SSM's episodes seem natural (plus, there has been a few clever moments).

And, as far as I can tell, the only villain origin that felt "forced" was Electro's.

Moreover, the art style in SSM makes it look more kiddy than the more realistic style used in SpideyTAS. I have trouble believing that someone who wants to write a mature show would use that art style, which was clearly intended to appeal young kids.

I love how you forgot during this part that the 90's show was clearly intended to appeal to younger kids as well.

The art style is because they simply CANNOT AFFORD the kind of realistic style that you want. If you really want it for this series, go donate a few million dollars to Marvel.

And really, a cartoony animation style doesn't eliminate the possibility of mature themes. Teen Titans had a cartoony animation style, and it had incredibly dark episodes amongst the kiddy ones.

Overall, I feel like you didn't even watch past the first two episodes.

Silverstar

Happy Boithday, Doc!
DareDevil
Punisher
Shang Chi
Captain America
She-Hulk

Should get there own animated shows/DTV's each.

Daredevil and Punisher-their respective movies tanked, so nobody's interested in giving them shows. (Plus, you'd never get Punisher past the PTA, unless you'd be willing to accept a Punisher who fires laser pistols and doesn't kill.)

Captain America-too soon. Wait until Cap's live-action movie comes out.

She-Hulk-not big enough; she's just a female extension of her more famous male counterpart. Maybe if She-Hulk appears in a Hulk movie sequel...then maybe.

Shang Chi-I don't know who that is. :sweat:

thundarr82

Silverstar, Shang-Chi is known as The Master Of Kung Fu. The comic featured the adventures of another 1970's martial arts hero who constantly foiled the evil plans of his Father...Fu Manchu. Yuen Woo Ping was attatched to a potential Shang Chi film, but it was not made.

Silverstar

Happy Boithday, Doc!
Silverstar, Shang-Chi is known as The Master Of Kung Fu. The comic featured the adventures of another 1970's martial arts hero who constantly foiled the evil plans of his Father...Fu Manchu. Yuen Woo Ping was attatched to a potential Shang Chi film, but it was not made.

Ah.

Now I learned something today. Thanks, Thundarr82. :)

Though I would hesitantly add that Shang-Chi may be considered too obscure to get a show or a DTV, unless he pops up in some upcoming feature or on someone else's DTV in a major role.

Hypestyle

...if this was the 70's, Shang could probably get a show.. heck, they did Hong Kong Phooey of all things.. :) Marvel could have licensed the MOKF comics to an anime' company.. the results might have been amazing..

I still say a "Marvel Universe" anthology show would be a great way of doing backdoor pilots for a lot of marvel concepts... even a 13-episode season could go a long way... with hopefully more in store..

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I am so tired of all the negativity. Can we have some good news about the entertainment industry for a change?
Randomly spotting Runaways streaming on The CW app. I guess Disney removed it from services where they get ad money to license it to another service for ad money.
Why do all the animation greats do these stupid things?
I have actually underestimated how much stuff Wildbrain owns! I can't believe they own Gadget and the Gadgetinis. I wonder when they got back the rights outside of the US
I just learned today that the character, SpongeBob, was born on July 14th.

So yeah, happy birthday Spongeboy!

Featured Posts