"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 10 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoryWilliams

When it comes to the twisted synergy infecting Marvel these days, it's the comics that take their cues from the animated TV series (as well as the movies), not the other way around.

Yeah, that's not true at all. The movies have a big impact, but the TV shows, not nearly so. They never put the SHIELD training academy into the comics, Sam Wilson is not the Falcon in the comics, nor is he a teen tech genius in a suit of armor. The Hulk and Thor identities are used by entirely different characters. The line-up of the Avengers in the comics hasn't looked like the one in the show since the first arc of the Avengers Assemble comic from several years ago. And then immediately after the first arc, Kelly Sue Deconnick changed up the roster by adding in Spider-Woman and Captain Marvel. Or look at the Agents of SMASH. In the comics, they depowered both A-Bomb and Red Hulk, and that was before the show was cancelled.

As for the comics not having an impact on the TV shows anymore? Miles Morales, Agent Venom, and Kaine as Scarlet Spider are all very recent concepts from the comics. As are the Black Order, who were used in Avengers Assemble. That's not even getting into the usage of very recent characters like Kamala Khan or people like Moon Knight having their modern designs. Or heck, Lash from the Inhuman comics being one of the main villains in Agents of SHIELD. Unless you're gonna claim Miles, Kamala, Agent Venom, and Scarlet Spider were created specifically at the behest of the showrunners (despite some of those characters ya know, predating the show itself), then that doesn't hold true.

There are some scattered influences from the cartoons on the comics (like White Tiger), but anyone saying the comics do not influence the TV shows anymore isn't paying attention.

Last edited:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Did Fitz just say sabotage with the short "a" pronunciation like William Shatner? That's what it sounded like :D .

Roxas_Sora

I have seen a couple of new promos in Youtube and I spotted some info:
+ In "Lizards", it seems Rhino and Agent Venom fight against a group of Agents of SHIELD turned into copies of the Lizard.
+ In "Beached", it seems the Vulture will return, he will kidnap Spider-Man and take him to an island which seems to be the same island where SHIELD imprisoned Sandman originally.
Dock Ock controls an army of Sandman, it seems similar to what he did to Lizard.

By the way, The LemsterPju, Rhino is not a villain again. (At least not yet, and I would like he would stay not villain). "Rhino attack" could have meant during an exercise between the Web Warriors and SHIELD's trainees, like we saw in the first promo image of the episode.

Adding to the Madame Web and "Lady in Red" connection, here's Julia Carpenter's Madame Web look
Classic Madame Web also wore a red suit (Cassandra Web), as well as Ultimate and Classic Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew).

Frontier

Staff member
New clip with Fitz and Simmons on Variety.com.

"Rhino attack"

I guess Alex is a villain again. Already.
Man, it's weird hearing Fitz and Simmons's in a cartoon and being voiced by their actual actors from Agents of SHIELD. I mean, I think they're doing a decent job, but it's still takes some getting used to o_O.

I don't think the line implied Rhino's turned to villain again. It sounded like he just destroyed one of the LMD training bots they use for training and that was part of a malfunction that happened at the Triskellion.

If anything, it seems like something's up with Dr. Conners :eek:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Zap2It TV Listings has some title for April:

S04, E08 Anti-Venom 4/03/2016
S04, E09 Force of Nature 4/10/2016

No summaries available yet. I'm guessing these won't be the only episodes premiering next month.

Frontier

Staff member
Zap2It TV Listings has some title for April:

S04, E08 Anti-Venom 4/03/2016
S04, E09 Force of Nature 4/10/2016

No summaries available yet. I'm guessing these won't be the only episodes premiering next month.
Huh, so we're apparently getting Anti-Venom...Interesting.

I wonder if this version will still be Eddie Brock, finally working him into the show o_O?

Another thing from Wacker's run he can check off the list I guess :p.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I never thought we'd ever see Anti-Venom in animation, TBH. I do hope we get to see Eddie Brock, though I never cared for him in the Ultimate comics.

spyke

Yeah, that's not true at all. The movies have a big impact, but the TV shows, not nearly so. They never put the SHIELD training academy into the comics, Sam Wilson is not the Falcon in the comics, nor is he a teen tech genius in a suit of armor. The Hulk and Thor identities are used by entirely different characters. The line-up of the Avengers in the comics hasn't looked like the one in the show since the first arc of the Avengers Assemble comic from several years ago. And then immediately after the first arc, Kelly Sue Deconnick changed up the roster by adding in Spider-Woman and Captain Marvel. Or look at the Agents of SMASH. In the comics, they depowered both A-Bomb and Red Hulk, and that was before the show was cancelled.

As for the comics not having an impact on the TV shows anymore? Miles Morales, Agent Venom, and Kaine as Scarlet Spider are all very recent concepts from the comics. As are the Black Order, who were used in Avengers Assemble. That's not even getting into the usage of very recent characters like Kamala Khan or people like Moon Knight having their modern designs. Or heck, Lash from the Inhuman comics being one of the main villains in Agents of SHIELD. Unless you're gonna claim Miles, Kamala, Agent Venom, and Scarlet Spider were created specifically at the behest of the showrunners (despite some of those characters ya know, predating the show itself), then that doesn't hold true.

There are some scattered influences from the cartoons on the comics (like White Tiger), but anyone saying the comics do not influence the TV shows anymore isn't paying attention.

1. The WEB WARRIORS comic,the SHIELD/AGENTS OF SHIELD comics that feature characters from the TV series,turning Quake into an Inhuman,the current version of Deathlok,Reptyl,Coulson being the head of SHIELD,Daredevil's current costume being black and red,and the current White Tiger (which you have already mentioned) are ideas that were all taken (be it completely, or in the case of the new Deathlok, partly) from the TV series.

2. Sam Wilson not being Falcon and being Captain America instead,Jane Foster being Thor,and Amadeus Cho being the new Hulk in the comics are all temporary sales boosting gimmicks designed to appeal to idiot speculators and to gain mainstream news media attention. If you think that those changes in the comics are going to stick, then I have a piece of prime farming real estate to sell you on the moon. Heck, Steve Rogers is already going to be Cap again. And while Marvel claim that Sam will continue to be Cap, the low and falling sales figures on the SAM WILSON CAPTAIN AMERICA comic is proof that he won't be Cap for long.

3. I NEVER said that the comics "didn't have an impact" on the TV shows. I said that the TV shows didn't take their cues from the comics in regards to being more faithful to the source material from the comics instead of the movies. And introducing new characters or new versions of characters is completely different from doing faithful (or semi faithful) adaptions of stories from the comics.

RoryWilliams

The WEB WARRIORS comic

The Web Warriors comic is a sequel to the Spider-Verse comic book. The name may be taken from the show but it was not a premise that originated on the TV show.

2. Sam Wilson not being Falcon and being Captain America instead,Jane Foster being Thor,and Amadeus Cho being the new Hulk in the comics are all temporary sales boosting gimmicks designed to appeal to idiot speculators and to gain mainstream news media attention. If you think that those changes in the comics are going to stick, then I have a piece of prime farming real estate to sell you on the moon.

If that's the case, then your theory that All-New, All-Different Avengers was done to tie into the TV show makes even less sense. You said Nova is gonna join the cast of Avengers Assemble because he's an Avenger in the comics, and that the move to have him be an Avenger in the comics was taken from the TV show.

If the comic was just an attempt to sync up with the Avengers Assemble cartoon, why would they bother using a cast that consists of a bunch of characters who don't appear on the TV show, and who by your own account are only temporary stunts anyway?

And introducing new characters or new versions of characters is completely different from doing faithful (or semi faithful) adaptions of stories from the comics.

No, it really isn't. They're doing stuff from the comics. It may not be stuff that you personally like, but trying to claim that it's because "The comics don't influence the TV shows, it's the other way around!" is provably false. If that were the case, half these people wouldn't even be showing up.

And regardless, the comics have been taking stuff from adaptations as long as adaptations have been made. That's not even debatable. This was not a new trend that started recently from Marvel.

Frontier

Staff member
Wacker answers some more questions:

No plans for Eddie Brock.
Huh. Wonder what that might mean for the show's version of Anti-Venom o_O.

Pretty much the same kind of response he and Slott usually give to people who still complain about OMD to this day.

While I can get being frustrated at people constantly complaining about the current stuff and something in the past that's likely not coming back, it's still not going to stop people from feeling very strongly and passionately about Spectacular and how things ultimately ended there. Heck, even to this day, I still miss Spectacular (like I miss a lot of cartoons).

Just my two cents on the subject :shrug:.
She and Falcon were the only main Avengers who've yet to have a solo team-up with Spidey, setting aside Contest of Champions (though that was more in a group environment), so I'd be down for seeing Spidey and Widow team-up this season ;).

Just so long as we don't see Widow demonstrating more super-strength like her last appearance on the show :sweat:.

Frontier

Staff member
Well the show did do Carnage without Cletus Cassidy. So maybe Flash Thompson will become Anti-Venom?
Maybe, but Anti-Venom is supposed to be effective against Symbiotes and cure Spider-Man's powers, so I would assume the show would pit Flash and Peter against whatever Anti-Venom is on the show.

If it is Flash, I don't expect it to be permanent so he can keep being Agent Venom ;).

ClodClavo

Cool to hear Black Widow might appear. Makes sense with the current Spider-Theme they got going on.

I'm guessing Harry might become Anti-Venom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Please help find lost media of English dubs like DiC knights of the zodiac, 4kids Funky Cops, Gogoriki, Hasbro Idaten Jump
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Hi, Light Lucario. I just want to mention that today is my birthday. I'll be having a nice family barbecue tomorrow to celebrate. Hope to hear from you soon.
Wonder why Nickelodeon still shows We Make Fun version 1 promo even though version 2 has been updated this year?
Almost forgot to listen to this before the day was up.

Featured Posts