Cartoon Network International News Thread 15.0

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Now it's also showing 502 error in Poland when accessing CN LatAm and CN Brasil sites.

Unless I'm wrong, these geoblocks began after GDPR entered into force in 2018.
Since the GDPR laws, only the EMEA websites can be accessed from Europe, when I wanted to see the continuation of the hacks on the CN LA/BR website, I was redirected.

Useless fact: one of the CN PT pages still had the thumbnail to Teclado lindinho 2009 listed as late as November or December 2019

Moleoman

the Shaggy / Droopy filler has an audio alteration. In the original American version, when they both arrive, Shaggy instead says "Would you look at that!"
I remember seeing a CN US continuity with the same variation before this CN Asia continuity appeared. CN UK/Europe seems to use only original version.

Also the "Sneak previews" animations from the CN UK continuity were recycled for "Toon Extra" bumpers on CN Italy, CN Pan-Euro and CN PL/CEE.

J10

I guess the video was from the last months before it became an entertainment channel on October of that year, where TCM got launched on digital signal, while TNT remained analog for about a year, as the word “Classic Movies” isn’t existed.

Last edited:

Ati

Sorry for double post, but here's another continuites from CN UK from September 1999 which includes a promo about they scrambling CN on October 15th.

Markus Nelis

Sadly, parents "judgemental" and "moralistic" parents these days have too much of a say
Parents want to understandably protect their children. Maybe a bit too much but they will be better adults if the parents teach them better. I've also had talks with my girlfriend for a potential child soon so we will probably do the same thing.

Francisque

Parents want to understandably protect their children. Maybe a bit too much but they will be better adults if the parents teach them better. I've also had talks with my girlfriend for a potential child soon so we will probably do the same thing.
Of course parents should do anything to protect their children, and I also agree with some junk food bans here and there, but you're not protecting your children by censorship and other silly moves, infantilizing TV so much (when the exact opposite is available elsewhere freely: love the hypocrisy)

That's one thing I don't like about modern children's TV: most things seems much watered down compared to the past
You can't make silly innuendos, you can't make slightly more adult kind of jokes, you can't use "more raw real life stories" (e.g. some toons and older children's TV productions used to deal with death), and so on
With some exceptions that prove to be more popular, even among older people

Probably this is also leading to death of children's traditional TV, even on streaming

Of course some things have also improved, I definitely appreciate there's more openness on LGBT+ rights even in toons (albeit much criticized), but some things, I just were back to "normal"

Preschooler shows have also gotten particularly bland! Compare something like PB&J Otter, Papa Beaver's Storytime to most production these days, which treats preschoolers as almost unable to do any reasoning by themselves

Sorry for the slight OT

Markus Nelis

Times change. So do parents. Sorry but every generation has their own ways how to protect their children. Times keep changing every decade. Sometimes you see a lot of content that's not oversafe and sometimes parents just want the best for the children. Gotta respect it. You can't expect everyone to be the same. It is what it is. I'm currently fine how kids are growing up without any violence from the parents like spanking. I see a lot of difference between myself and my brother. I got hit with the belt when I did something wrong but he gets away with it cause again, times change and this is illegal now. (sorry for OFF)

Francisque

Oh don't get me wrong, there are definitely issues in the 90s/00s that I'm glad are over, bullying was crazy, as misogyny, homophobia, racism etc. and probably you're correct there was maybe too much "violence for the sake of it", not that I disagree with all of the action shows
I'm not even a "nostalgia with rose-tinted glasse s"person

But maybe it's getting to a point where our TV is getting, I don't know, too much "hypocritical" (plus, not all the shows back then were exactly the same), especially when what is available on the likes of TikTok is the exact opposite of what you can find on kids channels

There must be a... balance, I guess? Not that it's easy as pie to change anything, mine was just an observation more than a suggestion ;)

You won't see me anywhere justifying spanking as good education LOL, although many parents do
But I'm not that kind of person and never I will be :D
As mentioned before, I'm glad many things are over

Markus Nelis

Well. I didn't say spanking is good either but at the end it worked well as I barely did anything wrong later on. Depends on the person. For some it worked, for some it backfired.

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
I guess the video was from the last months before it became an entertainment channel on October of that year, where TCM got launched on digital signal, while TNT remained analog for about a year, as the word “Classic Movies” isn’t existed.
The ident on that video is more of a WCW variant, as it has a rock rendition of the ident music, and I have seen the fire background from the WCW promo in the 1996 continuities.

Reactions: J10

Daffyrocks

The Day the..... Roof Blew Up?!?
Of course parents should do anything to protect their children, and I also agree with some junk food bans here and there, but you're not protecting your children by censorship and other silly moves, infantilizing TV so much (when the exact opposite is available elsewhere freely: love the hypocrisy)

That's one thing I don't like about modern children's TV: most things seems much watered down compared to the past
You can't make silly innuendos, you can't make slightly more adult kind of jokes, you can't use "more raw real life stories" (e.g. some toons and older children's TV productions used to deal with death), and so on
With some exceptions that prove to be more popular, even among older people

Probably this is also leading to death of children's traditional TV, even on streaming

Of course some things have also improved, I definitely appreciate there's more openness on LGBT+ rights even in toons (albeit much criticized), but some things, I just were back to "normal"

Preschooler shows have also gotten particularly bland! Compare something like PB&J Otter, Papa Beaver's Storytime to most production these days, which treats preschoolers as almost unable to do any reasoning by themselves

Sorry for the slight OT
True words right here!

Truth said, back in "the old days", there was always the norm for families to watch animated series and films with their children. Family viewing was a big thing, hence why most of the time they were never afraid to show the innuendos and the more mature themes. As they knew the parents would explain to the kids every hidden joke.

Right now, as the times have really changed, kids mostly watch stuff on their tablets ALONE. Thus, parents have more trust in them and automatically, the creators of the content also need to make sure kids are safe on their own. Granted, the CEE team of Cartoon Network also has this in mind.... maybe too much.

ballwa44

These days, it's also weird to see a KFC advert, I miss the "wild west" days where broadcasters had fewer rules :D

It's funny, back in the 2000s most ads on the Hungarian subfeed of CN CEE were directed at children, but in the 2010s it became more general (various supermarkets, clothes, food and drinks... and of course, toilet paper). I never thought too much about it, in fact, I reckon we've even had adverts for alcohol on the channel, which wouldn't be too off-colour - if you visit Hungary, you can see various adverts for unhealthy food and drink products everywhere on the streets, so there's no point in policing it for children's channels specifically. Because even if you didn't show those adverts on TV, you could easily come across them whilst on the tram for instance.

EDIT: Though my stance on this is similar to my stance on cursing - older dubs for cartoons featured some cursing here and there... and I know that objectively speaking maybe they shouldn't have (though it doesn't feel very odd for something like Total Drama), I think children hear way worse cursing in their day to day lives, so at that point, it doesn't make a difference if a curse word can be heard in a cartoon. Couple that with the fact that many children watch adult shows in secret (especially Family Guy and South Park come to mind)... I'm not saying cartoons on CN should have cursing in them, I'm just saying that it's very noticable that the language is often toned-down.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm
It's such a shame that the anime with the long-pink-haired girls like Hinagiku Katsura and Bocchi are never officially dubbed into English. What do you think?

Featured Posts