Cartoon Network International News Thread 15.0

RegularCapital

Staff member
How many tracks did CN Europe have in the 90s and when were they added? I remember them not being limited by country, so I used to watch the channel in Italian (I’m an Italian from England) and Spanish (with a Mexican childhood friend) as a kid. But I just want to put a date on it. I wonder if that’s where my dubbing obsession started.

These were the languages on Cartoon Network Europe, before a major push towards localisation.

English (1993)
French (1993)
Swedish (1993)
Norwegian (1993)
Spanish (1994)
Italian (1996)
Danish (1997)

There was also Dutch, but it launched as a separate feed version for the Netherlands in 1997, although it was separate, it shared the same Teletext service and it was very similar to the pan-European version. This is also the same for Poland (Polish) in 1998, with exception to teletext.

MagiaDiWinx

These were the languages on Cartoon Network Europe, before a major push towards localisation.

English (1993)
French (1993)
Swedish (1993)
Norwegian (1993)
Spanish (1994)
Italian (1996)
Danish (1997)

There was also Dutch, but it launched as a separate feed version for the Netherlands in 1997, although it was separate, it shared the same Teletext service and it was very similar to the pan-European version. This is also the same for Poland (Polish) in 1998, with exception to teletext.
Thank you! Obviously I was misled, not trying to spread misinformation…yeah I turned 10 in December 1994 and 12 in December 1996 so I did watch it with these tracks as a kid with my Mexican friend as, again, they were not limited by country. And that probably got me into dubs.

RegularCapital

Staff member
What...?
What made them to do this?
Maybe to reduce the excess of social media for kids? Or some intern problems

Probably to reduce the amount of things they have to maintain, they did the same for the Twitter account, CN in Europe is now overstretched with managers overseeing multiple feeds. I guess that social media isn't working out for them considering that the channel's viewers tend to be under the age 13, and unlike the U.S., they're not appealing to older audiences that much. The TikTok and YouTube accounts still exist though.

ROToon Alt

Probably to reduce the amount of things they have to maintain, they did the same for the Twitter account, CN in Europe is now overstretched with managers overseeing multiple feeds. I guess that social media isn't working out for them considering that the channel's viewers tend to be under the age 13, and unlike the U.S., they're not appealing to older audiences that much. The TikTok and YouTube accounts still exist though.
Yep,that would make more sense.I've seen the old generation asking them for old shows and nothing else and only a few kids were there so...yea,it was a waste of time for them (at least in Romania,and probably in other European countries as well)

Francisque

Yeah, I don't think we should read too much into that :D

I suppose they're just getting rid of the redundant bits, partially in order to save money ;) (not that there are huge costs about an Instagram account, but there needs to be someone behind that, and it's still a responsibility... not worth it)

Yep,that would make more sense.I've seen the old generation asking them for old shows and nothing else and only a few kids were there so...yea,it was a waste of time for them (at least in Romania,and probably in other European countries as well)
Yes, the amount of criticism based on nostalgia these social media pages also get is tiring and trite

That's why I kind of "get them"

andredrandre2

Cartoon Network closing its social media accounts is unthinkable here in Latin America, especially in Brazil, where both Twitter and Tiktok accounts interact with the public.

BlooMac

Just because they're a kids channel, doesn't mean they have to make everyone else feel unwelcomed. Heck, I'm sure their kiddy approach is turning off some of the older kids that are supposed to be part of the target demo too. This isn't going to help their decreasing viewership. One of the reasons CN was popular was the general appeal, you know, when all kinds of people would talk about the channel, not just toddlers.

ROToon Alt

Just because they're a kids channel, doesn't mean they have to make everyone else feel unwelcomed. Heck, I'm sure their kiddy approach is turning off some of the older kids that are supposed to be part of the target demo too. This isn't going to help their decreasing viewership. One of the reasons CN was popular was the general appeal, you know, when all kinds of people would talk about the channel, not just toddlers.
That's the problem,the cartoons got a childish artstyle and themes to get the kids to watch CN and older audience is not impressed
Back then cartoons were more flexible where older and young viewers could watch CN together having part of both serious,funny and fun moments on those cartoons (so were the CN sites and interaction with the fans)

BlooMac

The older audience isn't impressed because the channel keeps pushing a "kids only" image. They think these shows are just like what they're promoting, some "kiddy nonsense", not because the actual shows are bad. No one is going to check out a show if they're not impressed by the promotion.

Gumball is probably one of the last CN shows that were promoted properly in Europe, being a favorite show among all audiences, but that's thanks to the old management. Shows like Craig of the Creek and Looney Tunes Cartoons are something older audiences can enjoy too, but they won't find that out, thanks to the channel's awful marketing.

Markus Nelis

Good shows, bad marketing. Promos turn people off because it's like they only talk to ages 6 to 10. I watch more Cartoonito than CN at this point. CN is targeting towards little kids more and more that in 10 years they will target towards babies. Really, I'm serious.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these proposals:

Has anyone seen PSI Cops last night?

(cricket noises)

Yeah, I still can't believe that was a thing.
Paramount and Skydance have officially merged. Does this mean that Brian Robbins got the boot?
Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.

Featured Posts