"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Spider-Man

While I won't comment on the DeMayo news since we dont know all the details, I do want to say that this show has been winning me over with the recently released clips. I still very very much find this show to be nostalgia bate though and through and I'm so tired of seeing that everywhere nowadays. Much like how I really don't want or think we need Spidey TAS brought back as I'd prefer to see new spins on these characters and not rehashing whatever came before. The animation quality has been very nice looking so far despite it not at all really looking like the original XTAS and the early impressions being very positive has been a nice surprise too. I'm definitely going to be checking it out now to see how it all plays out.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Another nostalgia poster

20240318_150816.jpg

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I can't remember if the original series ever did a "Next Time" teaser, or if they just went with "To Be Continued" text. It just has me thinking of how it didn't feel like the "Previously on Avengers EMH" opens got a lot of love at the time of Season 2 (probably because of the simultaneous condensing of the theme song). I always loved "Previously on X-Men" but I didn't even realize that was a universal thing until the book with that title released.

Thinking about sound bytes, when I hear the echoed sounds of "A New Age Begins" or "I Am Storm, Mistress of the Elements", it really makes feel like I'm hearing something similar to sound bytes from old arcade games.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
No, I don't think there were any "next time on X-Men" bits during the show (there might have been some promos during it's run but don't think they brought in the voice actors for those). I was just tossing out some random ideas.

Animation Scoop interview with Jake Castorena.

Also interesting, the Disney+ April highlights currently don't list a new episode for April 24. Might be an oversight since I don't think they would be taking any breaks.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member

One more trailer before tomorrow

No, I don't think there were any "next time on X-Men" bits during the show (there might have been some promos during it's run but don't think they brought in the voice actors for those). I was just tossing out some random ideas.

No worries. Fox Kids was pretty good about the teasers for follow up episodes, especially during a multi-parter like Dark Phoenix. They really do have to keep Norm Spencer's "Previously". Anything else would be uncivilized.

The original series featured Warren in O5 Flashbacks but he was treated as a stranger after they faced him during The Cure. He was even mentioned as a future member during Beyond Good and Evil. Seeing the O5 picture here, I wonder if they'll finally straighten this out.

Wolverine is still playing with fire.
Personal theory: Jean in action with the ponytail is the genuine article. The other one is probably Maddie. It remains to see how crazy they will go. I'm not sure how much I can take.

Last edited:

ShadowStar

The original series featured Warren in O5 Flashbacks but he was treated as a stranger after they faced him during The Cure. He was even mentioned as a future member during Beyond Good and Evil. Seeing the O5 picture here, I wonder if they'll finally straighten this out.
I hope you're right about Warren -- I would like to see him acknowledged. I would also like to see Betsy, even if that doesn't happen until say season 2.
Personal theory: Jean in action with the ponytail is the genuine article. The other one is probably Maddie. It remains to see how crazy they will go. I'm not sure how much I can take.
I think you're right. This is the feeling that I'm getting too with regard to those character designs.
With Xavier off the table, it would be easy for Mr. Sinister to abduct Jean and replace her with a copy; with both telepaths gone, how would the X-Men know about his scheme...?

Frontier

Staff member
Oh hey, Trask brought out good old Master Mold ;).

I see the love triangle isn't completely dead :p.

I guess there is going to be some disconnect having Magneto headlining the team when he has his own ideals that clash with Xavier's (and the rest of the team).

GRPHX

Unfortunately, since the Telenovela dump in my country is NOW TV and its incompetent managers who also run Disney +, they did not bring the series on the first day.

Considering how little Disney has embraced the legacy of Fox Kids and Saban, I'm surprised that the original art style and even the intro have been preserved. However, the Intro music is not as epic as the first one.

It was nice to see Haim Saban and Shuki Levy back in the music credits. But Disney's lack of reference to the original show and BVS Entertainment in the credits made me see that X-Men 97 was just an exception. I wasn't expecting any references anyway. But I hope it bodes well for the remaining Fox Kids and BVS Entertainment legacy that they stayed faithful enough to preserve the original intro. Unfortunately, this is just a pipe dream, as even the original X-Men series is not fully dubbed in most countries. I can't comment on the series because I couldn't even rewatch it since it wasn't dubbed. Also they didn't add new series to my country anyway. Idiots.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member

Just resting this right here...

I was never the biggest fan of the CGI model outright as a kid. I preferred the one from Season 3 (maybe?) that had some great clips playing over the theme. Then there was the syndicated outro that used the Japanese intro animation over the theme. Anyways, it's still fun that they brought the models back.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
yQR9F54.jpeg

Those CGI models looked pretty weird to me, too. I was also kind of expecting X-Men '97 to look like this when I heard a lot of people online worrying the show would use CGI animation.

GRPHX

yQR9F54.jpeg

Those CGI models looked pretty weird to me, too. I was also kind of expecting X-Men '97 to look like this when I heard a lot of people online worrying the show would use CGI animation.
When it was announced that it would be CG, my concern was that it would be more like What If..., Love, Death & Robots, Iron Man Armored Adventures or Clone Wars. In some places the CG still doesn't look good. But they didn't use it much other than increasing the depth of field. The animations are a bit Archeresque, but so was Invincible. Anyway! As long as it has a distinctive & realistic art style I don't care animations too much.

Due respect is given to Will Meugniot's original art.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I am more optimistic than I was awhile ago. I'm eagerly anticipating to see Porky and Daffy's movie in theaters because seeing hand drawn animation on the big screen is a real treat. And Pepe Le Pew is no longer retired. No need to worry anymore. Looney Tunes are still core to WB, and I am excited for what is next for them in the future.
Happy National Radio Day, Uh what's left of it! The day not radio.

Why youtube nickjr have Kamp Koral video for this??
Two Two's wrote on Mejo's profile.
What's your favourite classic Disney short?
#releasethebvsentertainmentlibrary

Featured Posts