Old-School CN Nostalgia Thread (1990s)

Jack_6428

Alright, Alright I have some free time now and am still talking to the Toon Tamasha friend on a weekly basis. He should send it out soon. As for Toonami, I am still sorting those.

thank you, you just made my day a little brighter :) I will wish you luck with it...oh boy, this is getting exciting haha :D

Jack_6428

hahahaha Well, I'm working on a new video for my Youtube entitled "The Ultimate Nood Bumper Collection" which is going to have every Nood bumper to date.

From now on, I am going to release a compiliation of some sort every 3 weeks. Whether it be "The Ultimate Nood Bumper Collection" or "The Best Powerhouse Video Ever". In September I plan to release "Eustace Bagge's Stupid Dog! Collection" where I put together every and I mean EVERY time Eustace says "Stupid Dog".

When my friend sends the Toon Tamasha stuff (which I don't know what that is), I'll either release it as a normal video, or release it as a compilation.

hm...all noods will be nice..just like Eustace's shouts haha :p good luck in putting all that together...

About the TT stuff... well, maybe you should release it as a normal video (not with powerhouse videos), since it will be too different from rest of the stuff... or you could ask your friend what Tamasha material he has, how many of it... wheter the opening, closing, bumpers, id's, commercials, promos...and by that decide i guess... and make a Toon Tamasha compilation...neverthless im looking really forward...!

abwayax

Operation Time Capsule guy
Okay. This is big news for all the Powerhouse guys here.

A few days ago, someone at Primal Screen told me (through the Operation Time Capsule YouTube channel) that fans were calling them to request that they make more bumpers for CN. I said that I wasn't doing it and that there was no effort to do so.

Afterwards, he then told me that he had spoken with the owner/creative director and they might be digging through their archives to find stuff for us. It seems that they're actually somewhat flattered by all the attention nostalgic CN fans give to their work for CN.

He also said he looked through OTC's YouTube channel and could clear up some things. For example,
I also was looking through some of the posts on the youtube page and saw some things talked about that I can clear up. The red background versions of the bumpers were only done for a very few. they were from before 2000 and TVs couldn't really handle reds very well and on those bumpers the red would bloom out and bleed into the other animated elements. It looked pretty bad so that color was discontinued as one of the daypart versions.
So there's why the Red bumpers weren't used that much.

So, if you've got a request for bumpers or a question on the 1997-2004 "Powerhouse" reface, post it (or send it to me I guess) and I'll forward it to him.

ECDT1089

Your everyday automobile geek!
Okay. This is big news for all the Powerhouse guys here.

A few days ago, someone at Primal Screen told me (through the Operation Time Capsule YouTube channel) that fans were calling them to request that they make more bumpers for CN. I said that I wasn't doing it and that there was no effort to do so.

Afterwards, he then told me that he had spoken with the owner/creative director and they might be digging through their archives to find stuff for us. It seems that they're actually somewhat flattered by all the attention nostalgic CN fans give to their work for CN.

He also said he looked through OTC's YouTube channel and could clear up some things. For example,

So there's why the Red bumpers weren't used that much.

So, if you've got a request for bumpers or a question on the 1997-2004 "Powerhouse" reface, post it (or send it to me I guess) and I'll forward it to him.

So that's why the red bumper backgrounds weren't used that much. I remember the red versions of the "Scooby Doo Movies", A "Pup Named Scooby Doo" and the movie called "The Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't" bumpers. They showed the red versions of "Scooby Doo Movies", A "Pup Named Scooby Doo" bumpers during a Scoobdy Doo special. And the bumper for "The Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't" was a bumper specifically made for it with the narrator of the bumper actually saying "We'll Be Right Back to the Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't", and "Now, Back to the Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY would like to see the red background bumpers more than anything and maybe the Godzilla bumpers (with the variation of the Cartoon Network logo). Its been so long. Please, man. Please, please, please. I'm like the biggest fan of the Powerhouse bumpers.:D

I also remember the format - Red Background with Yellow Title text.

abwayax

So that's why the red bumper backgrounds weren't used that much. I remember the red versions of the "Scooby Doo Movies", A "Pup Named Scooby Doo" and the movie called "The Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't" bumpers. They showed the red versions of "Scooby Doo Movies", A "Pup Named Scooby Doo" bumpers during a Scoobdy Doo special.
I'll see what I can do.

And the bumper for "The Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't" was a bumper specifically made for it with the narrator of the bumper actually saying "We'll Be Right Back to the Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't", and "Now, Back to the Thanksgiving That Almost Wasn't.

Was this actually a Powerhouse theme bumper? I don't think movie/special event/marathon bumpers had the Powerhouse theme. Even if so, Primal wouldn't have a version with the narrator's voice. CN adds the narration in; Primal and the animators only have a version with no vocals.

Ace Goodheart

Strong, Digilent, Fearless
Hey Ace, the Indian PowerZone logo was on CN USA in 1996 aswell afterall !!! Check it out! I was right :D

This is a frame from the 1996 Optus Vision promo:
dep3lc.jpg

And this is that frame from the Indian PZ SK Promo:

x2s677.jpg

So this Swat Kats promo might have aired on CN USA aswell afterall !!

And one other thing..i found on one of my tapes written:
Toons Agogo
Give a Toon for Xmas

anyone have any idea of what these were?

I don't think that "Optus Vision" promo was from the U.S CN, despite the English voiceover.

josie

Finally I found some old CN UK/Europe videos. These are with Polish soundtrack from 1996/1997.

This one has Dexter's up next checkerboard bumper, they were so good with that music and the colour combination. There there's the segment called Toon Bite which airs when a cartoon finishes too early. It includes cartoon clips, this time it's Mask. Then there are promos and ads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QidEBnxfjj4&feature=related

This is a commercial break during Batman, at the end there's a short back from break bumper. Since Batman was a new show at the time it didn't get a regular checkerboard bumper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js0P001iNBg&feature=related

This is a commercial break during Dexter with the checkerboard back from break bumper at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL9Bc_QKIhU&feature=related

Ace Goodheart

Strong, Digilent, Fearless
That's Primal Screen's official YouTube channel apparently. They were the guys behind CN's "Powerhouse" format.

Dudley

Staff member
People say what they want about the others, but Powerhouse bumps are my favorite. Every cartoon they aired had their own set!

Holy crap! They made bumps for Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys, Dumb and Dumber, and Felix the Cat! I didn't even know they aired on the US network!

My only request is that they post at least one bump for each show. I'd love to see the Rocky and Bullwinkle, Taz-Mania, Beetlejuice, and Road Rovers bumps again.

abwayax

Check out this channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/PrimalScreenAtlanta

There are loads of powerhouse era bumpers including the RED Background ones. Also, I think we should add Halloween to that list of backgrounds.

Yeah - as I said before I was in talks with one of the guys at Primal and they agreed to post up several bumps. He also told me he's going to look for more when he has time (which might be in a few weeks), too.

People say what they want about the others, but Powerhouse bumps are my favorite. Every cartoon they aired had their own set!
Not every cartoon... but close enough. ;) Powerhouse has always been my favorite, but then again I grew up with them (too young for Checkerboard and too old for City or Noods). It's almost an obsession with me, collecting these bumps and (re)discovering my childhood. I've been at it for almost 3 years now :)

Holy crap! They made bumps for Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys, Dumb and Dumber, and Felix the Cat! I didn't even know they aired on the US network!
I'm not sure about the others, but I don't think Felix did - that bumper is in Spanish.

My only request is that they post at least one bump for each show. I'd love to see the Rocky and Bullwinkle, Taz-Mania, Beetlejuice, and Road Rovers bumps again.
I didn't know they made bumps for Rocky and Bullwinkle. I always remember seeing the generic late-night bumpers used with that show (or maybe that was Dudley Do-Right)

In case you haven't already seen it, I do in fact have a Road Rovers bumper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95vbn7jxdbM

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Happy 4th of July, Light Lucario. I really hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. Have a wonderful evening.
BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.

Featured Posts