Old-School CN Nostalgia Thread (1990s)

abwayax

Operation Time Capsule guy
you do know today is the youtube boycott

Boycott? Does this have something to do with those new "beta" channels they were planning to force on us today? They pushed that back.

Anyway, I've been uploading stuff to Operation Time Capsule. I got some of Ace's bumpers in, as well as Powerhouse stuff from Dayd111 and yossi411.

The fact that Ace puts lots of bumpers into one 10-minute video is nice, but they have to be separated for OTC's purposes, so I have to manually go in and parse out the separate videos. That's why it's taking so long.

KITT1982

The Knight Rider
Boycott? Does this have something to do with those new "beta" channels they were planning to force on us today? They pushed that back.

Anyway, I've been uploading stuff to Operation Time Capsule. I got some of Ace's bumpers in, as well as Powerhouse stuff from Dayd111 and yossi411.

The fact that Ace puts lots of bumpers into one 10-minute video is nice, but they have to be separated for OTC's purposes, so I have to manually go in and parse out the separate videos. That's why it's taking so long.

yep the "beta channel boycott" I guess we won this battle for now

P.S. thanks for uploading these great memories

ECDT1089

Your everyday automobile geek!
Does anybody remember the Superman Powerhouse era bumpers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace Goodheart

Strong, Digilent, Fearless

Heh, sorry about that. I'm just trying to upload as few videos as possible, and to squeeze as much into 10 minutes as I can. Much more convenient that way. As I continue going through my tapes, there's been less new material to record, and lots and lots of repeats of stuff I've already recorded/uploaded to sort through. Seeing as most of my recordings were done on the same timeslot (6PM-6:30PM weekdays). and not scattered throughout the day/night like some of you guys recordings, this was inevitable. Oh well, better than nothing at all.

I'm liking the OTC revamp too!!!

Oh, and my latest video compilation is up, it covers the first half of February 1995. Lots of "World Premiere Toons" hype, seeing as the legendary event would be simulcast on the three Turner networks (TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network) on President's Day '95 (February 20). I remember it as if it were yesterday. I knew from the start that this whole project was going to be BIG. I recall them airing the Dexter's Lab pilot a lot in that event (I believe it was the first WPT to air, not sure). Check out for cameos of the late Hanna & Barbera, Ralph Bakshi and a young up-and-comer named Craig McCracken who was "making his first-ever cartoon". :D

Jack_6428

thanks for uploading.. !
swat kats at 5:30...nice xD
but i guess you wont have a promo for them somewhere since the production ended in January...but maybe...in March/April..they still aired..since they showed them end of February..

now just to get CNZone101 to upload Toon Tamasha lol...

Kevin

Great stuff, Ace! Keep 'em coming! These clips bring back a lot of memories. I definitely remember when World Premiere Toons was starting and how they were heavily promoting it.

King

I'M GOING TO JAPAN!
I kind of stop watching CN around 2006. Many of my favorite shows were done or gotten the boot. Personally, I really don't blame to much what CN is doing. I personally blame the censorship.

I mean, for example: PowerPuff Girls. Back then the show was rated "TV-Y7-FV". Its pretty much for kids over 7 and up, but the show have some fantasy-violence in it, so it might have some things that normal 7 year old can't handle. But nothing to bad. But, now. PowerPuff Girls (,Now in days) are rated "TV-PG". Why? I mean, why change the rating? Just in 10 years, a show that started with "TV-Y7-FV" to "TV-PG" change like that. I think kids now in days can handle it; like the kids handle it (Like me) back 10 years ago. So, why change it?

I personally find today the censorship are to strict with cartoon shows, unlike the past. I mean, you can place little jokes that adult can get. And telling a story thats a little mature; then some old place "Saving the world" or "Beating one bad guy". I think the censorship became very strict around 2006.

The reason why I like the CN around the 90's was they were a little loose. Does anyone remember Johnny Bravo? They're tons of jokes that they gotten away from. Nothing bad or anything.

I personally see Ed, Edd n Eddy kept the 90's CN feel for me.

But thats my opinion.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I mean, for example: PowerPuff Girls. Back then the show was rated "TV-Y7-FV". Its pretty much for kids over 7 and up, but the show have some fantasy-violence in it, so it might have some things that normal 7 year old can't handle. But nothing to bad. But, now. PowerPuff Girls (,Now in days) are rated "TV-PG". Why? I mean, why change the rating? Just in 10 years, a show that started with "TV-Y7-FV" to "TV-PG" change like that. I think kids now in days can handle it; like the kids handle it (Like me) back 10 years ago. So, why change it?
When was PPG rated TV-PG?

King

I'M GOING TO JAPAN!
That was mainly because the pilot on the DVD is titled "The Whoop*** Girls".

Oh, I didn't know that. But I still think todays censorship is still to strict (IMO).

Jack_6428

look what picture i found on the net:

33p5408.jpg

A frame from a Centurions bumper from Cartoon Network Europe

Ace Goodheart

Strong, Digilent, Fearless
UPDATE: I just finished combing through Tape 5 of my six tapes featuring CN material. Tape 5 ends at April 19, 1995 (a date MUCH more infamous for another tragic event). This is the last of the tapes that was recorded in order. The final one, Tape 6, is a hodgepodge of stuff from mid-April 1995 to July 27, 1995, which is where this ambitious project ends. I'm not sure I'll even be able to correctly catalog the dates with whatever I get out of that tape......at the very least it'll be challenging.

I have a backlog of videos which I have to encode and upload. I've already uploaded up until March 24, and got one more video coming down the pike. No time to catalog the vids on YT (apparently people are being lazy and not watching because of the lack of a list of promos and time index on the video description.....bastards :p).

For Jack_6428, no "SWAT Kats" as of yet, sorry. However, the latest video package on the way contains a couple 15-second "Power Zone" promos. Yep, "Power Zone" in its first incarnation (Saturday late-night action block). So......stop hassling me already! If I find anything, it'll simply pop up in one of my video packages. If I don't, then it ain't there. ;)

Hope you've been keeping an eye on all of this Mr. OTC. :) Sorry, I know it must be a hassle to try and parse all of those individual clips, but I'm trying to upload as few clips as possible, max out that 10 minute limit, you dig?

How about we make this thread less of a blog post/promo request and actually talk about the stuff that you're being reminded of through all of these clips? The long-defunct programming blocks, the one-time specials and promotions, the style and technique of CN's "Checkerboard"-era interstitials?

Jack_6428

UPDATE: I just finished combing through Tape 5 of my six tapes featuring CN material. Tape 5 ends at April 19, 1995 (a date MUCH more infamous for another tragic event). This is the last of the tapes that was recorded in order. The final one, Tape 6, is a hodgepodge of stuff from mid-April 1995 to July 27, 1995, which is where this ambitious project ends. I'm not sure I'll even be able to correctly catalog the dates with whatever I get out of that tape......at the very least it'll be challenging.

I have a backlog of videos which I have to encode and upload. I've already uploaded up until March 24, and got one more video coming down the pike. No time to catalog the vids on YT (apparently people are being lazy and not watching because of the lack of a list of promos and time index on the video description.....bastards :p).

For Jack_6428, no "SWAT Kats" as of yet, sorry. However, the latest video package on the way contains a couple 15-second "Power Zone" promos. Yep, "Power Zone" in its first incarnation (Saturday late-night action block). So......stop hassling me already! If I find anything, it'll simply pop up in one of my video packages. If I don't, then it ain't there. ;)

Hope you've been keeping an eye on all of this Mr. OTC. :) Sorry, I know it must be a hassle to try and parse all of those individual clips, but I'm trying to upload as few clips as possible, max out that 10 minute limit, you dig?

How about we make this thread less of a blog post/promo request and actually talk about the stuff that you're being reminded of through all of these clips? The long-defunct programming blocks, the one-time specials and promotions, the style and technique of CN's "Checkerboard"-era interstitials?

Hey Ace, you are right :p. This is a big update for sure. Read it all.
Hm, it seems it's getting chaotic lol, but, you will pull it off easily.
Yea, i noticed you haven't put up the description in the vids, but i don't
care, it's old CN. What more to say? If there isn't any description, atleast
I'm more suprised when i watch the vids lol.

Hm, well..no SK..but, you've made it up for me...PowerZone promos...that probably is even better than a SK promo lol!! Good work :) Thanks! Im excited alot. Hey, Im not hassling you lol. Im just appreciate your work TOO much haha. :D But yea, ill keep that in mind.

So, to talk about the things instead of requesting, before we do that, I need to make one last request going to yossi (CNZone101):

Amigo, please upload Toon Tamasha!!! :crying::D:D:D Ill even pay you and your friend, just upload it lol.

Ok, let's chat. :) Youve seen the frame from a Europe bumper for Centurions ive posted above? One thing I wanted to know for a long time now...do you know or know where to find out:
Who did the voice-overs in commercials/promos in the Checkerboard era of CN USA ?
Who did the voice-over in commercials/promos for CN India in the 90's ?

Here are clips to help:
CN USA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-5RXXOV9n4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f06Xh8EPIoo

CN India:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G22p59vo0Wc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbvLZSe4lhM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxmwNue_fi0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHbVSx8fW2E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLBAzDfVg5Q

Thanks :) I know they are kind of familiar voices, but i cant figure out the names lol... Now we have something to chat about ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Season 6 of Total Drama (production code-wise), Pahkitew Island, made its American debut a decade ago.

It's my favorite season of the show (behind all 3 of Total Dramarama's) and has the best cast of the series, which includes the 2 best characters of the franchise, Leonard and Max (who should've been the finalists).

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.

Featured Posts