"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Welcome to the second installment of the X-Men '97 News and Discussion Thread, here on the Marvel Animation Forum! Keep up to date with any news about Marvel's new animated series, and use this thread to discuss them in a civilized manner!

x97talk.png

X-Men '97
Debut
- March 20, 2024 on Disney+ with 2 episodes; then one episode per week until May 15.

Synopsis: “X-Men’97” revisits the iconic era of the 1990s as The X-Men, a band of mutants who use their uncanny gifts to protect a world that hates and fears them, are challenged like never before, forced to face a dangerous and unexpected new future. The voice cast includes Ray Chase as Cyclops, Jennifer Hale as Jean Grey, Alison Sealy-Smith as Storm, Cal Dodd as Wolverine, JP Karliak as Morph, Lenore Zann as Rogue, George Buza as Beast, AJ LoCascio as Gambit, Holly Chou as Jubilee, Isaac Robinson-Smith as Bishop, Matthew Waterson as Magneto and Adrian Hough as Nightcrawler. Beau DeMayo serves as head writer; episodes are directed by Jake Castorena, Chase Conley and Emi Yonemura. Featuring music by The Newton Brothers, the series is executive produced by Brad Winderbaum, Kevin Feige, Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso and DeMayo.

Comments?

Stay tuned for further updates!

Previous discussion thread
:
"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Recent news from the previous topic-
Season One episode titles.

Marvel fires X-Men ’97 creator Beau DeMayo weeks before premiere.

"A New Age" featurette released.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I just saw a Twitter video from the fan event/screening today. It seems as though they actually made a Marvel Animation opener kind of like what I hoped for. That wish happened fast...

I recognize
67 Spidey, 92 Wolverine, Thing and HERBIE, Silver Surfer and some Zombie Cap
. Looking forward to seeing a clear version when I see the show next week.

Marvel put these on Reddit as well.

Last edited:

ShadowStar

I cannot wait to watch this show :).

The action animation looks amazing in the behind the scenes trailer :cool:.
Agreed completely! Wow, it looks stunning. I'm going to say with cautious optimism that it looks as though it might very well be the X-Men show that I've been hoping for. And I say this as someone who adored X-Men: TAS as a kid and as someone who loved X-Men: Evolution a lot -- it's one of my top two fav Marvel shows (the other one being The Spectacular Spider-Man).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Looks pretty awesome. Especially liked Beast controlling the Sentinel.

Minor but Variety updated their article. Kind of figured they wouldn't go into details about the firing.

Brad Winderbaum, an executive producer on “X-Men ’97” and Marvel Studios’ head of streaming, television and animation, has released a statement after showrunner Beau DeMayo‘s shocking firing on Tuesday.

“He did excellent work writing Seasons 1 and 2, and I can’t wait for fans to see the series,” Winderbaum said. “The entire team came together to create a revival worthy of the X-Men’s 60-year legacy. From Stan and Jack, to Claremont, to the Lewalds, we all truly were standing on the shoulders of giants.”

Frontier

Staff member
First clip released;
That smooth and dynamic action.

That on-point Beast dialogue.

Bishop tanking a Sentinel blast.

Wolverine cutting @#$% up.

The theme song.

Can it be next Wednesday already?
That score gives me the feels...

Looks like some kind of UN security team :confused:?

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Variety article about the show featuring comments from the cast and crew, concept art, etc. Possible spoilers.
Nice recreation of one of my favorite pics, Art Adams cover of Classic X-Men 1. I went through a lot of trouble buying that in 7th grade. I wish I still had it.

I know they're taking iconic images and just re-doing them but there's a certain mood it sets for me. My 90s Fandom never went away and it just draws me in to this.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
WonderCon panels announced.

X-Men Fandom Panel
Saturday March 30, 2024
7:00pm - 8:00pm PDT
Room 207

Calling all mutants! The 5th Annual X-Men Fandom Panel returns to WonderCon for an all-new and X-citing adventure to celebrate the newly launched animated series, X-Men ’97. X-Reads Podcast hosts Chandler Poling and Chris Riley welcome cast and creatives from the series to talk all about X-Men ’97.

X-amining the X-Men
Sunday March 31, 2024
3:00pm - 4:00pm PDT
Room 300E

With their nuanced characterizations, riveting plots, and struggles against injustices, the X-Men are some of the most celebrated, enduring, and revolutionary superheroes in comics and beyond. Get to really know the X-Men through compelling discussions with "X-perts" including comics historians, writers, and the consulting producers of the newly released animated series from Marvel Studios, X-Men '97. Panelists include Dr. Drea Letamendi (psychologist, The Arkham Sessions), Eric Lewald (showrunner, X-Men: The Animated Series), Julia Lewald (writer, X-Men: The Animated Series), JB Ballard (writer, X-Men '97) and David Nett (co-owner, Hero's Journey Fitness). Moderated by Brian Ward (The Arkham Sessions).

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Give me more Nightcrawler :D!

I'm almost kind of disappointed Magneto isn't keeping his classic suit :p.

Is that Bolivar Trask :confused:?

I love seeing Kurt in swashbuckler mode. It reminds me of seeing his first solo episode in Wolverine and the X-Men where he was fighting against the Mojoverse pirates. I do wonder what brings him back to the team. It was the discovery of his parentage that got him to leave the monastery last time.

I'm kind of digging this version of Magneto's 80s look. I didn't always love it in the comics but it's working on me here. It's definitely being done because of the story being adapted, much like Storm with her Mohawk. I'll definitely take it over Magneto's other 80s look. I was never sold on that one.

Definitely seems like Trask, though it's surprising that he's back after being on the run from all this before. It reminds me of how surprising it is that his partner Gyrich attacked Xavier during Graduation Day.

Thinking about Jubes finally having a classmate/peer in Roberto, and I'd really like to see more of the New Mutants or Gen X kids appear down the line. I always wanted to see the New Mutants animated more, and most of them only ever appeared in Evolution.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, that is most likely Trask. I think he also appeared for a split second in the previous Sentinels clip. I forget when was the last time he showed up in the original show, possibly when Master Mold kidnapped him alongside Gyrich and Xavier in Morph's return episode. Looks like they're continuing from that.

ShadowStar

Minor but Variety updated their article. Kind of figured they wouldn't go into details about the firing.
This is what I believe may have happened (and there's absolutely no way I'm keeping my view on this to myself considering the awful discourse elsewhere online concerning this issue -- I think that the insinuations and accusations which have been made against Beau DeMayo by paranoid fans have been truly disgusting):

Season 1 may have been in post-production as recently as in the last few months, at which point it would not have been too late for Disney to cut content from it that they didn't want general audiences to see (such as, perhaps, pro-LGBT content that Disney might have got cold feet over). If the executives cut stuff from season 1 in post-production (or removed content from the season 2 animatics), then I could certainly see Beau DeMayo (who seems like a very impassioned individual) fighting them on that. This could have led to him being fired, and if they paid him off with a legal settlement, then he cannot say anything about it.

I'm aware that this post is veering off-topic, so I won't continue posting about this topic if the mods feel that nothing more should be said about the matter.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts