Old-School CN Nostalgia Thread (1990s)

Craig Crumpton

This is a close-up?

.bg

I remember when new episodes of SGC2C were shown regularly, in a permanent time slot. Them's were the good old days.

Ace Goodheart

Strong, Digilent, Fearless
YES! The full "Cartoon Network Rap" finally surfaced on the internet! Much to the delight of those who remembered and wanted to hear the full version I bet! :D

Not just that, but a couple of new old-school CN clips have also popped up on YT in the last month, including MORE variations of the checkerboard bumpers! Quick, someone get Mr. Operation Time Capsule on this!

More 1995 Cartoon Network LA (Latin America) bumpers and IDs, which of course were originally used here in the U.S:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1KEksSjJBGw

Various early-mid '90's CN bumpers, including yet another variation of the musical checkerboard promo and many promos utilizing a country music-like piece that was often used in early '90's CN segments (all of these were captured off of a TV using a camera unfortunately):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nCn6q5wgj10

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-DumJ5FHJek

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sFRbnfy5NBU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CR57yQ1STkQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=46Upia_HY2c

Ace Goodheart

What are the lyrics for the rap?

Let me give it a shot..........

Here I go I'm 'bout to freak the flow,
about the CARTOON NETWORK! and things they show,
We got the "Super Adventures" "Toon Heads" and "Late Night",
its "Black & White" but everything's all right
but I'll break it down a little bit more
tell you what they have in store
when its toons you're looking for,
We got Fred Flintstone, and Barney Rubble
My man Top Cat, he causes trouble,
Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny,
Popeye, Atom Ant and Droopy D (one, a-two!)
But let's not forget about my homeboy Quest,
Space Ghost, Centurions and the rest
of the Galaxy Trio, and the Fantastic Four,
you know we got more in store
Secret Squirrel and the Banana Splits,
Thundarr the Barbarian gives fits (?)
to the villains, Magilla Gorilla is still chillin',
How much is the monkey in the window over there?
but here come the Jetsons flying through the air,
and we got the Smurfs running 'round over here,
right around the corner is the Hillbilly Bears,
Penelope Pitstop........(confusing, don't know?),
So Olly-Olly Oxen-Free,
my man Dastardley and Muttley they be rollin with the MC,
the "Morning Crew", with Snagglepuss
and you know he's real true, yeah, UH!
So moving right along 'cuz we're coming to the end,
and pulling up the rear is Yogi and his friends
so tune in, and gather 'round if you wanna be down
We got the best 'toon stars around!
(cue chorus)

It was a fairly elementary rap, so I understood most of it except for that Penelope Pitstop part. :)

Umandsf

I finally got around to finishing watching the extras on the PPG Season 1 DVD (again), and once again, I regret not seeing more of Space Ghost. Probably because I was too young to understand it all. :sad:

The promos were also nice to see into the past. But alas, those days are pretty much over. Time to move on, but to not forget the good times of the past.

Wow, that's the deepest thing I've written so far. :anime:

Mr.Penguin

Can't beat the rap
This is kind of off topic, but...don't you [everyone here] think this should be a "sticky" thread? It's really good, really long and something people can keep discussing, so I think it should be.

Ace Goodheart

It actually was a sticky thread for a couple of weeks some ages ago, but then it got de-stickied again. I figure because of its age (3 years old in May) that the mods don't think its worth it to sticky it anymore. Should've lobbied for it earlier............

I'm hoping it doesn't die or get purged though. So much progress throughout the old-school CN fandom all over the 'net was started here, not just by me but by guys like Kevin, abwayx, the guy who provided the 10th anniversary clip early on in the thread and so much more.

Mr.Penguin

Can't beat the rap
I do kind of remember this being a sticky. It should still be though, some other forums have "sticky-threads-for-life" no matter what. If I would've known I would've said something.:sweat:

I hope it doesn't either:sad: ...this bump might've helped though! It's on the top of the page again.

Kevin

On the subject of old school stuff, I wanted to point out that Cartoon Network for the first time since 2004 aired Looney Tunes content, not counting Bah Humduck. On Monday, Feburary 11, they aired Bugs Bunny 1001 Rabbit Tales. This was truly a shocker, and here's the hoping they'll bring back more Looney Tunes content like Daffy Duck's Quackbuster, The Loony Loony Loony Bugs Bunny Movie, etc considering Looney Tunes still continues to remain off the air on US TV.

Skeeter

Roving Wanderer
A lot of my good memories of CN come from all the discoveries (or re-discoveries) of shows that were run during the late '90s. Like the one Friday that I was home from school (I was either sick or else we just had a day off) and found out that Smurfs aired in the mornings and Pound Puppies was in the afternoon just after lunch time. (The latter I set my VCR to record religiously after that; unfortunately some poor judgement on my part has lost me a good chuck of what I recorded.) Or watching my first Saturday "Super Chunk" and getting introduced to Speed Racer. I remember that that Saturday also happened to be the very first visit my mom and I paid to our now-favorite bi-annual flea market.

And, CN was also where I was temporarily reunited with my friend Underdog. That made me happy.

I also remember a lot of the old CN bumpers, like "Cartoon Network Mailbag" (who here remembers the "Pirates of Dark Water finale" letter?), "Cartoon Network's Thing to Do Today" or the Cartoon Crisis Hotline.

And I remember fondly back when late nights on CN meant not anime, Robot Chicken and other Adult Swim programming, but shows dedicated to older cartoons like The Tex Avery Show and Toonheads, as well as O Canada!. Not to mention Space Ghost Coast to Coast, with Cartoon Planet on Saturday mornings.

-Kim

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
1998:
falling in love with Cow and Chicken at my grandmother's house (she had it; I didn't yet)
my first Space Ghost Coast to Coast (Monty Python's Terry Jones = bonus points)

2000:
Cartoon Cartoon Fridays + SGC2C
discovering Ed Edd n Eddy (finally, a show with a cast of children that didn't preach to you!)
Tenchi Muyo! premieres (my first anime :anime:)

2001:
Outlaw Star premieres (chopped up as it was, I have no regrets)
the launch of Adult Swim (much needed diversion in the wake of 9/11)
Daft Punk & Gorillaz videos on Toonami (finally saw Interstellar 5555 last night, just now remembered)
Samurai Jack, Justice League premiere

2002:
Adult Swim Saturday action block (2/23/02 - happy birthday to me!)

2003:
Futurama on Adult Swim (now five nights a week)
SVES (Teen Titans, .hack//SIGN, Superfriends)
Rurouni Kenshin premieres

2004:
Megas XLR premieres (died too soon)
Animatrix on Adult Swim

PC!

lolwut?
I also remember a lot of the old CN bumpers, like "Cartoon Network Mailbag" (who here remembers the "Pirates of Dark Water finale" letter?), "Cartoon Network's Thing to Do Today" or the Cartoon Crisis Hotline.

Now that's old school, especially the "Cartoon Network Thing To Do." I don't recall them very well, but I remember the one about the viewer being the escaped convict having to escape from Droopy.

"Then you finally end up back in jail. Then you turn around, and oh my god, there he is!"

I also remember the drawing segment they used to have. One time they drew Bullwinkle. They started with his antlers, then promptly gave up. Lazy artists. :p

simpsonsfan

Froakie - Bubble Frog Pokemon
Staff member
I first saw Cartoon Network at my Aunt's house who had it and was instantly hooked. The first thing I saw was Bugs and Daffy. After that I had my Aunt make tapes of it so I could watch it at home. But sadly I've taped over most and only have one left. I wish I had known how bad Cartoon Network would get. By the time I had it at my house was in 2006 when I got Dish Network and by then all I liked on there was Foster's. I hope CN gets better.

Slipperman

Progressive Rock Fan
The channel was great to watch through the mid-to-late '90s when they first started out, but my fondest memory of CN was when I saw Tara Sands for the first time on the Fridays block back in 2005 and fell in love with her.

Now that CN has fired her and replaced Fridays with the filth that is Fried Dynamite, CN has absolutely nothing to offer me now. :crying: :mad:

Tim (aka the Slipperman)

Ace Goodheart

I doubt it.

Oh, and Kevin, Mr. OTC, let's just say (and please don't get your hopes up just yet) that in the last month I've (literally)gotten my hands on a handful of some circa January-July 1995 CN footage (to be more specific, almost all episodes of "G-Force') and they're CHOCK full of commercials from that time period, which in turn translates to lots of bumpers, commercials and ID's (many of which I've yet to get to I suppose; lots of tapes, lots of hours of recordings, very little time). From what I've seen so far, there's a LOT of "World Premiere Toons" stuff.

I was waiting to drop this bombshell a couple of months from now when I'm done with school and have the free time to dedicate to these tapes, but I just HAD to save my beloved thread! :(

So yeah.......patience should definitely a virtue for both you and I. It's best if I don't bring this up again until around May, when I'll have time+money to dedicate to this daunting task, and also make sure that my efforts won't be in vain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

BlooCNBoy02 wrote on 2 quid is good's profile.
Thanks for the following days ago. :)
Your avatar looks interesting.
Happy 4th of July!
Oh, it's my birthday!
The New Woody Woodpecker Show was just removed from Peacock... Can this show just take a break from being screwed over?

Featured Posts