"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"X-Men ’97 – 10 Characters We Need To See More Of in Season 2"​

X-Men-97-Cameos-scaled.jpg

"X-Men ’97 was an ambitious revival that could have gone in many directions. It ended up remaining true to the original series while going in a new direction. The show stuck to its guns and crafted a tight story with a couple subplots that all built up to an incredible three part finale. In addition to respecting the X-Men of the original 90’s series and taking the mythos up to the next level, a ton of Easter Eggs were sprinkled throughout the season.

X-Men ’97 did adapt a couple plots and ideas from stories that happened in the comics after the original show, but it also became a snapshot of the X-Men world and larger Marvel Universe of a quarter of a century ago. Good mutants, evil mutants, and everything in between seemed to show their face, even for the briefest of moments. Some of those quick cameos have really whet the appetites of the audience and left us begging for more in future episodes."

Read the full editorial here.
I think we're going to see a lot of characters coming together for a makeshift present-day X-Men team :).

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"“X-Men ’97” Gets Emmy Nomination For “Outstanding Animated Program”"​

x-men-97-episode-5-nightcrawler-rogue-gambit-jpg.jpg

"X-Men ’97 continues its impressive track record with an Emmy Nomination. The show received a nomination in the “Outstanding Animated Program” category. The announcement came as part of the official list of nominations for the 76th Primetime Emmys, which was revealed yesterday. This is especially impressive considering the original X-Men TAS series that preceded it, was never nominated for such an award over the years.

The episode picked for this award is none other than “Remember It”, the midway point of the first season which also proved to be a game changer in regards to how brutal things becamem and how much of these events impacted the remainder of the show. It is a fine choice, and it is understandable why this particular entry was nominated, but at the same time, the series premiere or the season finale would have also been great options. “Remember It” was written by Beau DeMayo and directed by Emi Yonemura."

Read the full article here.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Via ComicBook.com's recap of the D23 presentation.

Davis and Winderbaum talk X-Men '97 Season 2. Winderbaum finds it surreal to be working on the X-Men, it really hit him the first time George Bauza got into the booth as Beast. There are characters Winderbaum still wants to use in Season 2. Lenore Zann and Cal Dodd take the stage. They both have too many good memories with both the original series and the revival, Zann cites the ending of Episode 5 and "The Cure" from the original series as particularly special moments. Dodd auditioned for the role with the "egg sucking piece of gutter trash" line. He loved Wolverine's moments of vulnerability. Zann takes partial credit for the revival after suggesting during a reunion panel in Texas that the show should return. Rogue is on a hero's journey in Season 2. Dodd is excited for more scenes with Wolverine and Bishop in Season 2.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
From the Animation Magazine write-up of the D23 panel.
X-Men ’97 (Disney+)
Fans got a little tidbit about the second season of this critically acclaimed throwback series. The panel revealed that Season 2 will feature new outfits based on Grant Morrison’s suit designs. Footage also showed Magneto on trial in the upcoming story arc.

I thought the Magneto bit might have been from the first season.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Minor but I thought this was cool - AJ LoCascio, Lennore Zann and Adrian Hough recreated a moment from "Remember It". (It's not like they were going to re-enact anything else that happened in that episode...)

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
So I don't want this to get out of hand potentially derail the topic or lead to arguing between users, but there were new reports about Beau DeMayo's firing. He has his own claims while Marvel claims something else was the reason though didn't offer many details. I kind of doubt the general public will really find out what happened behind the scenes but it seems getting DeMayo back on the show's crew seems even less likely to happen now. Things are a bit messy. Still I imagine the show will continue regardless. It remains to be seen if the quality suffers any, but I think the remaining (and newly arrived) staff would be able to keep the show going.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Yeah, I was reading the article last night. It's a shame that the situation soured behind the scenes like this. I previously wondered if they could have some sort of resolution but it doesn't look so now. I didn't even know you can lose credits like this.

I wish nothing but the best to the team currently working on the show, and I hope they can move on successfully, unscathed by the drama.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I imagine X-Factor might be similar to what we saw in TAS. Maybe with Bishop and Shard? I can't remember what the status of some members was from the finale.

X-Force might be Cable banding the kids together and going paramilitary. Jubes and Sunspot were right there. Cannonball might be active. I think Boom Boom survived Genosha. Maybe Siryn and Warpath? Domino?

Frontier

Staff member
I think Forge and Bishop's makeshift X-Men team will be X-Factor while Cable's team will be some variant of X-Force.

I just hope they're able to juggle all these characters in one season o_O.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Bishop returned in the present for the finale to tell Forge the other X-Men were trapped in time, so he should be available. Apparently Polaris was shown in the sizzle reel at D23 so that's likely another returning member for X-Factor.

If there's too many characters, they could always launch a spin-off show.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Brandy and Mr. Whiskers turns 20 today. Disney Channel has the put the first episode on Youtube, no it's not on Disney Plus.
Will Maria Robotnik ever star in a Sonic cartoon as a regular or a recurring character?
As I don't have my community tab from YouTube anymore to write on (for now), I willl tell you here some of the things I will do to keep you somehow up-to-date. Tonight, the film I will be watching is one that once again reminds me that Disney is still 100 and I can still celebrate.
I'm glad Teens Titans Go doesn't get much hate anymore, but the damage had been done when Christina Miller left CN in 2019. People should have given her a chance and she pushed a lot when it comes to the CN app.

awinger24 wrote on Goldstar!'s profile.
You were right and I was wrong. Whatever I was fearing about in the past was uncalled for. I do wish things get better in Hollywood soon.

Featured Posts