Old International Fox Kids/Jetix Channels Memorial Thread

TVArchive

I am curious about something. Between 2000 and 2004, Fox Kids Romania/Russia/Turkey had the same feed. Why did Turkey leave the Romania/Russia feed and open the Turkey/Middle East channel after 2004? Couldn't there be a single channel with Turkey/Romania/Russia/Middle East feed?

@RegularCapital I want to ask the same question. Turkey feed of Fox Kids/Jetix was broadcast from London or Istanbul? I don't remember Fox Kids, but there was no Turkish text on Jetix, only the www.Jetix.com.tr
Fox Kids ME (Turkey and the Middle East) was launched as a separate channel in 2000, and in 2001 it was merged with Fox Kids CEE (Romania and Russia). In March 2004, Fox Kids ME became an independent channel again. The channels were operated from London

Moleoman

I am curious about something. Between 2000 and 2004, Fox Kids Romania/Russia/Turkey had the same feed. Why did Turkey leave the Romania/Russia feed and open the Turkey/Middle East channel after 2004? Couldn't there be a single channel with Turkey/Romania/Russia/Middle East feed?
According to 2003 Fox Kids Europe Annual Report (Fox Kids Europe N.V.) the feeds were separated to allow sale of local advertising in addition to pan-regional deals.

Another reason for separation of feeds is the fact that for some shows (such as "Totally Spies" and "H2O: Just Add Water") they didn't own broadcast rights for Turkey and MENA.

RegularCapital

Staff member
A feed is usually localised because of the four following reasons:

1. Local Advertising (as Moleoman just said, as evident in the Fox Kids Annual Reports).
2. The need for dubbing (so the local audience can understand the shows, which is needed to make the use of point number 1).
3. Programming Rights, the execs realise that there's some shows they could acquire which could be popular in a possible new split off localised area, but would be costly to buy the rights for the countries where it may not be popular, or they can't get the programming rights for one part of the regional feed due to a rival.
4. Diverse Audience: The execs realise that the audience in one large part of their region is significantly different in what they like, which would require a different schedule, which would mean a different feed.

Review Metabee

Who gets stuck with all the bad luck?
According to 2003 Fox Kids Europe Annual Report (Fox Kids Europe N.V.) the feeds were separated to allow sale of local advertising in addition to pan-regional deals.

Another reason for separation of feeds is the fact that for some shows (such as "Totally Spies" and "H2O: Just Add Water") they didn't own broadcast rights for Turkey and MENA.
Weirdly enough, this annual report claims that FOX Kids Play was "relaunched in the UK" via Telewest...

The UK didn't have FOX Kids Play...

RegularCapital

Staff member
Weirdly enough, this annual report claims that FOX Kids Play was "relaunched in the UK" via Telewest...

The UK didn't have FOX Kids Play...

As @JulianRO, mentioned, in the UK, Fox Kids Play was an interactive service and not a channel, it was first available via Energis's Brightblue, a shortlived third-party interactive service available on Sky (as the company went bankrupt), later on PlayJam, available on Two Way TV on NTL, and directly through Telewest's service. In terms of extra channels, UK and Ireland had a one-hour timeshift, and that was it.

JulianRO

The Turkish/MENA feed was the weakest feed of Jetix, mainly because TS didn't air on it.

On the other hand, the Israeli feed was the best in my opinion, because it had lots of Fox Kids series airing for most of its lifetime. In fact, they aired these shows along with Disney shows too, since 2007.

TVArchive

ratings
1000237581.jpg

Francisque

Weird how they specified Belgium but not Switzerland.
Often it's just taken for granted that the three main linguistic communities of Switzerland get TV from Germany, France and Italy I guess

While Flanders, at least in the past, produced more autochthonous TV

Again, my guess.. it might also be many people are still ignorant on what language they speak in the northern half of Belgium, sadly, while Switzerland is well, Switzerland

But I thought Flanders got no Fox Kids at all?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Often it's just taken for granted that the three main linguistic communities of Switzerland get TV from Germany, France and Italy I guess

While Flanders, at least in the past, produced more autochthonous TV

Again, my guess.. it might also be many people are still ignorant on what language they speak in the northern half of Belgium, sadly, while Switzerland is well, Switzerland

But I thought Flanders got no Fox Kids at all?
But it's not taken for granted here. Italy has 1 next to it, not 2. They forgot about Switzerland.

Flanders got Fox Kids on cable in Leuven and on satellite everywhere. This picture is from 2007, when Jetix was available as a pay channel everywhere in Flanders.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The first South Park movie is 25 years old today.
New profile pic: Zadie from Work It Out Wombats!
The CSC Channels prior to 2017 were actually amazing. A shame it was all thrown under the bus.
Lesson learned. Never talk to anyone ever.

Featured Posts