"Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (Disney+ Animated Series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
Some comments from Brad Winderbaum. He addresses the show towards the end.

"And Jeff Trammell's Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, which I'm going into a sound mix for in a couple of hours. It's so great. He and his team over there, they know how to make you invest in characters. It's a very high school, ensemble-driven show with Peter Parker at the center. It's just so much fun."
Well, that's kind of a given, though I guess it remains to be seen how this differentiates itself from Spectacular or even Ultimate/2017 in that respect...

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Well, that's kind of a given, though I guess it remains to be seen how this differentiates itself from Spectacular or even Ultimate/2017 in that respect...
In my head, I kind of picture 2017 with the production value of Spectacular. The style is mostly what excites me right now but I'm rooting for them to pull off something great.

Frontier

Staff member
In my head, I kind of picture 2017 with the production value of Spectacular. The style is mostly what excites me right now but I'm rooting for them to pull off something great.
It definitely seems like we're getting another show with Peter in a cast of superpowered teens instead of civilians like the last two shows...and also randomly de-aging villains (Tombstone? Seriously)?

Also depending on the pacing they might also cycle through villains quick like the 2017 show did at times.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Minor but more comments from Winderbaum.

"I mean, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is amazing, to say the least," Winderbaum says. "I think it's really going to surprise people. It is very much like a cut from that Steve Ditko era of the comics. It's Peter Parker back in high school just trying to make it work, take care of his aunt, completely broke, and having to be a superhero. It's so essentially Spider-Man, and what Jeff Trammell, the creator of that show, did, which I think people are going to love, is he built this ensemble of characters around Peter that you fall in love with. Similarly, just because it's long-form storytelling, as those relationships brew when the stakes rise in that first season, things feel really tragic and dangerous, and pretty incredible. So, I love that show."

Frontier

Staff member
Minor but more comments from Winderbaum.

"I mean, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is amazing, to say the least," Winderbaum says. "I think it's really going to surprise people. It is very much like a cut from that Steve Ditko era of the comics. It's Peter Parker back in high school just trying to make it work, take care of his aunt, completely broke, and having to be a superhero. It's so essentially Spider-Man, and what Jeff Trammell, the creator of that show, did, which I think people are going to love, is he built this ensemble of characters around Peter that you fall in love with. Similarly, just because it's long-form storytelling, as those relationships brew when the stakes rise in that first season, things feel really tragic and dangerous, and pretty incredible. So, I love that show."
On-paper it's saying all the right things...a serialized Spider-Man show driven by developing relationships with his supporting cast.

I just find it funny that this "ensemble" barely features characters Peter usually hangs out with. It's like they gave him the pre-requisite he had to drag other people into high school with Peter or told him it had to have other teen Superheroes again and he just went for it :p.

Also I hope if he's "broke" that means he has to work at the Bugle to make money :).

GRPHX

Cliche plot usual as every time (at least 100 times). Do something truly original. It's incredible that they're still devoting resources and time to this ridiculous series instead of resurrecting 94. If I see another High School Parker story, I'm going to throw up. An empty show no different from the previous ones.

Pattern_Maker

On-paper it's saying all the right things...a serialized Spider-Man show driven by developing relationships with his supporting cast.
This is what we need to be cautious of. I think Ultimate and 2k17 Spidey had similar premises, and even then I recall a lot of shows being different from their initial premise when they aired.

I'm not tired of high school Peter. Every time I watch Spectular it makes me realize that the reason high school worked in that show is because they tried to give every character their moment in the series, even if it was brief. At that, Spectacular Midtown felt like a character rather than just a location.

Though, the writers really should have used Janice Lincoln in FNSM instead of Tombstone. That's a story itself if she was a classmate of Peter's.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
This is what we need to be cautious of. I think Ultimate and 2k17 Spidey had similar premises, and even then I recall a lot of shows being different from their initial premise when they aired.

I'm not tired of high school Peter. Every time I watch Spectular it makes me realize that the reason high school worked in that show is because they tried to give every character their moment in the series, even if it was brief. At that, Spectacular Midtown felt like a character rather than just a location.

Though, the writers really should have used Janice Lincoln in FNSM instead of Tombstone. That's a story itself if she was a classmate of Peter's.
Yeah, I keep scratching my head trying to come up with a reason why they'd have Tombstone as a teenager in high school with Peter :confused:.

GRPHX

'm not tired of high school Peter. Every time I watch Spectular it makes me realize that the reason high school worked in that show is because they tried to give every character their moment in the series, even if it was brief. At that, Spectacular Midtown felt like a character rather than just a location.
Dude, Spectacular is just overrated. Chhesy and corny that's all. It was never at the 94 level. Compare it to Ben10 or Generator Rex.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Dude, Spectacular is just overrated. Chhesy and corny that's all. It was never at the 94 level. Compare it to Ben10 or Generator Rex.

I don't know, Spider-Man 94 has aged poorly in terms of reused footage and the amount of censorship it was subjected to, like Spidey not being allowed to punch people.

The thing is Spider-Man 94 has the more room for improvement than Spectacular Spider-Man, which makes it more appealing than another Spider-Man series set in high school. You had 3 Spider-Man cartoons in a row set in high school and two of those shows are among the worst Spider-Man animated projects. I think a young adult Spider is more appealing than a teen one, IMO.

Spider-Man 94 has its flaws, but it never angered me like Ultimate Spider-Man did.

I have to admit, of the 4 major super hero animated projects announced recently, this is the one I am least looking forward to.

GRPHX

I don't know, Spider-Man 94 has aged poorly in terms of reused footage and the amount of censorship it was subjected to, like Spidey not being allowed to punch people.

The thing is Spider-Man 94 has the more room for improvement than Spectacular Spider-Man, which makes it more appealing than another Spider-Man series set in high school. You had 3 Spider-Man cartoons in a row set in high school and two of those shows are among the worst Spider-Man animated projects. I think a young adult Spider is more appealing than a teen one, IMO.

Spider-Man 94 has its flaws, but it never angered me like Ultimate Spider-Man did.

I have to admit, of the 4 major super hero animated projects announced recently, this is the one I am least looking forward to.
94 is a real Unicorn. I was never bothered by its flaws, or even noticed them until someone pointed it out. Because it has tons of scary characters (Man-Spider, Blade, Punisher etc.), romantic relationship and a dramatic plot to make up for those flaws. At the same time, since it is about Peter's adult life, the plot is much broader. So is the world building. Venom was one of the most terrifying series and always used tension elements well. The only flaw is that it hasn't been re-mastered in HD, IMO.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
94 is a real Unicorn. I was never bothered by its flaws, or even noticed them until someone pointed it out. Because it has tons of scary characters (Man-Spider, Blade, Punisher etc.), romantic relationship and a dramatic plot to make up for those flaws. At the same time, since it is about Peter's adult life, the plot is much broader. So is the world building. Venom was one of the most terrifying series and always used tension elements well. The only flaw is that it hasn't been re-mastered in HD, IMO.

Fair enough, I would say the flaws have become more apparent to me as I have grown older, I would place Spider-Man 94 below Superman TAS, Batman TAS and X-Men TAS. I still have a nostalgic fondness for it and I do not hate it like I do Ultimate Spider-Man. I do think Spectacular Spider-Man is better than Spider-Man TAS. But I think watching paint dry is better than Ultimate Spider-Man and I didn't bother watching Spider-Man 2017.

I think a continuation can fix those flaws and really anything would be better than another Spider-Man in high school series

GRPHX

Fair enough, I would say the flaws have become more apparent to me as I have grown older, I would place Spider-Man 94 below Superman TAS, Batman TAS and X-Men TAS. I still have a nostalgic fondness for it and I do not hate it like I do Ultimate Spider-Man. I do think Spectacular Spider-Man is better than Spider-Man TAS. But I think watching paint dry is better than Ultimate Spider-Man and I didn't bother watching Spider-Man 2017.

I think a continuation can fix those flaws and really anything would be better than another Spider-Man in high school series
There's no way Spectacular could be better than TAS, especially considering its eye scratching art style. They are not in the same league. Spectacular is a very childish and lighthearted show compared to 94. I think you're exaggerating too much. Only the animations are more fluid. But that doesn't make it better.

Guys, let's not go overboard with discussing previous series in the "News" thread for this particular series.
OK. This is my last message

Last edited by a moderator:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Even without any real news about the show (which should be coning out sooner rather than later with it still in production), I think there's still some discussion to be had here without comparing or complaining about the other Spider-Man cartoons over the years. There are other places for that kind of discussion.

Talk about your hopes and expectations from the new series, or alternatively what you wouldn't like to see here. Any particular characters, stories or whatever else. I'll admit there's not much that hasn't already been done in regards to Spidey in animation but pretty much each show so far has managed to bring in some new twists to the stories or include some rather surprising supporting characters, and I doubt this show will be an exception.

GRPHX

I honestly don't think anyone was expecting or curious about this show. That's why there is little message in the title. For this reason, no one is discussing this show because this show will be no different from Spectacular, Ultimate or 2017.

dmxx116

I can only see your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man lasting one season before they move on to a potential Spider-Man 98.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
If you don't have anything to actually add about Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, don't comment rather than only wish for it to be cancelled or anything like that. Infractions will be handed out if this continues.

Please, let's get back to discuss or speculate about the actual show.

Frontier

Staff member
The show is premiering on November 2nd.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, a 2D-animated series covering Spider-Man's early years, is set to debut on Disney+ this fall. Originally announced as Spider-Man: Freshman Year, the series has been in the works since 2021, and was created by Craig of the Creek's Jeff Trammell. The release date came along with an announcement that Cobra Kai veterans Zach Robinson and Leo Birenberg will provide the score. The show will be set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, although Hudson Thames (What If...?) will reprise his role as Spider-Man, rather than live-action franchise star Tom Holland.

The Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man voice cast reportedly includes the likes of Eugene Byrd (Spidey and His Amazing Friends, 8 Mile) as Lonnie Lincoln, Grace Song (Kidding) as Nico Minoru, Hugh Dancy (Hannibal) as Otto Octavius, Kari Wahlgren (FLCL, Rick and Morty) as Aunt May, and Zeno Robinson (My Hero Academia, Pokemon Master Journeys: The Series) as Harry Osborn.

Tackled by Polygon Pictures, a prominent studio behind anime releases such as Pacific Rim: The Black, Netflix's Godzilla film trilogy, and more, the Spider-Man series will apparently have a unique sound.

"We are beyond stoked to be a part of this standout entry in the MCU," Birenberg and Robinson said in a statement. "Jeff Trammell, Mel Zwyer, and the rest of the team at Marvel could not have been better collaborators, and we are beyond grateful to them for letting us go absolutely wild on this score."

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I am more optimistic than I was awhile ago. I'm eagerly anticipating to see Porky and Daffy's movie in theaters because seeing hand drawn animation on the big screen is a real treat. And Pepe Le Pew is no longer retired. No need to worry anymore. Looney Tunes are still core to WB, and I am excited for what is next for them in the future.
Happy National Radio Day, Uh what's left of it! The day not radio.

Why youtube nickjr have Kamp Koral video for this??
Two Two's wrote on Mejo's profile.
What's your favourite classic Disney short?
#releasethebvsentertainmentlibrary

Featured Posts