Cartoon Network International News Thread 15.0

Markus Nelis

Their shows are still good but people don't give them much credit because CN right now spams the certain two shows. Everyone wants to focus more on the schedules meaning that modern shows are also called bad for that reason. I agree on one thing, there are depressing schedules but at the same time, if the ratings are high, there's a reason for them to marathon the same shows. I actually like TTG but people dislike it just because it airs too much. It's not the show's fault but more like the schedulers and the rest of the team who decide what to air the most. I'm trying to be positive unlike others. I actually think CN is still one of the best animated places out there even when they don't have much ongoing shows left. That's why EMEA has acquired the shows that the United States won't be airing on CN like Jade Armor. At the end of the day, they're not in trouble or anything. It seems their binge-watch strategy works well. Otherwise they would have stopped by now if it wasn't. We're adults. We can criticize but at the same time they don't have to listen as long as kids still watch the network. I've said this already: switch the channel, get a streaming service if the channel isn't interesting to you. I personally don't see late 2000s shows great however pretty decent.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

The shows are good but that isn't the problem here, older CN aired some trash yet it was still more enjoyable. I can't speak about the other feeds, but I grew up with 2000s CN CEE and have kept on watching the channel since. The channel was never perfect but they did air more shows with a more varied schedule, fun blocks and memorable bumpers. Right now they barely have like 9 shows airing, they don't have any fun blocks anymore, the weekends have the same schedule the weekdays do, dumb censorship plagued every show since 2014 (to the point where many episodes of these shows got banned from airing), the promos and commercials are complete garbage, many of the newer shows are treated badly too. It just feels a lifeless zombie now. And no the ratings aren't high, even Boomerang/Cartoonito constantly beats it according to R-time and it's almost always the dead last least watched channel made for kids.

Markus Nelis

The shows are good but that isn't the problem here, older CN aired some trash yet it was still more enjoyable. I can't speak about the other feeds, but I grew up with 2000s CN CEE and have kept on watching the channel since. The channel was never perfect but they did air more shows with a more varied schedule, fun blocks and memorable bumpers. Right now they barely have like 9 shows airing, they don't have any fun blocks anymore, the weekends have the same schedule the weekdays do, dumb censorship plagued every show since 2014 (to the point where many episodes of these shows got banned from airing), the promos and commercials are complete garbage, many of the newer shows are treated badly too. It just feels a lifeless zombie now. And no the ratings aren't high, even Boomerang/Cartoonito constantly beats it according to R-time and it's almost always the dead last least watched channel made for kids.
Maybe in your country it's the least watched. I think you're like this just because you grew up with CN in the 2000s. Of course you don't enjoy modern shows. I'm pretty sure the viewership is up in most countries. They wouldn't be doing the same marathons of one show all the time. You can say CN sucks but it's not as bad as you claim this to be. It's definitely not the worst kids channel. You can't just judge te channel by it's schedules but watch full episodes of their shows to judge if their content is truly that bad.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

Maybe in your country it's the least watched. I think you're like this just because you grew up with CN in the 2000s. Of course you don't enjoy modern shows. I'm pretty sure the viewership is up in most countries. They wouldn't be doing the same marathons of one show all the time. You can say CN sucks but it's not as bad as you claim this to be. It's definitely not the worst kids channel. You can't just judge te channel by it's schedules but watch full episodes of their shows to judge if their content is truly that bad.
Did you even read my comment? I literally never said that I don't enjoy modern shows, and I said that the shows themselves aren't the problem here. I gave out objective reasons why the channel is worse than it was in the past and I DID say that I am specifically talking about the CN I grew up with only, it's how I started my comment.

Francisque

Wait a second though, he isn't saying (me neither) that all modern shows are bad, but variety, creativity in pretty much everything was much much better around 20-10 years ago, and that's a fact

All we get compared to back then is dust, relatively speaking

It isn't, far from being up, it has dropped in many countries, as linear TV in general has

Their strategy is just let's successful stuff repeat stuff over and over with the remaining audience, but it's a flawed one
It isn't the worst kids channel, but it's lost quite a lot

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
These days the channel feel more sterile and boring overall, not just CN. Not all, but with some it's more apparent than others. Less shows on rotation, less bumpers, less creative promos, less experimentation, more marathons, more censorship. I've basically experienced CN since its launch. Across several feeds. And what I prefer, what most people prefer around the world, about the classic times is not nostalgia feelings anymore imo. It's just that the channel felt like worth watching because it felt alive and you could feel they had fun putting it together, doing it not just for the money and views like today, but also out of passion. Of course, after so many years it gets more challenging to keep things fresh. Be it schedule or graphics. And for us to be surprised by something. But there are channels or feeds that still have an old vibe of at least remotely caring about their image other than from the corporate side and being more down to earth relatable. Were all shows old CN aired good? No. Did they spam some shows? Yes. But overall... it was a much better place and time. Some stuff they aired 10-20 years ago wouldn't make it past censors or shareholders these days. Now you have just show, bumper, promo, commercial, bumper, show. No music videos, no general promos, visually everything very simple. Streaming is fine, but not even HBO Max has all the content. Even VOD is based on views to the point of them removing their own shows. It's a bit wack. Not to mention the shows they air... all soft comedies. Action doesn't exist anymore, jokes apart from toilet humor don't exist anymore, crazy characters and plots don't exist anymore... too sensitive for all that now. Do you understand how revolutionary was the Cartoon Cartoon programme or the Network's launch or the launch of Toonami and Boomerang? And how much effort was put into the Checkerboard and Powerhouse and City presentation? You don't have to be a fan of any of them to see how complex CN was at one point. These days it's just stagnating. And frankly, I hate to say this, the CEE feed has become much worse than CN US by now. I don't have anything against Gumball, Teen Titans Go or whatnot at this point. They can air whatever they want. But looking at what they are doing... This is how most channels look like before they shut down. CN CEE has vibes of Animax CEE during the last year. I much prefer Nick and Disney to CN. Not much better, but I see a small difference. And CN can't be bothered even to level up. European viewers are treated like trash by WBD. The worst of all regions. Classics aren't on the channel, aren't on DVD and aren't on HBO Max. Unlike America or Asia-Pacific. And the rest I've already said. The improvements that CN here makes are miniscule. They don't even communicate anything anymore to the press. You say we are negative, but why should we stick our heads into the sand about the fact that our favorite channel is slowly dying? Someone has to say it otherwise chances for improving it would be zero. Just because some of its direction doesn't affect you doesn't mean that all the trends are okay and don't affect others. I bet there are more unsatisfied viewers altogether, but they just don't know who to write.

Markus Nelis

Did you even read my comment? I literally never said that I don't enjoy modern shows, and I said that the shows themselves aren't the problem here. I gave out objective reasons why the channel is worse than it was in the past and I DID say that I am specifically talking about the CN I grew up with only, it's how I started my comment.
I did read your comment. However it seemed like you don't like modern content outside of maybe Total DramaRama. Also I never said I didn't read your comment. If y'all don't like CN, just don't watch anymore. Yes, they don't have blocks anymore, but that doesn't automatically mean the entire network is bad just because of them not being creative with blocks anymore. It's not the worst network like you say. I've seen some more worse ones especially when it comes to local kids channels. Sure, you can criticize anytime you want but it's not like they're going to listen to this forum since I don't really see much complaints elsewhere. I don't see their target demo complaining. You are out of the demo, that's the thing. You just don't like CN anymore because you already grew up with old CN. At the end of the day, they're not great like before, I acknowledge that but their content they air is still good that the entire channel isn't even that bad as everyone thinks it is. I'm done for now. I just hope people don't come complain in this thread too much as it takes over half of this thread discussion.

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

I did read your comment. However it seemed like you don't like modern content outside of maybe Total DramaRama. Also I never said I didn't read your comment. If y'all don't like CN, just don't watch anymore. Yes, they don't have blocks anymore, but that doesn't automatically mean the entire network is bad just because of them not being creative with blocks anymore. It's not the worst network like you say. I've seen some more worse ones especially when it comes to local kids channels. Sure, you can criticize anytime you want but it's not like they're going to listen to this forum since I don't really see much complaints elsewhere. I don't see their target demo complaining. You are out of the demo, that's the thing. You just don't like CN anymore because you already grew up with old CN. At the end of the day, they're not great like before, I acknowledge that but their content they air is still good that the entire channel isn't even that bad as everyone thinks it is. I'm done for now. I just hope people don't come complain in this thread too much as it takes over half of this thread discussion.
I literally said that I like modern content in my comments, just because I care about one show more than the rest doesn't mean that I dislike the rest and I already said that I don't. Please stop telling us what to do in a thread like this. We aren't breaking any rules by just stating something we don't like about one or two CN feeds.

Markus Nelis

I literally said that I like modern content in my comments, just because I care about one show more than the rest doesn't mean that I dislike the rest and I already said that I don't. Please stop telling us what to do in a thread like this. We aren't breaking any rules by just stating something we don't like about one or two CN feeds.
I don't break the rules either. I can defend them how much I want. I never said you have to stop. I said I hope to not clog up the entire thread with nothing but complaints. This is also a news thread. Why do you always reply to me when I have something to say. The rest of the year you're just quite.

Daffyrocks

The Day the..... Roof Blew Up?!?
I think many have already covered what I should also have said about the current CN in EMEA. Since this is basically the truth.

About the shows themselves, if you take your time to watch most of them, you will learn to appreciate them and see they are pretty good. Yes, they aren't as risquy as the older content and that is because the censorship rules have also become strict thanks to the sensitivity of the current generations. Thus, there are certain series that feel life-less, the censors making them worse. But, most of the current and post-2010 stuff are acceptable and lots of effort are put into them. The only problem is how the channels operate themselves. You can say what you want, but IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT STREAMING SERVICES OR SVOD EXIST. NO. SOME PEOPLE STILL ONLY WATCH LINEAR, EVEN SOME YOUNGSTERS FROM CONSERVATIVE FAMILIES, THUS EVERY TV CHANNEL NEEDS TO REMAIN RELEVANT. LET ALONE THE KIDS CHANNELS. They still need to take care how much or less they air, what is the variety consisting of, what the continuity looks, what the branding looks. If the USA kids channels can still be alive, the EMEA can as well. TV hasn't died yet and it doesn't seem it will do so that soon.

Plus, this thread is not only about news. We can discuss everything we want, unless it's not about CN. Which we do, so it's ok. It may not have "News and Discussion" in the title, but at the same time forums are the definition of discussing and sharing opinions. Everybody can see that the way they want to, if they don't start interferring into what the other thinks that it's normal. So, it's ok to complain as much as we want about how CN looks like as a channel as long as it's an important matter, because we have the right to and we do it politely. Yes, we shouldn't complain THAT MUCH, but we hadn't arrived there yet.

Markus Nelis

I'm just tired of this "old CN good, new CN bad". People basically look in the schedules instead of enjoying what CN brings to the table. That being content they even air.

Daffyrocks

The content they air is good enough (even though the upcoming slate is minimal for now, but that is to be seen if it improves). Not everyone looks only at the schedules, that's for sure, but the problem is that linear TV is still relevant for a group of people. Maybe it's a small one, but it exists. CN CEE, at least, is very low at this part. It's not about the shows, but someone who isn't used to streaming won't be satisfied about the repetitiveness.

Markus Nelis

While I acknowledge that it could be better, it's not as bad as people make it seem. It's not just CN. Many kids channels air repetitive stuff on modern linear television. That's the thing, the popular their shows are, the more they will be airing them. Blaming only CN is just wrong in so many levels. Those who don't want repetitiveness, streaming exists for a reason. Or switch the channel. I doubt someone would pay for linear TV just to watch one channel. I wouldn't have been subscribed to my package if I only watched the same channel while I ignored other channels my provider carries.

Daffyrocks

Repeating the popular shows how much they want alongside decent repeats of ended shows should be the actual norm, but whatever.

RegularCapital

Staff member
I see the debate is getting rather heated, so I'm here to calm things down, anyway here's what I think (keeping in mind this from a UK perspective, so things may or not apply to you).

As you guys know, I've watched CN since day one (yes I am old now), I've seen the channel's ups and downs and today is no different, it's a rollercoaster. At the start, Nickelodeon was better in comparison, but that was because of the live presentation and interactivity with the audience, however CN was free and aired the classics. Things started to change and I was at the right age at CN's peak, this was when all the Cartoon Cartoons were coming out and presentation was top notch.

Around 2007-2010, I felt that the channel wasn't that great anymore, I was at Uni back then as well and had other stuff to focus on. The channel had next to no new animated originals, and we didn't get the CN Real stuff, the U.S. were also depending on Canadian imports, while in Europe, were getting locally produced shows that weren't that great or had little appeal to me.

However if it wasn't for Flapjack and Chowder, things would've gone downhill pretty quickly. Then the most amazing thing happened, CN started being good again, with Adventure Time and Regular Show, Gumball, and Steven Universe, then Over The Garden Wall, it felt just like the late 90's-early 00's again. My perspective on CN's output greatly changed, I no longer saw it from the perspective of a kids show but started to respect animation as an art form, and coupled with my interest in media studies, I joined this forum. Presentation was at a high again, Check It was the refresh the channel needed to usher in a new great era.

Then came the AT&T merger which ruined any decisions the studio and channel wanted to do, and then when things were looking up again after things got settled (with Apple and Onion, Summer Camp Island, Jellystone from WBA, and Craig of the Creek), we had the WBD merger, and as a result it has been 5+ years of pain, plus the presentation has stagnated, but I guess they got fed up with doing what the U.S. is doing every year.

So what is the current state of CN in Europe, what are the good things and the bad things.

The Good:

- The channel is making an effort to keep viewers with the use of Watch and Win competition and also the Game On Roblox world, so they watch the channel rather than just stream, and using what's popular with kids (without being cringy or quickly dated) to remain relevant.

- The European Animation studio is busier than ever and could potentially rival output from the U.S. studio

The Bad:

- Lack of output from the U.S. for CN branded shows, hope Invincible Fight Girl will put that to an end.

- Tougher Content Regulations in European markets: This isn't necessarily Cartoon Network's fault, but it is an opportunity for the European studio to produce for child friendly programming, also helps with meeting quotas.

- Presentation: It's a bit boring now, CN hasn't changed here since 2017, but they still surprise me with some great new Dimensional bumpers, and they make some nice promos.

The Ugly:

- The Content Cull caused by Mad Man Zaz, 'nuff said.

- The threat of streaming is making linear TV presentation a dying art, it's a necessity to make TV more engaging.

Markus Nelis

Maybe ended shows should be on HBO Max rather than on a relevant network where they're newest content actually matters the most. And kids prefer newer stuff.

Also I'm glad someone said something positive about modern CN. All the other comments have been nothing but full of negativity.

BlooMac

I completely disagree that CN shouldn't be airing ended shows, they have the biggest cartoon library with tons of popular and timeless shows. Like isn't that the reason CN started in the first place? Let's be honest, a new episode of Hero Inside or Lego Dreamzz isn't going to beat a good ol' rerun of Adventure Time or Regular Show. Plus, the thing about kids not liking old stuff is kind of a corporate exaggeration. We don't enjoy classic Tom and Jerry, because we were raised in the 1940s.

The EMEA feeds should take notes from CN US and adapt. With fewer kids watching linear TV, they need to aim for a more general audience, including pandering to nostalgia and airing more "risque" shows. There are some pretty good new shows that are sadly, either skipped, due to potentially "upsetting the kiddies", or are aired for a very short amount of time. Instead, CN in EMEA seems to be slowly turning into what Boomerang has been for the past decade here with forgettable European imports filling the schedule, instead of focusing on quality.

Last edited:

josie

One thing I don't understand is why is Regular Show totally erased/ignored by CN RSEE? I'm not sure about other European CNs but we haven't had it since the show ended. It's as if it never existed. It was one of their most popular show, part of the CN renaissance, it had a primetime slot (20.05 and 20.30 CET), for years but ever since it finished, they just totally forgot about it.

ROToon Alt

One thing I don't understand is why is Regular Show totally erased/ignored by CN RSEE? I'm not sure about other European CNs but we haven't had it since the show ended. It's as if it never existed. It was one of their most popular show, part of the CN renaissance, it had a primetime slot (20.05 and 20.30 CET), for years but ever since it finished, they just totally forgot about it.
CN CEE ignore it too

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts