Old-School CN Nostalgia Thread (1990s)

abwayax

Operation Time Capsule guy

Ace Goodheart

Strong, Digilent, Fearless
I had seen it many times already on YT, still a great promo though.

"Hey Top Cat, tune in to Cartoon Network, "G-Force" is on!!!"

I especially liked that line by Elroy Jetson, and it was sort of appropriate that he was wearing an astronaut's suit as well. :)

Also, here are to two animation companies, "Curious Pictures" and......don't remember what the other one's called, but "Curious Pictures" did the unique opening sequence and wraparounds/bumpers for the old "Mr. Spim's Cartoon Theatre" and the other company did the bumpers and wraparounds for the late '90's re-vamp of "Super Chunk". Curious Pictures has the Mr. Spim opening up along with a kids-oriented Cartoon Network "Big" promo on their catalog:

http://www.curiouspictures.com/commercials/directors_oakes.html#

Here's the link to the other company:

http://www.charliecanfield.com/jobs.html

Look for "Cartoony Club" and "Cartoon Network".

Last edited by a moderator:

oldcbsfan

Sploing,Boing,Bam,Splat!
badmeat_design_superchunk_03.jpg
My bad on that comment. :sweat: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bbqUVV-3HIQ Here's a snapshot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace Goodheart

Thanks oldcbsfan, you saved me the trouble of linking to one of my videos as I was coming to do just that...............I am "SuperAdventures" just in case you didn't already know. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVYB-iORDS4

Here's the link to the intro to "Mr. Spim's Cartoon Theatre" which I took upon myself to upload. I STILL wonder if that creepy big head at the beginning is the elusive "Mr Spim".

S

Sasuke_Uchiha

Man I wish a lot of cartoons are still showing. I loved Dexter's Lab, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Johnny Bravo, Scooby Doo and a lot more. Now the cartoons stink! They make the dumbest jokes not even as great as the 90's cartoons.

Narf

Bringin' retro back!
Man, I love '90s Cartoon Network. Why the heck did they get rid of the checkerboard logo? It was awesome! My guess is that they wanted it to be more 'modern'. So, what? Checkers isn't modern? Well, no, it's not. But still. People still play checkers, and people still watch CN, so why do away with it?
Gee, that was a waste o' space. But I can still see old cartoons on Top 5 every once in a while. And Fight Before Christmas is on tomorrow, and Courage is still airing. That's enough retro for me, but I still miss Johnny Bravo, and What-a-Cartoon (I ♥ Larry & Steve and Fat Cats, by the way), and all those other good shows. At least Dexter's on Boomerang.

Ace Goodheart

Could you guys help me lobby to possibly get this thread stickied again? I continue to see threads regarding Old-School CN pop up (and promptly shut down) and well, this should be the place people should come for that kind of stuff!

abwayax

Operation Time Capsule guy
Well, I'm all for getting this thread re-stickied, but unfortunately new classic material hasn't been coming in as much nowadays.

Master Toon

What is your fondest memories of Cartoon Network?

This is a thread for everyone to announce their fondest memories of Cartoon Network. Now, instead of just naming a new show or something, try to mix in something from Cartoon Network and something from your real life. But if it's just a series premiere or something feel free to post it. I'll go first.

I remember when Cartoon Network first played Boo Boo Runs Wild, my best friend stayed over for the night and we watched it. We stayed up almost all night talking about it and imitating Boo Boo.

I remember when I had the Chicken Pox and I would wake up every morning (and miss school) and watch A Pup named Scooby-Doo and other various Cartoon Network shows.

I remember one time everyone in my class sung a little bit of the Magilla Gorilla for Sale song (from the Magilla Gorilla Groovie) while the teacher was out of the classroom. It was silly but funny since everyone in the class watched Cartoon Network enough to know the words.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
CCF was one of the best things in my life. I guess I do remember watching Speed Racer and Tex Avery show (I think) with my dad at night when my mom was at work.

Djm912

Cartoon Planet. Just absolute hilarity. Nothing else on Cartoon Network had made me laugh that hard.

And some really outstanding episode of Dexter's Lab that really showed that Cartoon Network was on the cutting edge of animation.

danreyes1

Cartoon Network was the first channel to grab my attention when I moved to America. Hours upon hours of animation. I was hooked instantly. This was back when CN aired nothing but reruns, but I loved them all the same. My favourite years are from 2000-03, where I feel they were at their best, especially with Toonami, Adult Swim, and Cartoon Cartoon Fridays. This also happened to coincide with my high school years. 03-04 was particularly hard for me, where I went to a horrible first year of college miles away from home, and CN was one of the few things to bring me pleasure. Ironically, when I got out of that nightmare and my life got better, the network got worse. It has looked slightly better recently though. Here's hoping...

Umandsf

Well, the same company who made that show made a similar show, albeit not as great, so you may catch it if they bring it around these parts. ;)

And yes, I loved the groovies, especially being the type of person who'll listen to almost every genre of music. I really wish there was some kind of compilation of every single one ever created.

Supernovametalstar

I remember one of the first CN shows I saw were Dexter and Powerpuff Girls. The Dexter episode was the Justice League parody. I laughed throughout the entire thing. The PPG episode I saw was the one with Bubbles needing glasses. Those, along with Gundam Wing on Toonami and Thundercats and Silverhawks made me think "where has this channel been all my life?"

Good times, good time...

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
My cable company first started receiving Cartoon Network back in 1995. I remember tuning in at midnight to see it first 'come in'. The very first thing I saw on the network was a Barney Bear cartoon (keep in mind, this was 1995).

The first few weeks Blackstar and I would tune in to see shows which we hadn't seen in years...but alas, since there were no new episodes, the novelty quickly wore off, with the H-B reruns anyway. The WB and MGM cartoons were always good anytime.

Another fond memory of CN I have is watching my first episode of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast. I had previously read about the show in an issue of Toon Magazine and thought it was going to be stupid beyond belief, but when I saw it, I was hooked. I've been a fan ever since.

The regin of the early Cartoon-Cartoons, from Johnny Bravo to Powerpuff Girls to Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy to Sheep in the Big City. Good times.

Another high point for me was Toonami. The 3-hour Toonami (with Sailor Moon, Reboot, Gundam Wing, DBZ, Tenchi Muyo! and Outlaw Star) was the pinnacle of cool back then. I seriously bonded with my 2 brothers while watching those shows.

Finally, there was the Saturday night Toonami consisting of Justice League, Megas XLR and Yu Yu Hakusho. A whole 90 minutes of solid goodness.

Pity so much of CN went south so dramatically since then...

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 10 year anniversary to The 7D.
PF9
I wonder what cartoons Caitlin Clark likes
Xilam is one of my most favourite animation studios, I enjoy alot of their cartoons from Hubert and Takako, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Zig and Sharko. Xilam is a studio that has inspired many and has created endless classics that we enjoy.

What's your most fond memory of Xilam?
Given how Drew Barrymore's production company Flower Films has mainly made live action projects for older audiences, them producing the TV special Olive The Other Reindeer and the Netflix preschool show Princess Power are definitely quite unusual. It would certainly explain the humor of the latter.
According to TVInsider, MTV2 will premiere Sponge on the Run movie on Sat Jul 13 at 6pm

Featured Posts