"Wolverine and The X-Men" International Airings Talkback, Part 2 (Spoilers)

^^^ That's not a good thing seeing how to me the Wolverine based episodes have been the weakest in this series.

Man I really don't understand why people insist that Rogue is only useful when she has Ms. Marvel's power? I mean episodes like this shows that she does not need any perminate powers.

I totally agree. I would hope that she eventually does get them, but if she doesn't than that's alright.

She's fine without them.

Windrider

One word for this episode..... BORING! The only part I liked was the X-Men "Fight" at the beginning. And Rogue totally kicking but with those swords. The rest was almost unbearable. Mariko looked like a stick, the whole story was way too Kung Fuey, the created "training" with his old master was way corny. And finally Prof. X calling Wolverine son, I cringed when he said that.

This episode really did nothing for me or the story, it was just a really bad Wolv-centric episode.

Code Of Conduct 5/10

Did anyone else that Nightcrawler wasn't with the X-Men. I thought he joined the team last episode?

ShadowStar

Which episode is it that Wolverine says the "Because you're stupid!" line in? "Time Bomb" or "Battle Lines"?

bigdeath

A Legend is Born
I don't know what people are complaining about because I really liked "code of conduct". It was full of action.

One word for this episode..... BORING! The only part I liked was the X-Men "Fight" at the beginning. And Rogue totally kicking but with those swords. The rest was almost unbearable. Mariko looked like a stick, the whole story was way too Kung Fuey, the created "training" with his old master was way corny. And finally Prof. X calling Wolverine son, I cringed when he said that.

This episode really did nothing for me or the story, it was just a really bad Wolv-centric episode.

Code Of Conduct 5/10

Did anyone else that Nightcrawler wasn't with the X-Men. I thought he joined the team last episode?

I have to agree. This episode was one of the worst so far season.

I didn't think this episode was that bad. I enjoyed it more than the first episode with Maverick's daughter ("Past Discretions", I think). It had good fight scenes and a nice use of Rogue. I wish the other X-Men were used more.

This episode reminded me of Uncanny X-Men 173, where the rest of the team was knocked out and Wolverine and Rogue had to face Viper and the Silver Samurai. Thankfully, the WatX version doesn't have Storm show up with a mohawk at the end.

I thought Mariko looked better here than she ever did in the comics.

sb

Windrider

Apparantly "Backlash" did not air this morning due to a Valentine special YTV has been having the whole day. But don't worry, your favorite mutants will be back with an all new episode next Saturday.

desi

So, how come every mutant was kidnapped but Rouge was instead tied to a chair? That's a great idea! Leave one of the most powerful mutant behind so she can kick your ass later.

Nygma

A few comments on some of Arsenal’s reviews of Wolverine and the x-men

Wolverine and the X-Men can be frustrating. Its animation is gorgeous, as attractive and fluid as any previous animated iteration of the franchise. The voice work and writing is solid. It nods to comic book and movie continuities without being enslaved by either. It should be one long geek-gasm for an X-Fan like me.

To paraphrase Lisa Simpson, there’s nothing majorly wrong with the show, but after two different x-men cartoons in the past decades and the enhancements in animation today, some of these ideas just can’t have the same impact they once did.

Unfortunately, Wolverine is not an incredible show. It merely has the trappings of one. For now, it settles for good, and occasionally reaches great. I cannot say for certain what the show lacks, but I suspect some of the blame falls on the titular character. The series’ best episodes, “X-Calibre” and “X-Cessive Force,” have more in common than X-traneous use of a certain consonant. They are episodes that focus on a team member besides Wolverine

Nothing personal Arsenal but some of these complaints just feel like somebody hitting the panic button instead of stopping to look at the sum of all the parts. Yes X-Calibre and X-Cessive Force were the best episodes but to simply lay blame on Wolverine for the rest of the show not hitting the same level is a bit nieve if you don’t mind me saying.
For one, those two episodes had the coincidental fortunes of being directed by Nick Filippi and merely being the case of the script and the episodes direction both falling in to sync with one another.
Also labeling the non-Wolverine episodes as not as good, because of Wolverine is a bit ridiculous, with all due respect.There was a review of Spec. Spidey that mentioned how Spidey gets the subtle stuff we take for granted right when Wolverine and the X-Men doesn’t get those bit details right that we as viewers take for granted. That probably is where the shows biggest faults lie IMO.

Wolverine is not a bad character, not is his voice actor, Steven Blum, to blame. This is merely a case of Fonzie syndrome. Wolverine, like Fonzarelli, is a scene-stealing sideman but a horrific failure when he is shunted into the role of leading man.

Robin was a scene stealing Fonzie type leader in Teen Titans and I don’t remember people complaining about that. Of course Robin was the leader in the comics. Whilst Wolverine was only a leader for a short period of time in the comics, but in all honesty with the right character tweaks, I don’t see how they couldn’t achieve similar results.

Of the episodes viewed thus far, at least a third focused on Wolverine and that doesn’t work. He’s too brooding. He needs a peppy sidekick to provide this humor. (That is why he is always paired with a young, female counterpart in the comic books. He doesn’t have a Jubilee, Armor or Kitty Pryde-style sidekick here.)
Those peppy female sidekicks were only in certain areas of the comics, not in all of them. Wolverine has also been capable of quipping it up with the best of them in certain mediums. A peppy sidekick for Wolverine is not a requisite for his character.

Consequently, “Past Directions,” which is a well-written, well-animated and well-acted piece of entertainment, slides into drudgery as often as it excites. There is a solid plot twist at the end. I like the idea of making Maverick’s daughter a mutant powerhouse, and Sabretooth is more interesting here than he has been in a decade. But somebody needs to lighten the mood here.
Personally I always found Sabretooth to be a little lame (especially previous designs), but I like this version of him.

There is very little preventing this show from becoming great. I mean second season of Justice League good, I mean Book 2 of Avatar good, I mean as good as the best of X-Men: Evolution good; but Wolverine’s ascension to leading man and the resulting demotion of the supporting cast is not helping this show. On the contrary, it is the show’s lone liability.

Wolverine, the show’s the lone liability? (see what I said above about the panic button)
Keep in mind 2 of the 3 shows listed above were not brilliant right away. For Justice League and Evolution, it took 1 to 2 seasons for those shows to learn from their mistakes (even when the shows’ creators/producers had many of years experience in animation under their belt), they had the benefit of hindsight in terms of seeing what worked and what didn’t. Right now I’d say WatX is Evolution Season 2 level good, but that's just me.

Anyways I’m not sure if this is the right place to put this or if I’m doing any good with my comments, but I thought I’d just post my 2 cents worth. Nothing against you Arsenal, just how I feel.

suss2it

So, how come every mutant was kidnapped but Rouge was instead tied to a chair? That's a great idea! Leave one of the most powerful mutant behind so she can kick your ass later.

They needed someone to deliver the message, but if he tied up any of the other ones, they could have escaped.

And whatever happened to that little girl mutant who could create things from her dreams?

Windrider

They needed someone to deliver the message, but if he tied up any of the other ones, they could have escaped.

And whatever happened to that little girl mutant who could create things from her dreams?

Tildie Soames (the girl with the nightmare monster) is set to appear in the next episode of Wolverine and the X-Men, Backlash. I think she makes one more appearance after that.

I think she lives at the mansion.

Arsenal

Magneto was right
Originally posted by Nygma
Anyways I’m not sure if this is the right place to put this or if I’m doing any good with my comments, but I thought I’d just post my 2 cents worth. Nothing against you Arsenal, just how I feel.

No offense taken. In fact, I'm just glad that somebody's reading the reviews.

While I respect your dissent, I stand by my earlier statements that Wolverine-centric episodes tend to be a liability for this show. "Code of Conduct" serves as further evidence.

"Conduct" has more than one problem. It retreads area we already visited recently, namely Logan's lost loves, in "Stolen Lives." Furthermore, "Lives" was an overall better episode because it had a stronger plot and Mystique to steal scenes.

Furthermore, "Conduct" suffers from a serious case of plot padding. About five minutes of this episode could have been excised without consequence. That's usually a sign of a weak plot.

But we still have the problem of an uncompelling lead. Wolverine fails to engage the audience. Granted, he gets no help from uninteresting villain, Silver Samurai, and cypher romantic interest, Mariko.

Rogue generates the only fireworks in this episode and she gets excised halfway though to make time for more Wolverine.

Perhaps, I am hitting the panic button unnecessarily; and I want to stress that I think Wolverine and The X-Men is a good show. But to see the difference between and a good and a great show, you need only watch Spectacular Spider-Man.

You make an excellent point about the difference between Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine and The X-Men. Spidey deals better in subtlety.

You also are right about Evo, Justice League and plenty of other great shows needing time to find their footing. Wolverine and The X-Men has earned enough goodwill for me to continue watching.

bigdeath

A Legend is Born
I'd say the new spiderman and x-men shows are on par with each other. I like them about equally. Some people don't like the Wolverine focused episodes but honestly I love them all except the one about the hulk. I wanted to see Hulk vs Wolverine and what we got was lame in comparison.

In fact, I must confess that I like the X-men even more, always been more of an x-men fan so thats just personal bias talking. I just love this shows Magneto, Nightcrawler, and Scarlet Witch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Brandy and Mr. Whiskers turns 20 today. Disney Channel has the put the first episode on Youtube, no it's not on Disney Plus.
Will Maria Robotnik ever star in a Sonic cartoon as a regular or a recurring character?
As I don't have my community tab from YouTube anymore to write on (for now), I willl tell you here some of the things I will do to keep you somehow up-to-date. Tonight, the film I will be watching is one that once again reminds me that Disney is still 100 and I can still celebrate.
I'm glad Teens Titans Go doesn't get much hate anymore, but the damage had been done when Christina Miller left CN in 2019. People should have given her a chance and she pushed a lot when it comes to the CN app.

awinger24 wrote on Goldstar!'s profile.
You were right and I was wrong. Whatever I was fearing about in the past was uncalled for. I do wish things get better in Hollywood soon.

Featured Posts