Cartoon Network International News Thread 15.0

Francisque

It's funny, back in the 2000s most ads on the Hungarian subfeed of CN CEE were directed at children, but in the 2010s it became more general (various supermarkets, clothes, food and drinks... and of course, toilet paper). I never thought too much about it, in fact, I reckon we've even had adverts for alcohol on the channel, which wouldn't be too off-colour - if you visit Hungary, you can see various adverts for unhealthy food and drink products everywhere on the streets, so there's no point in policing it for children's channels specifically. Because even if you didn't show those adverts on TV, you could easily come across them whilst on the tram for instance.

EDIT: Though my stance on this is similar to my stance on cursing - older dubs for cartoons featured some cursing here and there... and I know that objectively speaking maybe they shouldn't have (though it doesn't feel very odd for something like Total Drama), I think children hear way worse cursing in their day to day lives, so at that point, it doesn't make a difference if a curse word can be heard in a cartoon. Couple that with the fact that many children watch adult shows in secret (especially Family Guy and South Park come to mind)... I'm not saying cartoons on CN should have cursing in them, I'm just saying that it's very noticable that the language is often toned-down.
CN CEE "was" broadcast with an OFCOM license, as most other EMEA operations bar very few others like CN Italy (not since the beginning either, since CN Italy also had been broadcast with a British license), which meant there are huge restrictions with the junk food for children bans since 2006, hence why the "non-local" decisions

Some argue which is what killed children's TV in the UK, but I'm somehow doubtful, since, the deletion of children's TV presentation blocks and so on was already ongoing during such an era not just in the UK, probably moving towards higher Internet presence since 2005

As for the junk food bans: even in countries without too much of local restrictions, adverts for that kind of thing and children in general, are getting rarer and rarer

2 quid is good

wag1 g wys
Some argue which is what killed children's TV in the UK, but I'm somehow doubtful, since, the deletion of children's TV presentation blocks and so on was already ongoing during such an era not just in the UK, probably moving towards higher Internet presence since 2005
Personally I would have thought the 2000s was the strongest decade for children's TV in the uk

Francisque

Personally I would have thought the 2000s was the strongest decade for children's TV in the uk
More like the early 2000s, the mid-2000s were already kind of the "in the middle", with children's TV not being as healthy as it used to be (more repeats on repeats), while the early 2000s were more of a golden era in variety, which doesn't mean later eras didn't produce also good stuff

Not that other eras were bad too, and the mid-2000s were still kind of healthy, but Internet overall was starting to "take over" the interest of children

It is what it is, it's also a good thing now children can choose what to do, albeit at times TOO MUCH

ballwa44

As for the junk food bans: even in countries without too much of local restrictions, adverts for that kind of thing and children in general, are getting rarer and rarer
Are they? I feel like I see more fast food adverts nowadays than ever, in the streets that is (since I don't really watch TV nowadays).

Francisque

Sure, but even so, on the rare occasion that I do watch TV, I don't suppose there are any less adverts for fast food or alcohol, than there used to be.
On children's TV programming I meant, not the rest, where they always have been present :D

Daffyrocks

The Day the..... Roof Blew Up?!?
Alcohol ads are also NOT present on the Romanian (raw) feed of CN CEE. Most of the time they show ads about dish washers, toilet paper, shampoos and body products. Ads for toys are not very frequent, to be honest, they only get so around fall, until Christmas time.

JulianRO

It feels quite stupid for me to see ads at shampoos, toilet paper, and other off-topic products on a kids channel. But hey, they must earn as much money as they can, so...

zakawer2

#BringBackDislikes
Virtually all of the ads on Cartoon Network Nordic (if they still air commercials, which I doubt they do anymore) are directed toward children. But that's not the case with some other CN feeds. Why's that?

Last edited:

J10

I wish Europe used this sound effect instead of the explosion-choir mix. But it's also weird that they didn't make a green-screen version of the cloud transition to put their own TNT ident in.
For the Asian feed’s transition video, the Asian feed should have used the one that is used in Europe in 1995, which went dark screen smoothly after the explosion finished before going to TNT ident, but without the mixing track at the end.

Their transition looks weird, because it fades to black during that explosion effect and cuts to TNT Asia’s Line Up promo.

Francisque

Virtually all of the ads on Cartoon Network Nordic (if they still air commercials, which I doubt they do anymore) are directed toward children. But that's not the case with some other CN feeds. Why's that?
There's no traditional advertising anymore on CN Nordic, nor on most other children's channels for that matter

The children's advertising sector in the Nordics has died, likely because of it being a wealthy small part of the world which has invested in streaming and On Demand too

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
For the Asian feed’s transition video, the Asian feed should have used the one that is used in Europe in 1995, which went dark screen smoothly after the explosion finished before going to TNT ident, but without the mixing track at the end.

Their transition looks weird, because it fades to black during that explosion effect and cuts to TNT Asia’s Line Up promo.
The 1995 variant of the European handover was the origin of the 1998-2006 Poland/CEE handover to TCM, as there is no logo below the channel switcher and as the clouds go away, the screen goes black, the TCM ident also has a black background.

Reactions: J10

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts