Old-School CN Nostalgia Thread (1990s)

Mickialla

Suave Incarnate
I just found another thing to put in my letter. :D Thank you so much! I never saw this before, and I wish they could do this again.

Haha, good idea Tednut. I never saw this before either, and I loved it right away. They should definitely do this again, though I'm sure the crowd of cartoons attending the awards would be much smaller.

Mickialla

Suave Incarnate
Awww man... I just remembered those Big Pick shorts that aired in 2001 and 2002, and now I feel like I want to see them all, but they're nowhere to be found!!! None of them at all. Other than the Billy and Mandy, KND, and Megas XLR pilots (Along with the Kitty Bobo Pilot for BPII), all of the Big Pick, Big Pick 2 and Summerfest shorts are gone. Does anyone know if there's some place I can find these pilots???

Ace Goodheart

Strong, Digilent, Fearless
DAMNIT! Looks like I'm a day late. Oh well, I guess it's the "thought" that matters......

This week not only marked three long years since I first registered here at the "Toon Zone" forums, but more importantly marked three years since I created this great thread. Over the last couple of years, and I'm honestly not trying to "toot my own horn", this thread has had somewhat of a big role in developing the prescence and documentation of the "Old-School", '90's Cartoon Network; specifically its "technical" side such as promos, commercials, station idents, bumpers, programming schedules and whatnot. Through the efforts of myself and many who've regularly (and irregularly) frequented this thread over the years, we've also helped clean up or add to some of the inaccuracies of pre-existing sources for old-school CN such as "The X Bridge"'s "Toonami Timeline" and the Wikipedia article on Cartoon Network. Most notably, and coinciding with the advent popularity of YouTube and the like, long-lost CN promos, ads and ID's that haven't been seen since the 1990's were once again available for the masses to view, and some big proponents of this has been guys such as "Kevin" "abwayax" (who later created his own old-school CN site, "Operation Time Capsule"), "rksexy2finger", "cbsfan" and others I can't remember off the top of my head. Not to mention, it was early on in this thread that the famous CN "10th anniversary tribute" video originated (I forgot who was it that provided it, but that post has long since been deleted from what I see), which I subsequently uploaded to YT one of the first videos on my "SuperAdventures" account. Two years and over 300,000 views later, its safe to say that its been a success. :)

Long story short, a lot of great things and a lot of great discussions and reminiscing both occured and came from this thread, which in turn led to people achieving and contributing more great, old-school CN-related things outside of it and so on and so forth!!! And whether on this thread, on Toon Zone or anywhere else over the 'net, I hope that the era of old-school CN continues to be documented and preserved. And its been done so up until now, thanks to...........no, sure as hell not me (I'm just the trivia/programming schedules guy), but to all you guys! Now, for the "announcement" which I may or may not have brought up here already:

As I've previously mentioned (to some), I've managed to acquire VHS recordings of all 85 episodes of "G-Force: Guardians of Space", which was CN's first-ever anime. All of these episodes were recorded off of the show's first and second runs on Cartoon Network, from January-July 1995. Better yet, a good chunk of these 11 tapes that I've acquired contain MANY TV commercials from not only that time period (although the selection of commercials that aired on CN at the time were really limited and repetitive) but..........you guessed it, from Cartoon Network themselves. That means promos, bumpers and ID's, many of which have yet to surface over the 'net! I bought these tapes off of an acquaintance back in February, and glimpsed through some of them throughout the month of March (albeit not much, considering each tape contained HOURS of recorded footage and commercials), but soon shelved them due to college obligations. Now that I've just come off a strenuous, yet very successful college semester, I'll have a few more obligations to tend to on my off-time, but will hopefully (and soon) begin the process of not only "cataloging" all of the footage and commercials I see from these tapes (seeing as "G-Force" never did contain any episode numbers or titles), but then find some way to record anything CN-related off of these tapes (and I assume that there's still quite a lot that I have yet to discover!) and upload them to YT (maybe even strike a deal with OTC ;) ) for the masses to see! All I can tell you for now is that the content I've stumbled upon so far is great, and has yet to be uploaded by anyone. Off of the top of my head, this is what I recalled seeing months ago:

- promos for two of CN's then-new action cartoon acquisitions; "G-Force" and "James Bond Jr.", both of which premiered on January 2nd, 1995.

- a promo or two for CN's late-Friday night "Toonapalooza" block

- show-specific promos for CN's Saturday afternoon (and over-night) action blocks, first known as "Super Adventure Saturdays" (later re-named to "Power Zone", as seen on some of my later tapes)

- A handful of promos touting the now-legendary "World Premiere Toon-In" simulcast on President's Day 1995

- weekly, show-specific promos for the then-new "World Premiere Toons"

- various CN ID's and misc. promos, including some of which are already up on the 'net ("shifting checkerboard")

Man, I was on cloud friggin' nine while watching all of this stuff. :) And to think that there still might be MORE on some of the later tapes (I hope). I pray that I'll be able to share all of this goodness with all of you in the near future, but it'll be a long, painstaking and delicate process (considering I lack any hardware to even transfer this stuff to another medium, much less upload them to the 'net) so now that I've dropped this bombshell of an announcement, please remain patient and well........stay tuned for updates.

With that said, here's to a happy 3rd anniversary for this great thread, and thanks so much to the board mods of TZ for once again making this a "sticky" thread!!! (You guys won't de-sticky it anytime soon..........right? :sweat: )

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack_6428

DAMNIT! Looks like I'm a day late. Oh well, I guess it's the "thought" that matters......

This week not only marked three long years since I first registered here at the "Toon Zone" forums, but more importantly marked three years since I created this great thread. Over the last couple of years, and I'm honestly not trying to "toot my own horn", this thread has had somewhat of a big role in developing the prescence and documentation of the "Old-School", '90's Cartoon Network; specifically its "technical" side such as promos, commercials, station idents, bumpers, programming schedules and whatnot. Through the efforts of myself and many who've regularly (and irregularly) frequented this thread over the years, we've also helped clean up or add to some of the inaccuracies of pre-existing sources for old-school CN such as "The X Bridge"'s "Toonami Timeline" and the Wikipedia article on Cartoon Network. Most notably, and coinciding with the advent popularity of YouTube and the like, long-lost CN promos, ads and ID's that haven't been seen since the 1990's were once again available for the masses to view, and some big proponents of this has been guys such as "Kevin" "abwayax" (who later created his own old-school CN site, "Operation Time Capsule"), "rksexy2finger", "cbsfan" and others I can't remember off the top of my head. Not to mention, it was early on in this thread that the famous CN "10th anniversary tribute" video originated (I forgot who was it that provided it, but that post has long since been deleted from what I see), which I subsequently uploaded to YT one of the first videos on my "SuperAdventures" account. Two years and over 300,000 views later, its safe to say that its been a success. :)

Long story short, a lot of great things and a lot of great discussions and reminiscing both occured and came from this thread, which in turn led to people achieving and contributing more great, old-school CN-related things outside of it and so on and so forth!!! And whether on this thread, on Toon Zone or anywhere else over the 'net, I hope that the era of old-school CN continues to be documented and preserved. And its been done so up until now, thanks to...........no, sure as hell not me (I'm just the trivia/programming schedules guy), but to all you guys! Now, for the "announcement" which I may or may not have brought up here already:

As I've previously mentioned (to some), I've managed to acquire VHS recordings of all 85 episodes of "G-Force: Guardians of Space", which was CN's first-ever anime. All of these episodes were recorded off of the show's first and second runs on Cartoon Network, from January-July 1995. Better yet, a good chunk of these 11 tapes that I've acquired contain MANY TV commercials from not only that time period (although the selection of commercials that aired on CN at the time were really limited and repetitive) but..........you guessed it, from Cartoon Network themselves. That means promos, bumpers and ID's, many of which have yet to surface over the 'net! I bought these tapes off of an acquaintance back in February, and glimpsed through some of them throughout the month of March (albeit not much, considering each tape contained HOURS of recorded footage and commercials), but soon shelved them due to college obligations. Now that I've just come off a strenuous, yet very successful college semester, I'll have a few more obligations to tend to on my off-time, but will hopefully (and soon) begin the process of not only "cataloging" all of the footage and commercials I see from these tapes (seeing as "G-Force" never did contain any episode numbers or titles), but then find some way to record anything CN-related off of these tapes (and I assume that there's still quite a lot that I have yet to discover!) and upload them to YT (maybe even strike a deal with OTC ;) ) for the masses to see! All I can tell you for now is that the content I've stumbled upon so far is great, and has yet to be uploaded by anyone. Off of the top of my head, this is what I recalled seeing months ago:

- promos for two of CN's then-new action cartoon acquisitions; "G-Force" and "James Bond Jr.", both of which premiered on January 2nd, 1995.

- a promo or two for CN's late-Friday night "Toonapalooza" block

- show-specific promos for CN's Saturday afternoon (and over-night) action blocks, first known as "Super Adventure Saturdays" (later re-named to "Power Zone", as seen on some of my later tapes)

- A handful of promos touting the now-legendary "World Premiere Toon-In" simulcast on President's Day 1995

- weekly, show-specific promos for the then-new "World Premiere Toons"

- various CN ID's and misc. promos, including some of which are already up on the 'net ("shifting checkerboard")

Man, I was on cloud friggin' nine while watching all of this stuff. :) And to think that there still might be MORE on some of the later tapes (I hope). I pray that I'll be able to share all of this goodness with all of you in the near future, but it'll be a long, painstaking and delicate process (considering I lack any hardware to even transfer this stuff to another medium, much less upload them to the 'net) so now that I've dropped this bombshell of an announcement, please remain patient and well........stay tuned for updates.

With that said, here's to a happy 3rd anniversary for this great thread, and thanks so much to the board mods of TZ for once again making this a "sticky" thread!!! (You guys won't de-sticky it anytime soon..........right? :sweat: )

wow, thats awsome, really!!! You are a lucky guy and good person to make this thread :)
Is on those tapes a "The Centurions" commercial/promo and a "Swat Kats" commercial/promo aswell ??

Racattack!Force

私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !
Whoa, this is really great. Before I came to this thread, I had near-no memory of the 1990's. But now, because of this thread you created, I now recalled what Cartoon Network used to be like...truly "The Best Place For Cartoons".

Ace Goodheart

wow, thats awsome, really!!! You are a lucky guy and good person to make this thread :)
Is on those tapes a "The Centurions" commercial/promo and a "Swat Kats" commercial/promo aswell ??

I doubt that I have anything on "Centurions", seeing as, IIRC, "The Centurions" was replaced by "G-Force" on CN's weekday afternoon action block when the latter premiered on January 2nd, 1995. I might have something "SWAT Kats" related seeing as it was prominently airing at the time, but I'm not sure. Regardless, please be patient as no answers (or footage) will be available immediately. :sad:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Hey, thanks for the Fancy Anvils. I loved that thing. Mind if I ask you all what you voted for in each catagory? Here was my ballot from back in the day:

Favorite Female Performance: Sarah(Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy)

Favorite Villain: Zorak(Space Ghost)

Favorite Inaminate Object: Plank(Ed, Edd, n' Eddy)

Fvaorite Male Performance: Daffy Duck

Favorite Team: Ed, Edd, n' Eddy

Favorite Gratuitous Hiney Shot: I.R. Baboon(I Am Weasel)

Favorite Song: "Rabbit of Seville"

Favorite Cartoon: "I Love To Singa"

As you can see, I was huge on Ed, Edd, n' Eddy and Looney Tunes as a kid and still am to this day.

Eddy

there's a chicken on my head
I remember that Fancy Anvil thing.

Geez, what was with CN's obsession with that Goober and Ghost Chasers thing? I remember thinking the same thing when it originally aired. They nominated it for nearly everything.

Pomegranate

Although CN's lineup this year is indeed a real improvement over last year's, which was a huge disappointment, I preferred the pre-2004 lineups overall because they had true variety, which their biggest competitors don't have, and also more story-driven series rather than endless reruns of CN originals, hackjob anime dubs(though they were more prevalent at the time) and the latest Shonen Jump fad gobbling up CN's entire lineup, IIRC.:shrug:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Geez, what was with CN's obsession with that Goober and Ghost Chasers thing? I remember thinking the same thing when it originally aired. They nominated it for nearly everything.
An obvious joke. I never even had the chance to see the show myself until a year or two ago when Hanna-Barbera put some episodes up on their online service, and I can tell you, that's one show that sure isn't award-wothy.

Mickialla

Suave Incarnate
An obvious joke. I never even had the chance to see the show myself until a year or two ago when Hanna-Barbera put some episodes up on their online service, and I can tell you, that's one show that sure isn't award-wothy.

Yea, I never really saw that show ever, but it looks like one of the few lackluster Hanna-Barbera shows. It was, like Jabberjaw and a few other shows, a total Scooby-Doo copy. But at least Jabberjaw was an ok show IMO. This show didn't look too great.
What online H-B service are you talking about?? And how can there be an online H-B surface if H-B dissolved into WB like 7 years ago?? :confused:

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
What online H-B service are you talking about?? And how can there be an online H-B surface if H-B dissolved into WB like 7 years ago?? :confused:
I'd look it up and give it to you if I wasn't so lazy, but last time I checked, Hanna-Barbera's offical website has or at least had a handful of classic cartoon s on there, ranging from everything from The Flintstones to Jabberjaw to Jungle Girl to the afore-mentioned Goober & the Ghost Chasers.

I'm pretty sure that WB and HB are still partly together, sicne WB releases HB's DVDs.

Mickialla

Suave Incarnate
I'm pretty sure that WB and HB are still partly together, sicne WB releases HB's DVDs.

No, there is, sadly, no more Hanna-Barbera. After it was absorbed by WB after William Hanna's unfortunate death, Hanna-Barbera assimilated into WB, and the byproduct formed was Cartoon Network Studios. Though H-B was no longer a real production company, it's name was used on WB productions of movies of Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry, which Joe Barbera, who was alive, continued to produce. But when Joe Barbera died in 2006, Hanna-Barbera ended completely, and it's not really even used on distribution tags anymore. The last movie based on an H-B property that had the H-B name on it was Chill Out Scooby Doo, which premiered in the summer of last year IIRC. There hasn't been any since...

Pomegranate

No, there is, sadly, no more Hanna-Barbera. After it was absorbed by WB after William Hanna's unfortunate death, Hanna-Barbera assimilated into WB, and the byproduct formed was Cartoon Network Studios. Though H-B was no longer a real production company, it's name was used on WB productions of movies of Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry, which Joe Barbera, who was alive, continued to produce. But when Joe Barbera died in 2006, Hanna-Barbera ended completely, and it's not really even used on distribution tags anymore. The last movie based on an H-B property that had the H-B name on it was Chill Out Scooby Doo, which premiered in the summer of last year IIRC. There hasn't been any since...

Yeah, the deaths of both Hanna-Barbera founders are indeed tragic, isn't it? Also, I wish Turner would've stayed independent of TW, so CN might've continued their legacy as an all-ages animation network:( !

Mickialla

Suave Incarnate
Yeah, the deaths of both Hanna-Barbera founders are indeed tragic, isn't it? Also, I wish Turner would've stayed independent of TW, so CN might've continued their legacy as an all-ages animation network:( !

It's interesting that you say that. I've pondered more than once what would've happened if Turner stayed separate from TW. Would Hanna-Barbera have dissolved into Warner Bros. Animation? I don't think it actually would. Which would've definitely meant that Hanna-Barbera would've still been around in some form today, and not Cartoon Network Studios. Personally if you ask me, I think the Cartoon Cartoons that were produced by Cartoon Network Studios/Hanna-Barbera (The Hanna-Barbera subsidy not the actual studio) were better than when they were taken over by Cartoon Network Studios (the actual studio). I mean, think about it, shows like Dexter, Johnny Bravo, and PPG, all became a little worse after H-B dissolved and CNS took over. It makes me wonder...

Pomegranate

It's interesting that you say that. I've pondered more than once what would've happened if Turner stayed separate from TW. Would Hanna-Barbera have dissolved into Warner Bros. Animation? I don't think it actually would. Which would've definitely meant that Hanna-Barbera would've still been around in some form today, and not Cartoon Network Studios. Personally if you ask me, I think the Cartoon Cartoons that were produced by Cartoon Network Studios/Hanna-Barbera (The Hanna-Barbera subsidy not the actual studio) were better than when they were taken over by Cartoon Network Studios (the actual studio). I mean, think about it, shows like Dexter, Johnny Bravo, and PPG, all became a little worse after H-B dissolved and CNS took over. It makes me wonder...

And not to mention the fact that TW tends to treat Turner like the plague! For instance, they make CN pay a hefty fee for any usage of Looney Tunes, Superman or any of their other assets, even though they own 'em lock, stock and barrel. And to add insult to injury, TW also thinks of animation as some children's entertainment medium, even though it was meant to be enjoyed by everyone. There's really no point in having any ownership of Turner what so ever, if TW won't make any use of the assets they've acquired by gobbling them up:shrug: .

Mickialla

Suave Incarnate
And not to mention the fact that TW tends to treat Turner like the plague! For instance, they make CN pay a hefty fee for any usage of Looney Tunes, Superman or any of their other assets, even though they're both under the same corporate umbrella. And to add insult to injury, TW also thinks of animation as some children's entertainment medium, even though it was meant to be enjoyed by everyone. There's really no point in having any ownership of Turner what so ever, if TW won't make any use of the assets they've acquired by gobbling them up:shrug: .

That's a really good point. I didn't really realize how much TW treats Turner like poo, especially in the last few years. I mean, back in the day when TW first acquired Turner, CN was still treated awesomely, most of the Kids WB shows were rerun on CN and everything else pretty much stayed the same. Now its just terrible how bad TW treats Turner.

Ace Goodheart

Hey guys, I just finished a much-needed re-vamp of this thread's opening post, and made a few corrections to my other posts on the first page. Initially I was against editing years-old posts, as I felt that everything in this thread should remain "as is", but I figured that it's the least that I could do after this thread was once-again re-stickied (and I hope it remains that way! :sweat: ) to make it easier for new visitors to the thread.

Looking back, I remember how I initally began work on a '90's CN timeline that was inspired (yet to be more accurate and detailed) by "The X Bridge's "Toonami Timeline". I only ever got up to write about 1992-1994, and promised to continue the timeline the day after.......but never did. :p And I don't think I ever will, as Wikipedia has since beaten me to the punch. Besides, its very difficult to try and organize old CN events and programming, as we fans have only been able to go by VHS recordings and archived internet posts.

Jack_6428

Hey guys, I just finished a much-needed re-vamp of this thread's opening post, and made a few corrections to my other posts on the first page. Initially I was against editing years-old posts, as I felt that everything in this thread should remain "as is", but I figured that it's the least that I could do after this thread was once-again re-stickied (and I hope it remains that way! :sweat: ) to make it easier for new visitors to the thread.

Looking back, I remember how I initally began work on a '90's CN timeline that was inspired (yet to be more accurate and detailed) by "The X Bridge's "Toonami Timeline". I only ever got up to write about 1992-1994, and promised to continue the timeline the day after.......but never did. :p And I don't think I ever will, as Wikipedia has since beaten me to the punch. Besides, its very difficult to try and organize old CN events and programming, as we fans have only been able to go by VHS recordings and archived internet posts.

yup, you shure did alot of job and i am happy for this thread..i never want the old CN forgotten, never.

on topic: what about your G-Force VHS ? What show promos you found so far ? If there are promos for any of these shows, please upload :) :
Addams Family
The Centurions
Swat Kats
Captain Planet
World Premiere Toons/What a Cartoon
Silverhawks
Tigersharks
Thundercats
The Mask
Birdman
Space Ghost
Thundarr

ill be crossing fingers lol, good look on watching...if you know where could i buy some old CN tapes from someone, please tell me... :) thanks

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts